Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:35 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I've never been to harbor freight but my brother gave me some tools from them.. so far so good. Dollar stores I guess are volume. the way I see it there's volume or margin. A high end place can have a high margin and be ok with lower volume (think Newbury st).
Volume? I have never see any of these discount stores full. I can't imagine them selling a tonn of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 12:01 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Volume? I have never see any of these discount stores full. I can't imagine them selling a tonn of stuff.
There's a HF local to me, and on the weekends it's packed.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:05 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
I've never been in either an Ocean State Job Lot or a Harbor Freight. I can't tell if they're more like a Ben Franklin or a Dollar General...or a Costco?

Old 05-03-2021, 01:23 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I mean job lot isn't bad for some things. You can probably make a decent gift basket of food. Would I buy top quality tools or av equipment from them? Heck no.But if you need lawn equipment, maybe a rug, bird seed yeah you can get it there. It isn't exactly a hardware store but it isn't a chain dept store like we knew it. I just don't think things are advertised that well and the floor is crap. Long ago I found out an old boss of mine worked there. From what me and my coworkers saw advertised is their department heads made as much as our cashiers. Their cashiers were barely above minimum wage. That's why I tended to wonder who the heck they'd attract to work there if it was 20-30% less than what we paid.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 21,993,461 times
It's been our summer supply center for years, particularly for beach gear. They have a ton of perfectly adequate stuff for reasonable prices. Our beach chairs, umbrellas, blankets, table, cart, etc. are all from Ocean State. And if you have kids, it's THE spot to buy pool floats. Tons of options for $10-15. so you won't feel terrible when they inevitably pop.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:58 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
I mean job lot isn't bad for some things. You can probably make a decent gift basket of food. Would I buy top quality tools or av equipment from them? Heck no.But if you need lawn equipment, maybe a rug, bird seed yeah you can get it there. It isn't exactly a hardware store but it isn't a chain dept store like we knew it. I just don't think things are advertised that well and the floor is crap. Long ago I found out an old boss of mine worked there. From what me and my coworkers saw advertised is their department heads made as much as our cashiers. Their cashiers were barely above minimum wage. That's why I tended to wonder who the heck they'd attract to work there if it was 20-30% less than what we paid.
It's an odd mix of what you can get, but it's our go-to for snacks, cereal, pasta, everyday spices, phone chargers, paper and cleaning products, laundry detergent, LED light bulbs (always on Crazy Deal), stationery and school supplies, art supplies (brushes, canvases, easels, and paint), tarps, bungee cords, batteries (often on Crazy Deal), small appliances... They have a 20V cordless drill on Crazy Deal this week. Also KN95 masks and toilet paper. If you don't mind being beholden to them for hundreds or even thousands of dollars, you can get a gazebo, full set of patio furniture, and a Japanese massage chair with a full Crazy Deal rebate.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:12 AM

962 posts, read 468,946 times
Quote:
But if you need lawn equipment, maybe a rug, bird seed yeah you can get it there. It isn't exactly a hardware store but it isn't a chain dept store like we knew it.
I've bought all of those things there, as well as patio furniture, barbecue accessories, mattress pads, kitchen stuff (roasting pans, storage containers), stationery supplies, a lot of hardware stuff, a ton of clothing (great deals on jackets, t-shirts, sweats, pajamas, socks, etc.).

We lived in Arlington, about halfway between the Bedford and Medford locations, but mostly went to the one in Nashua during our monthly tax-free big shopping day. We've been in Phoenix for 18 months now, still setting up our house, and every few days one of us says "We need a ___." and the other of us says "Well Ocean State has those cheap, ha ha."

Is it wrong that I haven't unsubscribed from their emails? I miss some people, I miss a couple restaurants, but I really, really miss Ocean State Job Lots.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:51 PM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's been our summer supply center for years, particularly for beach gear. They have a ton of perfectly adequate stuff for reasonable prices. Our beach chairs, umbrellas, blankets, table, cart, etc. are all from Ocean State. And if you have kids, it's THE spot to buy pool floats. Tons of options for $10-15. so you won't feel terrible when they inevitably pop.
Not to mention school supplies, cleaning products/equipment, health and beauty products, and clothing closeouts from mainstream retailers. I've never bought much food there but I enjoy wandering through the aisles. A friend got a great deal on a faux Oriental runner for her front hallway last year. I've bought cheap sheets for the car so the dogs don't damage the upholstery.

Job Lot reminds me a lot of Building 19 except it's cleaner and more organized.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:34 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
I've purchased some neat resistance bands over there for a nominal cost. I get my ice melt there in the winter for very cheap money. I get my weedkiller & grass seed on the cheap also. It's a useful store.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Pool supplies, pool chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts