Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 03:28 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
There's still a lot of demand in the $1.5-$4 million range in places like BB/SE. I'm not worried.

Sure, but there may be people who paid comparatively big money in the sketchier parts of Boston to get the easy commute who might not experience that kind of market stability. Particularly when interest rates get back to something more historically normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 05:08 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure, but there may be people who paid comparatively big money in the sketchier parts of Boston to get the easy commute who might not experience that kind of market stability. Particularly when interest rates get back to something more historically normal.
Oh, you don’t think a normalized rate and 2-3 day ‘in office’ schedule would be kind to the 980k 3bd/2ba in Somerville which has excellent walking access to ... the 93 overpass, the Haitian Episcopal Church, and Main Street Video (according a recent review, no glory holes folks)?

Old 01-25-2021, 05:12 PM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
And rent has gone down:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01...gu5RiKJN2U0tYA

Old 01-26-2021, 06:30 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
This conversation has been brought up in every decade and every downturn. Boston real estate is always a good buy. Don't let the people who sold out to live in Pawtucket with a half acre talk you down. They have since seen their properties skyrocket, even through huge economic downturns.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:59 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
This conversation has been brought up in every decade and every downturn. Boston real estate is always a good buy. Don't let the people who sold out to live in Pawtucket with a half acre talk you down. They have since seen their properties skyrocket, even through huge economic downturns.
To believe this you’d have to ignore anyone who bought marginal properties in the declining rate environment of the late 80s and sold post S&L crisis in the ‘90s. Those properties took a decade+ to recover their valuations. Of course, those who held long can now claim to be genius investors while ignoring 3 decades of overt central bank intervention.

I’m not claiming prime Boston RE is anything other than relatively safe ‘harbor’, because it is. This said, I think many are willfully ignoring the catalysts which have gotten us here and how markets have already reacted to the most minor Fed increase targets. Was everyone asleep in 2018? Do we really think Boston RE is fully insulated from a rising rate environment where credit lines tighten and equities markets trade flat?

One can claim a “low floor” with relative confidence, but to suggest Boston RE is a “great value” seems like a slightly absurd bull thesis perpetuated by those who stand to benefit most from a continued melt up in equities and Boston RE.

But yes, in a declining market I’ll take the back bay condo over a top end SFH in Woburn.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 01-26-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-26-2021, 07:13 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
To believe this you’d have to ignore anyone who bought marginal properties in the declining rate environment of the late 80s and sold post S&L crisis in the ‘90s. Those properties took a decade+ to recover their valuations. Of course, those who held long can now claim to be genius investors while ignoring 3 decades of overt central bank intervention.

I’m not claiming prime Boston RE is anything other than relatively safe ‘harbor’, because it is. This said, I think many are willfully ignoring the catalysts which have gotten us here and how markets have already reacted to the most minor Fed increase targets. Was everyone asleep in 2018? Do we really thing Boston RE is fully insulated from a rising rate environment where credit lines tighten and equities markets trade flat?

One can claim a “low floor” with relative confidence, but to suggest Boston RE is a “great value” seems like a slightly absurd bull thesis perpetuated by those who stand to benefit most from a continued melt up in equities and Boston RE.

But yes, in a declining market I’ll take the back bay condo over a top end SFH in Woburn.

I was on both sides of that one. I got slaughtered with the property I bought in 1988. I bought low in Winchester in the mid-1990s when things were down 30%.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:17 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
I wouldn't want to be buying one of the new 'luxury' condos in Mattapan/Rozzie/Hyde P etc. for sure in this market

In the ~'08 crash, Chelsea, Dot., Rox. and others like it were the last boats in the rising tide, and fell the hardest and for the longest.

I have always been bullish on Back Bay/S End long term, and own in both, but current pricing certainly is eyewatering. When we bought in ~'09 in B Bay you could still buy a penthouse duplex on Marlborough (albeit needing work) for ~$500/sqft, and it is probably $1,200+/sqft now.

Last edited by sawyer2; 01-26-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-26-2021, 02:36 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I really don't see boston coming back from this any time soon. If vaccines were worldwide and access was more universal I'd say something different.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:42 PM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
anytime soon meaning this summer or a year from now?

Old 01-27-2021, 07:15 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
It's expensive because if it was cheap like TX or KY everyone would chose the place that's world class.

Boston is the place right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts