Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
No. Most people are ok with whatever as long as their personal lifestyle doesn't get worse or improve.
And it could have improved much more than it did. That's the crux of the disappointment.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:33 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I think the vast majority of people understood that Baker never had and never will have a grand vision for MA. Baker will keep the book in proper shape and try to not get too much in the way of business.

MA was 5th in term of GDP per capita in 2015, when Baker came to power and is now pretty much 1st tied with NY. And I think this is much of what many people wanted from him.
While I'm unwilling credit Baker for MA's GDP shift, I do think many voted for and will continue to vote for him on the basis that he is a competent governor and 'check' of a heavily Dem legislature. Stating the obvious here.

They don't necessarily want someone legislating from the executive seat, nor do they want someone willing to rubber-stamp every idea the Dem legislature might have.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 02-23-2021 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-23-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
While I'm unwilling credit Baker for MA's GDP shift, I do think many voted for and will continue to vote for him on the basis that he is a competent governor and 'check' of a heavily Dem legislature.

They don't necessarily want someone legislating from the executive seat, nor do they want someone willing to rubber-stamp every idea the Dem legislature might have.
Yea... I think his favorability is reliant upon the ****show that is American partisan politics today. I really would like a Dem for governor who can push through transformative legislation because I really care about Massachusets even if in MD. With our economy and Joe Biden and a Democratic Senate now is the time to make real gains, not just ride our coattails to..nothing? Complacency is never a good thing.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:46 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Nice programs but definitely in step with pre-existing or past local and state efforts to Gateway cities over the past 2 decades. Jus under his administration. Capitalizing off short memory sans.
I mean of course he took over programs rather than bombing the work of his predecessors and starting from scratch. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve credit for the work he did to advance them.

Quote:
Education funding boost wasn't spearheaded by him, he just signed off on it. I could be wrong here. No brainer legislation in a state like MA.
Who spearheaded it?

Old 02-23-2021, 01:49 PM

23,598 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Like... the GDP per capita going from 5th to 1st means what exactly?
#50 in traffic and infrastructure. #46 in housing affordability. #37 in wealth inequality. #1 in public debt per capita. #9 in worst unfunded pension liability. But we went from #5 to #1 in GDP per capita!!!

Old 02-23-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
#50 in traffic and infrastructure. #46 in housing affordability. #37 in wealth inequality. #1 in public debt per capita. #9 in worst unfunded pension liability. But we went from #5 to #1 in GDP per capita!!!
Where are you pulling these numbers from?

Old 02-23-2021, 01:59 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
and 'check' of a heavily Dem legislature.
Not really. State Legislature pretty much does what they want. Don't think that would change with any other Governor. Even any of Baker's virus related decisions, if the State Legislature felt strongly enough about it they could just override him.

It's a ****ty job for Dem Pols with any ambition.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I mean of course he took over programs rather than bombing the work of his predecessors and starting from scratch. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve credit for the work he did to advance them.

Who spearheaded it?
Dude just say you have low standards for Governor and call it a day, seriously.

Jason Lewis and Alice Peisch as well as a variety of private committee spearheaded this bill. Baker literally just signed it and then tried to underfund it immediately.

EDIT: the Joint Committee in Education wrote and filed the bill.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Where are you pulling these numbers from?
You like Charlie Baker for whatever reason, I don’t know... but we’ve seen numbers reflect this a thousand different places studies and surveys.

Again-this man hasn’t done a damn thing. No one who likes him even argues that he has. Meanwhile we’ve seen how many scandals unfold under him?

But yea, GDP or something

Old 02-23-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Dude just say you have low standards and call it a day, seriously.

Jason Lewis and Alice Peisch as well as a variety of private committee spearheaded this bill. Baker literally just signed it and then tried to underfund it immediately.
I went to Lewis' page and couldn't find anything about increasing funding schools in low income areas: https://malegislature.gov/Legislators/Profile/jml0

Anyway, let me flip the conversation for a bit: what current governors in the US do you think are so much better than Baker and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts