Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 12:19 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

I went from Condo to SFH when we had kids, and it was the best decision I ever made. Condo was great as a single, not so much with family. I've come to appreciate the space, and seclusion and not having to mind much if the kids were jumping up and down at 6AM and waking the people on the floor below them.

I also think you should budget in the kids expenses now and see if that $3800 give or take monthly payment is sustainable for 30 years when you start factoring in child expenses, especially if child care will be a factor. I can only relate from my personal perspective, but we have 3 kids, HHI of $210+K and in an financially secure place and I wouldn't be comfortable with nearly $4K in mortgage, tax, insurance before utility costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
You'd better hurry up. The days of the sub-3% 30 year fixed mortgage appear to be behind us unless you fling a lot of points at the bank. Rates are still at historic lows but I think it's unlikely we'll see those laughably low rates again. Ten year treasuries have averaged around 2% for the last decade. They're back up to over 1.5% now.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:33 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnduh View Post
It has it’s pros and cons as you would know. Walking to work is great, but hearing the neighbors sucks, especially a toddler above us.
That's more a sign you live in a crappy condo than anything else. Which is unfortunately very common.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:53 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
If OP liked the condo living, they should stay there, but they shouldn't if they don't like it and can afford what they do want. It's amazing how fast you get used to a new mortgage payment, even if you move up the ladder in expense. Kid or no kid, they are finished with the condo living and I doubt house prices closer in, like Medford, are going down in our time to see.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:07 PM

38 posts, read 23,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I went from Condo to SFH when we had kids, and it was the best decision I ever made. Condo was great as a single, not so much with family. I've come to appreciate the space, and seclusion and not having to mind much if the kids were jumping up and down at 6AM and waking the people on the floor below them.

I also think you should budget in the kids expenses now and see if that $3800 give or take monthly payment is sustainable for 30 years when you start factoring in child expenses, especially if child care will be a factor. I can only relate from my personal perspective, but we have 3 kids, HHI of $210+K and in an financially secure place and I wouldn't be comfortable with nearly $4K in mortgage, tax, insurance before utility costs.
Thanks for the tips. Greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
That's more a sign you live in a crappy condo than anything else. Which is unfortunately very common.
Indeed. The quality of build was another concern of ours to make our decision to look elsewhere. Thin walls and insulation is subpar. The second bedroom feels like you are walking into a meat locker.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If OP liked the condo living, they should stay there, but they shouldn't if they don't like it and can afford what they do want. It's amazing how fast you get used to a new mortgage payment, even if you move up the ladder in expense. Kid or no kid, they are finished with the condo living and I doubt house prices closer in, like Medford, are going down in our time to see.
We enjoy the convenience, but that can only last for so long.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Indeed. The quality of build was another concern of ours to make our decision to look elsewhere. Thin walls and insulation is subpar. The second bedroom feels like you are walking into a meat locker.

You can always remove the sheet rock and re-insulate exterior walls; and do sound mitigation on shared interior walls and ceiling. Sure beats $3,800/month for a house in Medford.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Our combined gross is 180k.

I dropped some numbers into a spreadsheet. Assuming you both max out your 401(k) and you'd be insane to not be doing that, I estimated your net pay.

$180k gross
$13,770 in payroll taxes
$39,000 in maxed 401(k)
$6,410 in state income tax
$17,000 in federal income tax

Your net after taxes and 401(k) is $103k and you probably have employee-paid medical/dental taken out.

Buying a house, 12 months of interest on a $550k 3.5% 30 year fixed loan is $19,081. Your State & Local tax is capped at 10k. Your Schedule A is only $5k more than the standard deduction. You're in the 22% bracket so the tax break is less than $1,000. Your take home pay doesn't change much at all.

Anyone here can tell you that owning a house has a bunch more expenses than mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities. Well more than half your net is going to the house. You're going to be much more car-dependent so you're looking at car payments and car depreciation & operating costs. You have to furnish a 3,000 square foot house.

Another way of looking at this is that people buying in Medford are W-2 buyers. They have to qualify for the mortgage. If interest rates go up, they qualify for a smaller loan. There are towns that are probably impervious to an interest rate hike but I don't think Medford falls in that category.

You don't need a house now. Maybe you could trade up a bit with your condo and have a small mortgage you could zero out quickly if you wanted.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
How long have you owned in Boston? I assuming you have made a lot of money on that property. With no mortgage, that is always a nice check to cash. You can afford the mortgage, but it's big for $180k income. It's all about what you are comfortable with. Can you buy down the mortgage principal a bit further?

I think cashing in Boston to invest in somewhere like Medford is a good thing in general. With inflation rising, real estate is looking like a better place to park your cash by the day, and don't let anyone tell you your primary residence isn't an investment. In this area, it absolutely is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts