Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 06:35 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfan84 View Post
Yeah, Newton is kind of backwards in that the northern end is considerably more dense but it's the southern part (or at least the middle) that has the Green Line. I agree that in the middle part you usually are not walkable to more than one village center, but the sheer frequency of the Green Line gives you a lot of flexibility (on the E-W axis at least, if not the N-S axis). Very easy to hop on and off and just go a stop or two.
The A Line of the Green Line used to run through Newton Corner from Brighton onto Watertown along Tremont and Galen Streets. You could tell that part of Newton was what amounted to a genuine streetcar suburb just like much of Brookline. Actually I would recommend looking at that part of Newton too if Brookline does not suffice. Depending where you live, North Newton has commuter rail and/or express busses to take you into town. While admittedly not as convenient as the Green Line, they are still better than no options. Newton has similar demographics to Brookline, maybe only slightly more whiter and its public schools and libraries are also excellent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 07:51 PM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
Quote:
Yeah, Newton is kind of backwards in that the northern end is considerably more dense but it's the southern part (or at least the middle) that has the Green Line. I agree that in the middle part you usually are not walkable to more than one village center, but the sheer frequency of the Green Line gives you a lot of flexibility (on the E-W axis at least, if not the N-S axis). Very easy to hop on and off and just go a stop or two.
I found the density around the green line backwards too. I just thought it was due to rich white privilege. Technically the commuter rail on the north can have 15 min intervals if they switched to smaller trains... but the mbta is mismanaged

Old 02-23-2021, 08:01 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The A Line of the Green Line used to run through Newton Corner from Brighton onto Watertown along Tremont and Galen Streets. You could tell that part of Newton was what amounted to a genuine streetcar suburb just like much of Brookline. Actually I would recommend looking at that part of Newton too if Brookline does not suffice. Depending where you live, North Newton has commuter rail and/or express busses to take you into town. While admittedly not as convenient as the Green Line, they are still better than no options. Newton has similar demographics to Brookline, maybe only slightly more whiter and its public schools and libraries are also excellent.
Do you know when they got rid of the A line? It must have been a LONG time ago because I'm pretty sure it was before my time.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:07 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Do you know when they got rid of the A line? It must have been a LONG time ago because I'm pretty sure it was before my time.
'69 for the service.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Wikipedia says it was shut down in 1969. The 57 bus largely runs the same route that A did.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:29 AM

66 posts, read 47,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I found the density around the green line backwards too. I just thought it was due to rich white privilege. Technically the commuter rail on the north can have 15 min intervals if they switched to smaller trains... but the mbta is mismanaged
I don't think that's why. The Framingham-Worcester line has always been the main rail line. What is now the MBTA Green Line used to be heavy rail as well, known as the Highland Branch, which broke off from the Boston & Albany main line and then turned around at Riverside. In the late 1950s they shuttered the Highland Branch, then the MBTA bought it and converted it to light rail, which it remains today. Likely more of a historical quirk than any concerted effort.

And yes, more frequent commuter rail service is something a lot of people want. Was perhaps even gaining a little momentum before COVID hit. Now, who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_branch

Old 02-23-2021, 08:40 AM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
Quote:
What is now the MBTA Green Line used to be heavy rail as well, known as the Highland Branch
Interesting! So the current commuter rail could technically be converted to a T stop too and its just a matter of incompetent management and outrageous budgets.

I suspect we'll see full self driving cars(and taxis) before they ever fix the commuter rail

Old 02-23-2021, 06:40 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
June 21, 1969 was the last day of revenue service. The wires and tracks except for what is in the still extant trolley yard were taken out by the mid-90's. Somewhere deep in this forum, I posted a picture of an old 1967 MBTA wall map that featured it. The A Line branched off the B Line at Packards Corner and ran through Brighton Center, Oak Square, and Newton Corner to get to Watertown.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:02 AM

875 posts, read 664,957 times
All you need to know about the A line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_A_branch

Too bad they took it out. The 57 bus runs that route today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts