Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 07:33 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,836,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That’s a large assumption. It doesn’t matter until it does. The servicing fees can outrageous.
I don't get it. They can tack on new fees after the fact???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 07:36 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,135,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Can't give you specifics since I'm not using them. Just that I've heard they can be a pain to work with.
Interesting, I used LenderFi and had a great experience, almost no-cost (I paid about $100 after credits). There was almost no hand holding so you need to be a little experienced, but got a 30-year fixed for 2.625%. Servicing hasn’t been an issue. There’s no personal relationship with anybody, but willing to deal with that for the savings.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:42 AM

16,619 posts, read 8,340,018 times
If the economy slows down and there are less high paying jobs to draw people in from all over the housing market will slow down.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If the economy slows down and there are less high paying jobs to draw people in from all over the housing market will slow down.
Or some companies will continue to move jobs to areas where their employees can actually afford to live (or in turn not have to pay them as much).

Old 03-28-2021, 08:00 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,840,419 times
Jobs aren't always by location anymore though. I've seen six figure remote jobs posted.

Are students really coming back or not?

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2021...clining-rents/

If they can just take the classes online and save them and the institutions money way not?

Old 03-28-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
If they can just take the classes online and save them and the institutions money way not?
Because while online learning has its place among some applications, it does not equal in person. There is a good reason why some well regarded institutions want no part in it. The students will be back.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:06 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,152,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't get it. They can tack on new fees after the fact???
Illegal in MA now, but ‘convenience fees’ are or were common. Could add $200 a year with zero value.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-28-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-28-2021, 08:22 AM

349 posts, read 322,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Jobs aren't always by location anymore though. I've seen six figure remote jobs posted.

Are students really coming back or not?

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2021...clining-rents/

If you believe this is the future, then Boston and other USA city prices will fall. You can work and learn right out of Thailand, Panama, Barbados, or Jordan. No need to pay higher real estate prices of the United States and other developed countries.

My bet is that interacting with people will remain a major draw. That students will want to interact with peers. That the same forces that have drawn Americans from rural farmland to cities for the past 150 years will continue. I have no idea how things will play out, but these are my assumptions when I say I am favorable about Boston.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:25 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,152,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
If you believe this is the future, then Boston and other USA city prices will fall. You can work and learn right out of Thailand, Panama, Barbados, or Jordan. No need to pay higher real estate prices of the United States and other developed countries.

My bet is that interacting with people will remain a major draw. That students will want to interact with peers. That the same forces that have drawn Americans from rural farmland to cities for the past 150 years will continue. I have no idea how things will play out, but these are my assumptions when I say I am favorable about Boston.
The online thesis also ignores all the university research, studios, med, etc. which more or less requires things be ‘on site’.

Even if one ignores the need for productive collaboration, it’s still difficult to imagine every ME or ID student having a 4/6 axis CNC in their parents basement.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:49 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,840,419 times
Right but how many institutions have other campuses overseas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...rsities_abroad

I know department heads of international programs and this has gone on for decades

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marvink...ome-them-back/

"A new report shows that the number of international students studying in the United States fell 18 percent last year, according to student visa records. Even worse, with US consulates worldwide shuttered by the pandemic, the number of visas issued for newly enrolled international students dropped a whopping 72 percent."

So yeah they are coming back but it's way less. Will this change? Well are they taking gap years, going to another institution, going to a US institution domestically or taking classes online?

Work already is done overseas. Have you used tech support in the past ten years or dealt with a chat not? Lookup Fiverr and Upwork. Heck DaVinci machines lost their patent. If you think remote surgery can't be done the other way you are mistaken. We already have medical tourism.

Last edited by mdovell; 03-28-2021 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Adding more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts