Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:54 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,042,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Right now it's 40 minutes but when people start going back to the office it's not going to be anywhere near 40 minutes. Also, when traffic comes back and there's a snowstorm that's a commute that's going to be REALLY long. I wouldn't live all the way up there if I had a budget like the OP's and had to commute to Boston at times. Manchester by the Sea, Newburyport, Ipswich, Marblehead, etc. these are all lovely towns but really awful locations if you have to commute to Boston.
I totally agree. I think a lot of people are going to regret some geographic decisions in 6-9 months.

I was trying to sort of triangulate Haverhill/N Shore (where OP's family is) with Boston AND Lexington (where spouse will need to attend 2x/week.

ANdover isn't too bad. How's Bedford these days?

Walkability is always the hard thing to pin down with these towns. There are so many definitions of what that means to different people it's sometimes hard to discuss usefully. I tend to think some people vastly over-emphasize it out of some sense of obligation that is out of proportion to how much they would actually take advantage of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 10:27 AM

349 posts, read 323,770 times
Arlington, MA came first to mind. Lexington and concord are good but far quieter.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 7 days ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,128,061 times
Quote:
Right now it's 40 minutes but when people start going back to the office it's not going to be anywhere near 40 minutes. Also, when traffic comes back and there's a snowstorm that's a commute that's going to be REALLY long. I wouldn't live all the way up there if I had a budget like the OP's and had to commute to Boston at times. Manchester by the Sea, Newburyport, Ipswich, Marblehead, etc. these are all lovely towns but really awful locations if you have to commute to Boston.
But even 1 hour 15 wouldn’t be terrible if only commuting 2 times a week. And for Boston if not Lexington the commuter rail is an option from those towns.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:07 AM

15,859 posts, read 20,713,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
How's Bedford these days?
Best commute it's been in years. Can get down to Boston in 30 min or less, and over to the north shore area (I-95 danvers/Peabody area)in same amount of time during rush hour. Hope it holds, but I see a lot of empty expensive office buildings that I'm sure a lot of employers would love to get filled up again at some point.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:55 PM

14,299 posts, read 14,887,173 times
As a former MAer and Andoverite, I highly recommend Andover. It has all you want including a nice little downtown with shops and restaurants. I was born and brought up in Greater Boston but left at age 18. I then lived around the country mainly in upper market suburbs as I became more successful in business. I moved back to MA at age 40 to Andover from a Chicago suburb (Naperville). I loved Andover and highly recommend it. I retired to SC 20 years ago.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:22 PM

8,548 posts, read 14,113,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof201842 View Post
I recommend checking out Arlington MA. It is right next to Lexington MA and also right next to Cambridge which is next to Boston. You can definitely get a new build for under 1.8m but you may have to wait for one of come on the market b/c inventory is low. How about renting for a year and seeing if it is a good fit for your family? I live in Winchester and I can tell you that although it is only 8 miles outside of Boston, it is a very quiet community and some of those other places you mentioned are even sleepier. If you like Arlington, VA you are going to want something with a bit more going on, like Arlington MA.
Definitely Arlington, MA is going to give the OP the density and amenities they seem to like about their current location. The only question is . . . will they be happy with the schools? Hard to say. It's such a personal question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
If you want Northshore I would look there, great area! I love to take day trips there-beaches, farms, etc. Lots to do. I would easily look at those towns for 1.8$!
Newburyport down to Salem-look at the map and the towns all on the coast!
So you feel it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I totally agree. I think a lot of people are going to regret some geographic decisions in 6-9 months.

I was trying to sort of triangulate Haverhill/N Shore (where OP's family is) with Boston AND Lexington (where spouse will need to attend 2x/week.

ANdover isn't too bad. How's Bedford these days?

Walkability is always the hard thing to pin down with these towns. There are so many definitions of what that means to different people it's sometimes hard to discuss usefully. I tend to think some people vastly over-emphasize it out of some sense of obligation that is out of proportion to how much they would actually take advantage of it.
I like Bedford and think it's a town with a lot to offer.

If it were me house shopping, I would be flexible on the "new construction" requirement to get the environment I'm looking for and either go with Newton, Belmont, Winchester, or maybe Needham. if OP is willing to be flexible on single family home vs. townhouse then they can probably get new construction almost anywhere but some of the more expensive towns they're not going to get a new single family at that price point.

I totally understand their wanting to be close to the North Shore but I would give more weight to the commute and the environment in the town in my decision. Driving to the North Shore on a weekend is easy. Having to drive into Boston during rush hour is much more dicey. Plus, they're going to be spending a lot more time in their new hometown and probably commuting more often than they'll be visiting family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
But even 1 hour 15 wouldn’t be terrible if only commuting 2 times a week. And for Boston if not Lexington the commuter rail is an option from those towns.
A terrible commute is such a subjective thing. I find most people if given the option would rather have a shorter commute than 1:15. Unless OP's family is providing free childcare, there's really no need to be that close to them and to spend an extra hour commuting. Except for being on the water, it's quite easy to replicate anything you could get in a North Shore town closer to Boston.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:11 PM

14,299 posts, read 14,887,173 times
I had and still suggest Andover but Winchester deserves a look. On the north side of Boston and an easy commute to Lexington and Boston. Straight shot up I93 to family in the Haverhill area. Needham and Newton are fine towns but the OP said North Shore preferred.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:23 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,453,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I had and still suggest Andover but Winchester deserves a look. On the north side of Boston and an easy commute to Lexington and Boston. Straight shot up I93 to family in the Haverhill area. Needham and Newton are fine towns but the OP said North Shore preferred.

I've lived in both Andover and Winchester. When the traffic comes back, Boston and Lexington from Andover are a bit painful now compared to when you were in Andover and North Reading. The long promised I-93/128 interchange rebuild hasn't happened. I looked longingly at Manchester by the Sea when I bought in Winchester but decided that my life was too short to have a commute that involved 128. As a town, I prefer Main Street Andover over Winchester but Winchester has the far better location for Boston access and Lexington is just one town over on secondary roads.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:24 PM

132 posts, read 183,627 times
Quote:
A terrible commute is such a subjective thing. I find most people if given the option would rather have a shorter commute than 1:15. Unless OP's family is providing free childcare, there's really no need to be that close to them and to spend an extra hour commuting. Except for being on the water, it's quite easy to replicate anything you could get in a North Shore town closer to Boston.
Except for the water You and your children can be at the beach every single day of the summer. Your partner can come home and join you for pizza at the beach. It's a lifestyle that can't be replicated in MetroWest.

Pre-pandemic my partner drove from Manchester to Burlington most days. It's 45 minutes. Lexington should be about the same. A couple of times a month he went into Boston. He'd either take the commuter rail, drive to Wonderland for the the Blue line, or drive in. Plan 1:15 door to door. Many people on the North shore work in Boston and take the commuter rail. When it snows, work from home or go early.

Manchester-Essex is a top-rated school district. Most houses are within walking distance of the school. A new elementary school is being built now and will be completed by fall. Your children will be able to ride their bikes and walk in town with their friends. Library, Post-office, beach, park with play structure, small grocery store, schools, beach, a few restaurants and shops are all walkable from town. It's ideal for children. My child is in middle school and loves it here. My biggest complaint is it's a little dull. If you are looking at Georgetown you should at least consider Manchester.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:41 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,333,058 times
You know me - I'm the Burlington cheerleader.

It's nothing like Arlington but lots of great dining, shopping, amenities in town. Commute to Lexington is easy as it's next door. Schools are good and getting better as million dollar buyers come into town. You can get into a brand new starter castle for $1.2 or so but they get snapped up quickly. There are a couple of agents in town that are the go to for new builds. Or pickup an older ranch or cape for $600K and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts