Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:21 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,093,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingforest View Post
Except for the water You and your children can be at the beach every single day of the summer. Your partner can come home and join you for pizza at the beach. It's a lifestyle that can't be replicated in MetroWest.
I spend too much time pulling harpoons out of my keyster when I go to the beach. So, I stay by the pool.

On a more serious note, I don't get the big deal about living by the ocean in New England. The water here is frigid and there's only a few months of the year where it's warm enough to go to the beach. Winter around here can feel long enough without having to look out at a snow covered beach wondering if summer is ever going to come around. I used to live in Miami where i could go to the beach all year long if I wanted and I almost never went and Florida beaches are much more inviting than New England beaches. So, I've lived near the water and I still don't get why people are so jazzed about living near it. So, yes, to me it's "just the water."

Just my personal opinion. You'll probably never get my side of it (you - why don't you like living near the beach? ) and I'll likely never understand your side of it (me - what's the big deal about living near the beach? ). When I want to go to the beach, I'll hop in my car and drive a few minutes for the 3 times a summer that I go. I'd rather go to the pool or play golf. There's also the risk of flooding and the requirement of flood insurance if you live too close to the water which I'm happy to do without.

Quote:
Pre-pandemic my partner drove from Manchester to Burlington most days. It's 45 minutes. Lexington should be about the same. A couple of times a month he went into Boston. He'd either take the commuter rail, drive to Wonderland for the the Blue line, or drive in. Plan 1:15 door to door. Many people on the North shore work in Boston and take the commuter rail. When it snows, work from home or go early.
To me, not having to allow the weather to run my schedule or to have to spend the amount of time you describe commuting is far more valuable than living near the ocean. I'm fortunate enough not to have a commute, but when I was a commuter if you asked me to spend 2 1/2 hours of my day commuting I would have said "no thanks!" I'd much rather spend that time doing something I enjoy. I also enjoy being in close proximity to Boston and Cambridge. Pre-pandemic my wife and I would meet friends for dinner in town or catch a show on a regular basis.

Quote:
Manchester-Essex is a top-rated school district. Most houses are within walking distance of the school. A new elementary school is being built now and will be completed by fall. Your children will be able to ride their bikes and walk in town with their friends. Library, Post-office, beach, park with play structure, small grocery store, schools, beach, a few restaurants and shops are all walkable from town. It's ideal for children. My child is in middle school and loves it here. My biggest complaint is it's a little dull. If you are looking at Georgetown you should at least consider Manchester.
You can find all of these things in Metrowest and being close to Boston and Cambridge makes things a lot less dull. Pre-pandemic we used to go to Providence sometimes too.

At the end of the day, it's all about priorities. For me, living near the beach has little value. I'd rather have shorter commute times and to have access to places that don't make me feel like I live somewhere dull. I've been to the North Shore and there are many beautiful towns up there but for me it's a nice place to visit but I have no desire to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 04:13 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,413,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I spend too much time pulling harpoons out of my keyster when I go to the beach. So, I stay by the pool.

On a more serious note, I don't get the big deal about living by the ocean in New England. The water here is frigid and there's only a few months of the year where it's warm enough to go to the beach. Winter around here can feel long enough without having to look out at a snow covered beach wondering if summer is ever going to come around. I used to live in Miami where i could go to the beach all year long if I wanted and I almost never went and Florida beaches are much more inviting than New England beaches. So, I've lived near the water and I still don't get why people are so jazzed about living near it. So, yes, to me it's "just the water."

Just my personal opinion. You'll probably never get my side of it (you - why don't you like living near the beach? ) and I'll likely never understand your side of it (me - what's the big deal about living near the beach? ). When I want to go to the beach, I'll hop in my car and drive a few minutes for the 3 times a summer that I go. I'd rather go to the pool or play golf. There's also the risk of flooding and the requirement of flood insurance if you live too close to the water which I'm happy to do without.

To me, not having to allow the weather to run my schedule or to have to spend the amount of time you describe commuting is far more valuable than living near the ocean. I'm fortunate enough not to have a commute, but when I was a commuter if you asked me to spend 2 1/2 hours of my day commuting I would have said "no thanks!" I'd much rather spend that time doing something I enjoy. I also enjoy being in close proximity to Boston and Cambridge. Pre-pandemic my wife and I would meet friends for dinner in town or catch a show on a regular basis.

You can find all of these things in Metrowest and being close to Boston and Cambridge makes things a lot less dull. Pre-pandemic we used to go to Providence sometimes too.

At the end of the day, it's all about priorities. For me, living near the beach has little value. I'd rather have shorter commute times and to have access to places that don't make me feel like I live somewhere dull. I've been to the North Shore and there are many beautiful towns up there but for me it's a nice place to visit but I have no desire to live there.
In my zip code, the water temperature gets to 68F around June 15th and is in the 70s into October. The boat is in the water for 6 months. I have November 8th photos out on one of those last Indian Summer days. My adult life, ski season started around November 1 and ran into early May. Stick season in November and early December skiing white ribbon of death isn’t great but the spring transition is usually immediate from spring skiing & tailgate parties to out on the boat.

When I lived in Portsmouth NH, it was a much shorter summer season and the water was freakin’ freezing. The boating isn’t very good. You can only go to Isle of Shoals so many times. Portsmouth is a great place to live but the water is for looking, not swimming.

A jillion years ago, I used to work in Marlborough and Westborough. I can’t imagine living west of Boston. It doesn’t align with my interests at all.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:15 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,093,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my zip code, the water temperature gets to 68F around June 15th and is in the 70s into October. The boat is in the water for 6 months. I have November 8th photos out on one of those last Indian Summer days. My adult life, ski season started around November 1 and ran into early May. Stick season in November and early December skiing white ribbon of death isn’t great but the spring transition is usually immediate from spring skiing & tailgate parties to out on the boat.

When I lived in Portsmouth NH, it was a much shorter summer season and the water was freakin’ freezing. The boating isn’t very good. You can only go to Isle of Shoals so many times. Portsmouth is a great place to live but the water is for looking, not swimming.

A jillion years ago, I used to work in Marlborough and Westborough. I can’t imagine living west of Boston. It doesn’t align with my interests at all.
I like when the pool is 80*F. . I've only recently taken up skiing last year and I didn't even go this year because of the pandemic. Skiing is mostly a weekend activity anyway and living in Metrowest is not going to add significant travel time on a weekend whereas living on the North Shore would add significant travel time during rush hour.

I've had a number of family members with boats and they always tell me "a boat is a hole in the water you throw money in." I've already got enough things I need to spend money on. So, I'd rather know a guy with a boat than be the owner of one.

We clearly have different interests and lifestyles which is TOTALLY fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:30 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,668,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've had a number of family members with boats and they always tell me "a boat is a hole in the water you throw money in." I've already got enough things I need to spend money on. So, I'd rather know a guy with a boat than be the owner of one.

I prefer to rent them.

Don't have to deal with the hassle of owning one, and yet can still be in charge and decide what to do or where to go!

Old 04-06-2021, 10:43 AM

14,289 posts, read 14,856,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I prefer to rent them.

Don't have to deal with the hassle of owning one, and yet can still be in charge and decide what to do or where to go!
If if flies or floats, rent it do not buy it. There is more to that saying buy I left it off.........LOL

Old 04-07-2021, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 15,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
If you want Northshore I would look there, great area! I love to take day trips there-beaches, farms, etc. Lots to do. I would easily look at those towns for 1.8$!
Newburyport down to Salem-look at the map and the towns all on the coast!
Thanks All! I love Newburyport - does anyone have any insight into schools? We would prefer to stay public.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 15,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As a former MAer and Andoverite, I highly recommend Andover. It has all you want including a nice little downtown with shops and restaurants. I was born and brought up in Greater Boston but left at age 18. I then lived around the country mainly in upper market suburbs as I became more successful in business. I moved back to MA at age 40 to Andover from a Chicago suburb (Naperville). I loved Andover and highly recommend it. I retired to SC 20 years ago.
Thank you!! Are there any neighborhoods that tend to attract families with school-aged children? My husband is a big golfer so we are looking at Andover CC area but I'm not sure if that will suit our needs. Ideally we are looking for a safe neighborhood where our kids can walk/ride bikes to their friend's houses. Thank you!!

Old 04-08-2021, 06:32 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,751,175 times
Newton is the Boston area town that is most similar to Arlington, VA. You could also look at Arlington, MA. You definitely could afford something decent in Lexington, too, if it gives you what you want.

If I were in OP's situation, I'd first look at Newton, Arlington, Lexington and Winchester. Then I'd go from there, depending on what was most important to me. If I wanted more space, larger, newer houses, and didn't care as much about walkability, then I'd look in the towns to the north, like Andover (given that proximity to the North and North shore towns is a priority.)

Old 04-08-2021, 03:42 PM

14,289 posts, read 14,856,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFam2018 View Post
Thank you!! Are there any neighborhoods that tend to attract families with school-aged children? My husband is a big golfer so we are looking at Andover CC area but I'm not sure if that will suit our needs. Ideally we are looking for a safe neighborhood where our kids can walk/ride bikes to their friend's houses. Thank you!!
I can recommend some golf clubs in the Andover area. Andover CC and Indian Ridge CC are great golf courses and real country clubs in the sense of pool, tennis, dining, etc. Very family oriented places. The Thomson Club in North Reading is a great golf course but no longer has a pool, nor tennis, nor fine dining etc. More for the serious non-country club type golfer and not family oriented.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:40 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,038,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I can recommend some golf clubs in the Andover area. Andover CC and Indian Ridge CC are great golf courses and real country clubs in the sense of pool, tennis, dining, etc. Very family oriented places. The Thomson Club in North Reading is a great golf course but no longer has a pool, nor tennis, nor fine dining etc. More for the serious non-country club type golfer and not family oriented.
Is Trull Brook still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts