Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 03:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,937,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is terrible when a teen become pregnant but it happens. I am pro life but realize that there are times when terminating that pregnancy is the best thing for all involved however letting a 16 year old kid make such a serious mental and physical decision is close to child abuse.

A 16 year old kid needs her parents input, guidance, wisdom and compassion.

I think it is disgusting that the Democrats are so keen on abortion in the first place. The Democrats tell us that a young persons brain is not fully developed to understand and be held accountable for their actions (criminal) until they are in their mid 20's but they keep pushing to let kids at 16 vote.

Kids under 18 can't buy spray paint at Walmart but they want them to get abortions. Who is paying for these procedures?
They don't "want them to get abortions". They want them to be able to make a choice without necessarily involving a parent who may be many things: distant, abusive, uninformed, an alcoholic, etc etc etc

It's very possible that the needed "guidance, wisdom and compassion" will have to come from an adult who is not the parent. Do you really think that young girls who turn up pregnant confide a lot in their parents??

Old 01-01-2021, 05:28 PM

37,153 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Would you call gestation, labor, delivery and raising a child and/or giving a baby up for adoption to be a “serious mental and physical decision?
For all of which the minor can give consent for herself and her child.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:32 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,348,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I don’t want to go off subject but if evolution is a fact. How was time created?
Strat from here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_physics...but obviously you don't actually care about it.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:38 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,348,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They want them to be able to make a choice without necessarily involving a parent who may be many things: distant, abusive, uninformed, an alcoholic, etc etc etc

It's very possible that the needed "guidance, wisdom and compassion" will have to come from an adult who is not the parent. Do you really think that young girls who turn up pregnant confide a lot in their parents??
A young girl can get pregnant even having a good relationship with their parents. But this law is not made for those cases. The ideal case scenario in which you can talk to your parents, discuss openly, then they support you...that's really not the target of this law. These people are still going to talk to their parents.

Some people make it sound like the law bans teens from talking to their parents about it. If you are afraid that your girl may get an abortion without telling you about it maybe you should change the way you interact with her.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,261,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
What do you think the “correct” psychological impact of having an abortion should be?

I felt very relieved after mine, and more so after my follow up appointment when my pregnancy test was negative. Is that a “psychological impact”?
Bragging about having an elective abortion.

Its official...Ive heard everything now.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:48 PM

16,045 posts, read 7,070,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is terrible when a teen become pregnant but it happens. I am pro life but realize that there are times when terminating that pregnancy is the best thing for all involved however letting a 16 year old kid make such a serious mental and physical decision is close to child abuse.

A 16 year old kid needs her parents input, guidance, wisdom and compassion.

I think it is disgusting that the Democrats are so keen on abortion in the first place. The Democrats tell us that a young persons brain is not fully developed to understand and be held accountable for their actions (criminal) until they are in their mid 20's but they keep pushing to let kids at 16 vote.

Kids under 18 can't buy spray paint at Walmart but they want them to get abortions. Who is paying for these procedures?
It is odd that you are not showing any concern that they are having sex at this age with the benefit of parents “ input, guidance, wisdom and compassion.” Those parents who support their daughter getting an abortion are also the same kind of parents. Young women who are not so privileged, who have to make their own decisions, know no such parent exists.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:51 PM

16,045 posts, read 7,070,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Bragging about having an elective abortion.

Its official...Ive heard everything now.
You too can brag about the medical procedures you are free to have. It is because of the toxic misinformation that is spread about how women feel about abortions, it is important to give testimonies that women feel no such thing and are in fact relieved, not to mention the men in their lives who love them.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:56 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,048,201 times
I’ve also had my wisdom teeth removed. I’m such a braggart!

Old 01-01-2021, 10:07 PM

21,717 posts, read 12,859,764 times
People are on here shaming her for having an abortion? Nasty stuff. Close thread.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:29 AM

23,722 posts, read 18,816,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Another abortion topic in which the loudest objectors are old conservative men ... and NOT the demographic which actually leverages the services. Particularly disappointing is the supposedly staunch libertarian claiming genocide ... maybe rethink your political identity.

::rolls eyes::

As others have stated, if a 16/17 year old wants to make the rational choice of avoiding a lifetime of poverty, she should not have to rely on consent from potentially irrational parents. Particularly true in certain social spheres such as the heavily catholic Latinx community which polls well outside the American median on abortion rights.
So Catholics are irrational now??? WOW. Btw once you start using terms like "latin"X"", your credibility is instantly destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Even if your last bit were true...Do you realize how huge a few months or a year is to a 16/17 year old?? Talk about a disconnect..

And if they’re good parents they should not have to worry about their daughter sneaking behind their back by or an abortion, and if she does and she’s a good teen as you said-then they can trust she’s making the best decision for her because they raised her right. See, easy peasy.
That is EONS to a 16/17 year old, another example of why they need adult figures in their lives. And when did I say they are all "good" teens??? Some AWFUL kids come from good homes. Plenty more half decent kids can easily even temporarily fall under the wrong influence, have a single lapse of judgement or be a victim (yes that happens to all kids not just those from broken dysfunctional homes).

Anyway, we could go on all day with every single hypothetical situation where this new law will either help or hurt some. There will be winners and losers. Doesn't matter at this point, because it's a done deal and we have decided that a 16-year-old girl has better judgement than an adult and knows better than her parents. The question now is what kind of precedent does this set for other things. Is a 16-year-old now an adult who should be able to buy alcohol, tobacco, weed? Can vote? Serve in the military? I guess 15 is still a child? Or is it??? 20 years from now, will we be having this same conversation about 14-year-olds? Shouldn't they be in charge of their own medical care as well? What could go wrong there?

Was anybody here ever 16?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts