Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 10:34 AM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Depends on the electrician, and depends on the engineer. The salary ranges can be all over the place and vary by region. I was an electrician and am now an engineer. Without writing a few paragraphs i'll just say that is possible for an engineer to make significantly more than an electrician, and it is possible for an electrician to make more than an engineer. It really does vary.

Yeah...that's about what my compensation package is. There are multipliers with regards to the bonus, so it can get that high. Then there are RSU's in addition. I will say that it does vary by company and level. The engineers under me do not get RSU's and get a slightly smaller bonus. Still 5 figures though.
The tech company i was at was also a non profit so that might have had something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 10:35 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Damn you guys get bonuses?
Right I was just happy to get a measly 10% bonus. At my current job I do not get a bonus.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:01 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times
Benefits can vary quite a bit. I found a non profit recently that states they have the following:

They pay 95% of employee health coverage, 75% for spouse 85% for family plan
100% coverage paid for dental and vision
free life insurance
401 (k) retirement plan with an employer contribution of 6.5% of your salary with an additional 2% if matched by you.
13 holidays 12 paid Health and Wellness days per year and receive 152 hours of leave in their first year.

That's literally a month off paid to start. Not huge pay and is virtual but does require knowing Spanish.
Up until I saw this I've never seen a non profit with such a benefit package.

as for a bonus when I was in the private sector a tad but it was mostly unreachable. On higher levels there were some huge ones in retail. They had this net before tax level. If you had under 100% it would be nothing. Anything up to 5% above is 5%. Beyond 5% is 100% of base pay. Store managers varied from 70-200k. So technically yes under theory someone could get 200K of a bonus but I doubt that's happening now. That cliff effect from 5% to 100% encourages malfeasance.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:11 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,345,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
What boggles my mind are people who move into a new subdivision, then complain when the woods behind their house suddenly become another new subdivision as if they were supposed to be the last ones to be allowed into the town.
The second they get the house they immediately start acting in a way that they see as protecting their investment. It's just another form on NIMBY-ism

Old 03-17-2021, 12:18 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,059,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Reason I mentioned the eviction ban is because I think you will see a fair amount of properties become available when/if LL's are able to get non-payers evicted.
If I’m thinking about buying, then I care more about foreclosures than evictions, no? I suppose those might also start up when the moratorium ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Damn you guys get bonuses?
I’ll make a meme of this later if I can find the time.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,437,798 times
Starting to get a lot of humble brag in this thread.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Starting to get a lot of humble brag in this thread.
from who?

Old 03-17-2021, 01:23 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If I’m thinking about buying, then I care more about foreclosures than evictions, no? I suppose those might also start up when the moratorium ends.

I’ll make a meme of this later if I can find the time.
Uh. Foreclosure is the legal proceedings. Evictions mean the actual forcing of someone out. If you rent there isn't really a foreclosure but there certainly can be evictions. When the bubble happened in 2008 there ere many that foreclosure on but were still in their homes and not evicted. Now there can be a process and tenant rights and that varies quite a bit on local and state laws.

To be honest with you I don't think it's going to be one big day where thousands get kicked out. There's a process. Then you have say housing authorities which have a centralized state list so if they try going that route that isn't going to keep them in the same area. it's going to take awhile.

Personally I think there's a bit of a long term potential and covid might be the dress rehearsal. Self driving cars will have a huge impact. If you then just a car on demand that means there's a ton of empty space in suburbs. Garages can convert to ADU's and we could see a ton of additional rooms on the market. Imagine if every house in the country that had a garage converted one garage to one room. Of course that also means no DUI lawyers, parking authorities, parking spaces needed, not as much for gas stations, auto part stores, delivery drivers, ubur drivers etc. It's a huge shift. You want to increase housing? there you go. Want to give revenue streams for retirees? There you go. Of course it can also mean more home gyms, offices, dining rooms, kitchens, bathrooms etc.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:34 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Self driving cars will have a huge impact. If you then just a car on demand that means there's a ton of empty space in suburbs. Garages can convert to ADU's and we could see a ton of additional rooms on the market. Imagine if every house in the country that had a garage converted one garage to one room. Of course that also means no DUI lawyers, parking authorities, parking spaces needed, not as much for gas stations, auto part stores, delivery drivers, ubur drivers etc. It's a huge shift. You want to increase housing? there you go. Want to give revenue streams for retirees? There you go. Of course it can also mean more home gyms, offices, dining rooms, kitchens, bathrooms etc.
Garages are not only used for cars. Homeowners have snowblowers, lawn mowers, motorcycles, bicycles, canoes or kayaks, snowmobiles, tractors, trailers, ATVs as well as power tools and workshops. Garages are also the easiest way to move things from the outdoors to inside the house and vice versa. I would not convert mine to a normal room even if cars became 100% on demand.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
from who?

Me. But I don’t disagree with him. If I could go back and edit my post I would phrase it a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts