Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 03:00 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. The density of anywhere you’d want to live keeps going down due to the low birth rate among non-immigrants. A couple with no children wants a 3br because they both telecommute and need home offices.
One could only hope that these folks just head on down to Charlotte, Raleigh or Nashville for cheaper rents/homes in 'better' climates.

I think its crazy that in Google Street View, in just 2012.. only 8 years ago... you could see *1 Bedroom Condos from 295k!* in the Seaport/Fort Point area. Those would easily be over 650k now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 06:02 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Getting back on topic, I do notice amongst my older friends a trend in people nearing retirement age or already retired selling and getting out of Massachusetts and heading to warmer climates. I think many of them are taking advantage of the still hot real estate market and making sure they sell before the bubble bursts (whenever that happens).

Old 12-28-2020, 06:35 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Getting back on topic, I do notice amongst my older friends a trend in people nearing retirement age or already retired selling and getting out of Massachusetts and heading to warmer climates. I think many of them are taking advantage of the still hot real estate market and making sure they sell before the bubble bursts (whenever that happens).
If you need some or all of the proceeds from the sale of your house to purchase another, then you would be thinking like that.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:22 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
that's what I heard argued for decades now. Sell in a high priced market and then move to a lower cost. the difference between housing markets you put in savings or investing to help with retirement. College communities aside I don't know that many that go to the northeast to retire. Different markets are a different game. I have an old friend that moved to the south west and pretty much is fine. another moved to the south east and frankly came back when the job market soured. Sometimes family ties keep people here. I know of one woman who went though a bad divorce so she moved back in with her mom and brought her kids. that's the other issue in high priced markets. If it is dependent on two incomes that itself is dependent on those parties getting along. where my folks live is nick named divorce ally because it seems that many move after seven years. I know some might think that urban rentals are where there are few connections and short term stays but I've seen the opposite. One of the houses next to my folks is on their 4th tenant since 1993. but again if the house goes up in value and they sell it and move the house doesn't move with them. So in an upward market you can easily have high turnover. Say it goes 200K to 300K in five years they sell and buy something at 250K and take the 50k. then it goes up to 300k to 400K and then repeat and repeat. Again nothing wrong with housing going up but it's like investments. Investments always have different time frames to sell off. I've done well but I'm not looking to sell off everything but I'm taking the tax advantages of a roth.

Retirement means something different for everyone. I used to work with a guy who was retired (it was just light work). His retirement was playing one round of golf every day at the same course first thing in the morning. That's it..uh well if he likes it. I know others that can't wait to retire but retirement factors in a few significant factors

1) Are you going to be in the same health in the future vs now. Yeah you can see yourself traveling, eating, parasailing etc. But what if this makes

2) Do you know if the area would still have that possible? Say you like skiing at some place and then it shuts down by the time you retire

3) How many friends and relatives will be around when you retire

4) How many friends and relatives will have time for you

When you can't do the things you used to do, can't see the people you want to see and if you can't they don't have time for you and things are shut down (even before covid) it really closes things up. I'm not saying people shouldn't retire but the idea that someone won the lottery or that suddenly *NOW* they can start living is misleading at best. You have to live your life when you can.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:55 PM

959 posts, read 533,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Depends on which neighborhood. It’s actually probably not a bad thing for siblings to share a room. Probably gives people certain positive characteristics in life since it involves sharing a space. I always had my own room. I never had a sister, I’m sure nice bonds are formed from sibling room sharing. Too bad many just view it as not providing well for their kids if they don’t have their own room these days.
I agree with you completely. I’m originally from USSR where we had many nice benefits one needs to pay through the nose here, but living arrangements were well.. poor. Families with 1-2 kids usually had 1-3 room (not bedroom) apartments, so siblings shared rooms most of the time. Here is US we and most of our friends have larger houses with bedrooms for each kid, but kids are often so lonely. If I had younger kids again I’d probably put them in the same bedroom so they’d communicate more, learn to share space better.

Another feature I really missed bringing up our son here was public transportation accessible for kids. It’s insane for kids to wait till they get the first car to become independent. I remember using bus/trolleybus/tramway/underground subway to get to my activities since my second grade. Our parents didn’t worry about our teenage years, because we were already used to certain independence.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:04 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
I agree with you completely. I’m originally from USSR where we had many nice benefits one needs to pay through the nose here, but living arrangements were well.. poor. Families with 1-2 kids usually had 1-3 room (not bedroom) apartments, so siblings shared rooms most of the time. Here is US we and most of our friends have larger houses with bedrooms for each kid, but kids are often so lonely. If I had younger kids again I’d probably put them in the same bedroom so they’d communicate more, learn to share space better.

Another feature I really missed bringing up our son here was public transportation accessible for kids. It’s insane for kids to wait till they get the first car to become independent. I remember using bus/trolleybus/tramway/underground subway to get to my activities since my second grade. Our parents didn’t worry about our teenage years, because we were already used to certain independence.
If you move into Boston Chelsea Everett Brookline Somerville or Cambridge your kids can be independent. Better than 99.9% of American cities in that regard. I was pretty mobile and independent by 14/15. I started using the T by myself occasionally around 11.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:27 PM

959 posts, read 533,795 times
My kids are grown up. We originally arrived to Brighton, but after a year of kindergarten realized (and teacher advised us) we needed to move out. Brookline was very expensive, so we moved to burbs. I think they’d be for many. Other places just don’t have good public schools. At least 10-20 years ago.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:20 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Eh. I think any local district can be good as long as parents are attentive. It doesn't matter how affluent people are if they're no attention at home.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:01 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Eh. I think any local district can be good as long as parents are attentive. It doesn't matter how affluent people are if they're no attention at home.
In theory, yes. In practice, it's very helpful to have a critical mass of educated upper middle class families who can elevate the school rankings and draw in economically diverse families who prioritize their child's education over quality of life (e.g., a larger home, cheaper rent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts