Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 09:36 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,413,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Why some on here think disclosure to MA courts is THE rational approach has me thinking they are pretty ignorant to the reality and not particularly loyal to the libertarian pundits/ideas which they hock.

By the time I was 16, I was doing lots of things autonomously. I was taught and trained to make my own decisions.

I think the people with the parental consent dogma are authoritarian. It's the same blue lives matter people on the cop threads.

Again, with an abortion pill at a clinic within 2 hours drive from just about all of Massachusetts, it's only the poor people who don't have the $600 and a car for the day who can't access the service. Any suburban 16-year-old I know of can do a home pregnancy test, scrounge $600, and get a friend to give them a ride to Enfield or Manchester or New London. The same people ranting about welfare abuse are insisting on parental consent. If a 16 year old in the projects pops out a kid, we all pay for it forever.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 9,442 times
People seem to be separating age of consent, abortion and welfare. The same 16yo girl who can consent to sex, but can't have an abortion, has to live without the social support to raise the child. Any legislation on abortion should tie in to age of consent and what happens to the unwanted kid after its born.

It's the same people who are mortified at the idea of abortion that will raise hell about increased taxes to help poor families. It's "all about protecting the children" until they pass the hymenal ring and then it's "their parents need to get off their asses and take care of their kids!"

Old 01-09-2021, 10:43 PM

15,898 posts, read 21,523,970 times
I grew up in one of the households that motivate lawmakers to bypass parental consent. Not all abuse is physical, and emotional abuse and medical neglect are both not only harder to spot and protect from, but also harder for the victim to recognize. I was a 23 year old going through counseling for cancer treatment before I finally realized that *I* wasn't the one who caused the problems between my parents and I when they didn't show up for their daughter who had a really good chance of dying. We were not estranged at the time and seemingly had a good relationship, but they prioritized planning and going on a European vacation rather than at any point visiting me, helping me logistically or financially, or offering any support. I though this was normal until coworkers who had adult children were horrified. Sadly, I've come to realize just how common emotional abuse and neglect is and know so well how that can be especially damaging for a pregnant teenager, regardless of the circumstances of the pregnancy.

While it worked out for me when I needed an abortion as a teenager in a different state but did not have access to it, that was luck rather than the natural way of things. I miscarried, and thus was able to get myself to the other side of the country on a full tuition scholarship to an elite university and, for the first time in my life, get regular and appropriate medical and mental health care. Not everyone is so lucky to be able to overcome their circumstances.

Had I ultimately carried through with the pregnancy, there's no doubt my life would be a much darker, different situation between what would have happened at home as well as the lack of social safety nets for pregnant women - healthcare, access to jobs and education, discrimination in the workplace (illegal, but it exists all the same).

With regard to parental consent for abortions, can a parent also force a 16 or 17 year old to have an abortion? Seems like if you do not allow one, the other would follow.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,514,067 times
abort it, harvest it for stem cells, and let god or the gods sort it out...if there is one.

I'm not paying for welfare and prisons.

I want my taxes going toward passenger rail and the space program

Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,437,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
The Democrats will continue the Genocide of Black Children under the cloak of " womans rights "

Don't make things about race that aren't. It's a general disrespect for human life plain and simple.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:18 AM

5,175 posts, read 2,749,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I think the people with the parental consent dogma are authoritarian. It's the same blue lives matter people on the cop threads.
There are a range of views within those who are concerned and/or raise questions about the parental consent piece. While some may have authoritarian leanings, all do not and there are numerous examples of the ever increasing ranks of hard leftist types (comically calling themselves liberals quite often) who enthusiastically support using state power or simply mob-rule to get their way. Similarly, one can demonstrate support for law enforcement, without condoning the acts of those who commit crimes. Unfortunately and ironically it is the "us vs them" sentiment of the type you are demonstrating a d the generalization of people based on some aspect of their position on a policy, which further supports dogmatic thinking and the inability to engage in discourse toward common ground. If you're unwilling to engage in nuanced discourse and make concessions toward mutually acceptable goals, then you're part of the problem regardless of how you define yourself politically or which party if any to which you subscribe.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 01-10-2021 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-10-2021, 06:27 AM

12,237 posts, read 8,156,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
abort it, harvest it for stem cells, and let god or the gods sort it out...if there is one.

I'm not paying for welfare and prisons.

I want my taxes going toward passenger rail and the space program
Basically. How do we get America to be as great as Central/Western European countries again are what my main focus is.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,514,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Basically. How do we get America to be as great as Central/Western European countries again are what my main focus is.

space mining

Old 01-10-2021, 04:17 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,987,563 times
yea its definitely ironic (but unsurprising) that the people who tell folks to wait till they're ready to have kids want to increase the odds 16-year-old who make poor decisions have kids (that they'll pay for via the social programs they hate).

Unsurprising only because conservative looks at the world one step at a time and are unable to think ahead or think cross-sectionally. If something is ironic, backward, outdated or especially oppressive you can reasonably expect there's a conservative voter somewhere nearby. Its like death and taxes-you can count on it,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts