Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 12:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times

Advertisements

I'm in general agreement. However, there's a lot of space between property that I would call a 'remarkably good value' and one that declines in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 12:49 PM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
The condo data matches what we saw. We were/are looking to buy additional investment property in B Bay/S End but there were certainly no bargains to be had.

All comes down to your own investment strategy, rationale, and opportunity cost. Our investment time frame is very long - investment income when we retire/hedge against inflation, and then pass the property off to the kids.

I was surprised to see areas like Allston have such a strong year (better than 2019) - lot of student rentals and recent grads, and I would have thought currently experiencing high occupancy.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:51 PM

23,557 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Interesting that I'm so optimistic compared to others. Over a 15 year time frame, I simply can't think of many scenarios where Cambridge, Back Bay, Brookline, Beacon Hill, Wellesley, Newton real estate decline in nominal dollars. All the while IMO, these are excellent places to live.

If you finance with a fixed rate mortgage, the carrying cost is surprisingly cheap. Granted, prices could very well drop in the short 5 year time frame; I won't pretend to accurately predict the short term.

15+ years yes, that's a big difference from 5 years. If you are a tech bro looking to do your 2-5 years in Boston and then bail to North Carolina once you get your experience, I firmly believe you are better off renting at the moment especially the way rents have been dropping. Same thing if you are an investor looking to flip a condo. Just a bad bet right now...

I realize those aren't all buyers, but they make up a very large segment of the Boston housing market.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
While I agree, people need housing and cannot sit around indefinitely waiting to see if there’s clean exit from massive central bank intervention and extremely tight inventory. Our lives are terminal.

What people can stop doing is suggesting this exact moment is the perfect time to buy given that we’re still in a global pandemic which has not yet terminated and could cause a massive shift in societal/corporate behavior, meanwhile nearly every asset is approaching or exceeding historic highs. 2009 was a great time to have a bullish thesis on housing, not now. Particularly not in the near term.

Opinions of a dude on an internet forum.

I view real estate as a place to live. Next home I buy will likely be for the long haul (15-20+ years), it will be a matter of going with the best I can comfortably afford regardless of where the market or rates are when that otherwise appropriate time comes. I also acknowledge however, that much of this forum views real estate as an investment tool and I try to give an informed opinion on that as well.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:02 PM

349 posts, read 320,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
15+ years yes, that's a big difference from 5 years. If you are a tech bro looking to do your 2-5 years in Boston and then bail to North Carolina once you get your experience, I firmly believe you are better off renting at the moment especially the way rents have been dropping. Same thing if you are an investor looking to flip a condo. Just a bad bet right now...

I realize those aren't all buyers, but they make up a very large segment of the Boston housing market.
I don't know of anyone in tech moving to LCOL areas with moribund tech scenes with comp to match. Moving to SF, NYC, and Seattle is far more common. I too would love not to pay 4x national average for comparable space. But many LCOL areas are LCOL for very good reasons.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I don't know of anyone in tech moving to LCOL areas with moribund tech scenes with comp to match. Moving to SF, NYC, and Seattle is far more common. I too would love not to pay 4x national average for comparable space. But many LCOL areas are LCOL for very good reasons.

Talking more mid-cost of living places. Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville, Kansas City, Columbus, Dallas, Austin, Denver...yes people in tech have been moving to those places in droves. The reason they are in a high cost of living place like Boston, is that's where you often go to start your career. But once you get your foot in the door and gain some pay/experience, other doors open up in more reasonable cities (where they often bring their level of comp with them, that they wouldn't otherwise enjoy had they began their career in one of those "outposts"). Of course the people leaving will be replaced by new grads and the cycle continues...

Old 01-25-2021, 01:20 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
If you could work anywhere...

Old 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
If you could work anywhere...
The RE bulls seem to be ignoring this possibility. I’ve had a number of long time contacts in the Bay area and Seattle reach out recently stating their employers were easing their on-site expectations and asking if I would be interested in a remote position assuming possible 10-20% travel. Same for my wife, though her focus on instructional design inherently biases remote learning and working.

However, I’m not assuming a permanent change as on-site collaboration is quite valuable in certain industries.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I was down the cape this weekend and we met a guy who had just moved to the cape from GA. He is in his mid 30s as is his wife. I was thinking that they were transient type cape people (he was wearing work boots) until he told me which house they had just purchased. It's a 1.2 million house. It's close to the beach but 1.2 million would have gone a lot further on the beach in GA, SC or NC. I can't always figure out why people make the real estate decisions that they do but I've seen some odd ones lately and they all seem to be people spending a million or more. I'm just not sure what the cape has to offer year round other than you're close to the beach. I didn't get into details with him but I'm speculating it was an I'm remote now let's move where we want type deal. They could have gotten a much nicer beach house down south with better weather year round.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:02 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Interesting that I'm so optimistic compared to others. Over a 15 year time frame, I simply can't think of many scenarios where Cambridge, Back Bay, Brookline, Beacon Hill, Wellesley, Newton real estate decline in nominal dollars. All the while IMO, these are excellent places to live.

If you finance with a fixed rate mortgage, the carrying cost is surprisingly cheap. Granted, prices could very well drop in the short 5 year time frame; I won't pretend to accurately predict the short term.
FWIW, I'm with you on this one. I bought in Boston during the pandemic and am not looking back. Many of us are targeting the desirable and expensive neighborhoods in Boston aren't doing so for a short commute, and that desirability hasn't changed as a result of WFH. Until similarly unique neighborhoods show up elsewhere (unlikely), it will always retain a value.

There's still a lot of demand in the $1.5-$4 million range in places like BB/SE. I'm not worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts