Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 05:34 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Was anybody here ever 16?
It's clear that some of them are still there, psychologically and emotionally. A mind is a terrible thing to waste on brainwashing and self delusion.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 01-02-2021 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-02-2021, 06:48 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People are on here shaming her for having an abortion? Nasty stuff. Close thread.
Agree.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:30 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
So Catholics are irrational now??? WOW. Btw once you start using terms like "latin"X"", your credibility is instantly destroyed.

That is EONS to a 16/17 year old, another example of why they need adult figures in their lives. And when did I say they are all "good" teens??? Some AWFUL kids come from good homes. Plenty more half decent kids can easily even temporarily fall under the wrong influence, have a single lapse of judgement or be a victim (yes that happens to all kids not just those from broken dysfunctional homes).

Anyway, we could go on all day with every single hypothetical situation where this new law will either help or hurt some. There will be winners and losers. Doesn't matter at this point, because it's a done deal and we have decided that a 16-year-old girl has better judgement than an adult and knows better than her parents. The question now is what kind of precedent does this set for other things. Is a 16-year-old now an adult who should be able to buy alcohol, tobacco, weed? Can vote? Serve in the military? I guess 15 is still a child? Or is it??? 20 years from now, will we be having this same conversation about 14-year-olds? Shouldn't they be in charge of their own medical care as well? What could go wrong there?

Was anybody here ever 16?
Oh, the victimhood complex maintained by some.

Yes, irrational is what I’m calling deeply pro-life parents who insist their 16 year old should have a child when she lacks the financial, emotional, or necessary support mechanisms (e.g., a present father figure) to raise said child.

Yes, it’s more of an ‘issue’ in lower income religious communities where the word of the priest/pope trumps objective rational thinking. In higher income families, regardless of WASP status, abortion largely remains THE option as the parents understand life as a single mother at age 16/17 can easily become hell on earth ... best to avoid the hells you know exist.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:41 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Oh, the victimhood complex maintained by some.

Yes, irrational is what I’m calling deeply pro-life parents who insist their 16 year old should have a child when she lacks the financial, emotional, or necessary support mechanisms (e.g., a present father figure) to raise said child.

Yes, it’s more of an ‘issue’ in lower income religious communities where the word of the priest/pope trumps objective rational thinking. In higher income families, regardless of WASP status, abortion largely remains THE option as the parents understand life as a single mother at age 16/17 can easily become hell on earth ... best to avoid the hells you know exist.
How many of "these people" are in your world Shrewsburried?

Old 01-02-2021, 07:46 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People are on here shaming her for having an abortion? Nasty stuff. Close thread.
I agree.

It's not about the MA law or Massachusetts anymore and anti-abortion/pro-choice arguments could go on forever. (and obviously have)

Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
How many of "these people" are in your world Shrewsburried?
Attended a diverse high school of nearly 2000 students which, in my years of attendance, had zero pregnancies. If you think that was because 2000 high schoolers abstained, I have a bridge to sell you.

Yes, I know quite a few woman who had abortions (including an ex and a family member). Most did so quietly for fear the ‘pro-life’ members of the family would add further drama to an already uncomfortable situation.

Having watched my wife struggle through a later term miscarriage (high risk multiples pregnancy) and eventual birth of our current son, I feel men should have ZERO say in the choices woman make regarding their personal health. It’s an inherently risky affair which holds life long emotional weight.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Attended a diverse high school of nearly 2000 students which, in my years of attendance, had zero pregnancies. If you think that was because 2000 high schoolers abstained, I have a bridge to sell you.

Yes, I know quite a few woman who had abortions (including an ex and a family member). Most did so quietly for fear the ‘pro-life’ members of the family would add further drama to an already uncomfortable situation.

Having watched my wife struggle through a later term miscarriage (high risk multiples pregnancy) and eventual birth of our current son, I feel men should have ZERO say in the choices woman make regarding their personal health. It’s an inherently risky affair which holds life long emotional weight.

Doesn't sound like a truly "diverse" high school to me, then. Unlike probably yourself, I do know people (both guys and girls) who had kids real young and not a single one of them would agree with your idea that it's "the" option. One or two of them probably fell into that economic/racial/religious demographic you stereotype so much. I'm certainly not endorsing parenthood for 16-year-olds (and neither would they), but what you (and others here) have said is plain ignorant and cold hearted.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a truly "diverse" high school to me, then. Unlike probably yourself, I do know people (both guys and girls) who had kids real young and not a single one of them would agree with your idea that it's "the" option. One or two of them probably fell into that economic/racial/religious demographic you stereotype so much. I'm certainly not endorsing parenthood for 16-year-olds (and neither would they), but what you (and others here) have said is plain ignorant and cold hearted.
Here’s the difference ... you didn’t ‘come of age’ in a high stakes skilled labor economy.

The single mothers my age and younger in my sphere are drowning, even with heavy intervention and support from financially stable parents. The fortunate ones had or found a husband/partner who could provide sustained support and financial independence.

Different worlds, you and I.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Here’s the difference ... you didn’t ‘come of age’ in a high stakes skilled labor economy.

I didn't?

Quote:
The single mothers my age and younger in my sphere are drowning, even with heavy intervention and support from financially stable parents. The fortunate ones had or found a husband/partner who could provide sustained support and financial independence.
Of course many are (as are plenty who didn't have babies when they were teens), but again it doesn't sound like you have a substantial sample to go by.

Quote:
Different worlds, you and I.
That's becoming very apparent.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:19 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times
Oh the victimhood complex maintained by some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts