Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:07 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

My dominant energy cost is natural gas for heating plus NG use for hot water, clothes dryer, and range. I'm held hostage by the pipeline surcharges.

The problem is the endless lawsuits stopping the HydroQuebec line to Massachusetts. You do that, add offshore wind, and the natural gas pipeline capacity problem goes away. Our electricity starts moving towards renewables which is what we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 08:42 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My dominant energy cost is natural gas for heating plus NG use for hot water, clothes dryer, and range. I'm held hostage by the pipeline surcharges.

The problem is the endless lawsuits stopping the HydroQuebec line to Massachusetts. You do that, add offshore wind, and the natural gas pipeline capacity problem goes away. Our electricity starts moving towards renewables which is what we want.
I wasn't familiar with the New England Clean Energy Connect (NECEC) project, thanks for highlighting that. What I find in web searching early on is kind of discouraging though. MA utility companies have a contract with Hydro-Québec and Central Maine Power to receive the hydroelectric power. Central Maine Power either owns or has state leases on the land that will be used for transmission. Seems pretty straightforward and like everything would be good to go, but various organizations in Maine seem to be opposing the project anyway - whether it's resentment of other states and not wanting them to benefit from the project, anger because they don't feel Maine is getting enough benefits, or environmental objections... it's already been delayed for a few years.

If people oppose nuclear power, coal power, natural gas power and hydroelectric power, it doesn't leave many alternatives, and wind and solar are nowhere near ready to meet 100% of energy needs today. *sigh*

Old 04-25-2021, 05:40 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Only going to get worse with mandated EV adoption.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:47 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Only going to get worse with mandated EV adoption.
Hopefully this gets sorted before any restrictions like that begin to bite. It's very frustrating. I mean, I am a big proponent of increasing wind and solar, but it's just a fact that they won't be ready to take over all power generation for decades yet. It's not only insufficient capacity, there's the challenges from them being intermittent sources of power - which is fine so long as they are part of a larger portfolio with more consistent, controllable power sources, but you can't have solely wind and solar today.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:13 PM

787 posts, read 780,160 times
So according to National Grid's PDF this electricity supply cost increase has been almost as big as in 2014 - 2015:

https://www.nationalgridus.com/media.../resitable.pdf

I am locked in at 9.709 ¢/kWh through my town's community choice program until November 2023.

I'll probably use close to 5,200 kWh between 11/01/21 and 04/30/22. This will vary depending on how cold of a winter we have.

~$771 at 14.821 ¢/kWh
~$505 at 9.709 ¢/kWh

$266 difference over 6 months or a little over $44 saved per month.

I'd also like to mention if anyone has the Mitsubishi MSZ-FH09, MSZ-FH12, MSZ-FH15, or MSZ-FH18 wall mounted Hyper-Heating mini split indoor units, Power Equipment Direct has decent prices on the anti-allergy filters:

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...-E/p68435.html

I just replaced one in my unit that was coming up on three years old. Very fast shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts