Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 08:25 AM

5,178 posts, read 2,751,149 times

Advertisements

Is there any data on how many youth are "forced" to carry babies to birth? I'd be interested in seeing it. I agree that there are situations where a parent shouldn't be required to be in the process, given the number of d-bag parents are out there who don't deserve children and should have never had them. But there is a process by which this can happen in the judiciary before a Court which engages in fact-finding. Sorry, no confidence in the judgement of non-profit staffers who are, in many cases, untrained or politically biased, despite the good work some of them do. I think the importance of using pregnancy as an opportunity to engage and connect disenfranchised youth to either concerned parents or behavioral health services should not be dismissed. That is, if you are really concerned about the people, and not the politics.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:30 AM

23,837 posts, read 19,000,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Is there any data on how many youth are "forced" to carry babies to birth? I'd be interested in seeing it. I agree that there are situations where a parent shouldn't be required to be in the process, given the number of d-bag parents are out there who don't deserve children and should have never had them. But there is a process by which this can happen. I think the importance of using pregnancy as an opportunity to engage and connect disenfranchised youth to either concerned parents or behavioral health services should not be disregarded.
As I've been saying right from the beginning, that is simply an abusive parent and I don't buy for one second that any of this abuse "suddenly" began after their daughter become pregnant. It was there to begin with, and had probably been going on for years and years. And it's still going to be there even after the girl "sneaks" an abortion. We need to fight child abuse, not hide, enable it or kick the can down the road. This new law leaves out intervention by the authorities, when they need to be.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 AM

16,921 posts, read 8,589,436 times
If I had gotten pregnant at 16 I’d have told my mother. I couldn’t imagine just going into a clinic on my own to have an abortion. However that doesn’t mean that other 16 year old girls are like me. Sooo I guess I think they should be able to decide if they want an abortion without their parents consent. It’s still their body and their life and having a child at 16 is obviously very serious. I don’t see what the point of beating someone for getting pregnant is especially if it’s your own child but apparently it happens.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:43 AM

5,178 posts, read 2,751,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As I've been saying right from the beginning, that is simply an abusive parent and I don't buy for one second that any of this abuse "suddenly" began after their daughter become pregnant. It was there to begin with, and had probably been going on for years and years. And it's still going to be there even after the girl "sneaks" an abortion. We need to fight child abuse, not hide, enable it or kick the can down the road. This new law leaves out intervention by the authorities, when they need to be.
Yes, it's highly unlikely physical abuse begins at this stage of the game and was ongoing. And this adds to my argument that the pregnancy should be used as an intervention tool to connect the person to services through a competent legal authority.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:49 AM

A lot of times people in abusive homes are the ones getting pregnant it seems. Looking for love because they don’t get it from their parents.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:13 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,281,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People are on here shaming her for having an abortion? Nasty stuff. Close thread.
Oh please, no one is shaming anyone.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:22 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,995,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A lot of times people in abusive homes are the ones getting pregnant it seems. Looking for love because they don’t get it from their parents.
Good point. These are the ones for whom this law works.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:32 AM

18,747 posts, read 33,498,936 times
From my time in working in mental health, I'd say that teens getting pregnant "looking for love" are looking at the guy for love (usually not another teen) and the pregnancy is a side effect of that, sex without B.C. for that love seeking. They are rarely wanting the pregnancy per se. Often come from households of several women with kids and no men living there, or mom's boyfriend. A two-parent household with a father there isn't so common, and that's not restricted to any one ethnic group.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:34 AM

I can’t say I ever hear of teenage pregnancy happening that often these days? Am I being naive there? The pill is pretty accessible.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:40 AM

23,837 posts, read 19,000,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
These are the ones for whom this law works.
It's already been explained here why it wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts