Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:00 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

And I meant to say "great ponds". Not great lakes. My longing for Wisconsin affected me pre coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 06:28 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I think what you are referring to are public lakes with private associations. Very common all over the country, as a matter of fact.
But I'm not even sure if they're "public" lakes if they're really private. I find that really strange.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:02 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
But I'm not even sure if they're "public" lakes if they're really private. I find that really strange.
Can you provide an example? I’ve honestly never encountered this. Just private associations related to the abutting land, as already mentioned.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:24 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
I remember my coworker who lives in Lunenburg mentioning this type of situation. He said he pays a few bucks a year for access. Closest place on the map would be Hickory Hills Lake. A lake association/social group type thing sounded a little too Mayberry for me, but if that is what you enjoy so be it.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:15 AM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Can you provide an example? I’ve honestly never encountered this. Just private associations related to the abutting land, as already mentioned.
This is the Far Hills Association which is responsible for Sunset Lake in Ashburnham, MA.

https://farhillsassociation.com/

Old 05-11-2021, 05:10 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I wouldn't always assume that a body of water is a lake or Pond either. I know of a person that does have a fish farm of approximately 1/3 of an acre. And there's many old former Cranberry Bogs across the South Shore.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
This is the Far Hills Association which is responsible for Sunset Lake in Ashburnham, MA.

https://farhillsassociation.com/
Their history clearly explains it. It's a non natural basin, so definitely not a great pond. It was man made, the land around it was developed by a developer and sold off. It's just a private development around a body of water that isn't a great pond. Very common. They'll receive permission of the local ConCon to do weed control and/or drawdowns to boost recreational access.

No mystery at all. Not uncommon at all.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Their history clearly explains it. It's a non natural basin, so definitely not a great pond. It was man made, the land around it was developed by a developer and sold off. It's just a private development around a body of water that isn't a great pond. Very common. They'll receive permission of the local ConCon to do weed control and/or drawdowns to boost recreational access.

No mystery at all. Not uncommon at all.
Came to state the same ... man-made therefor legal. Not uncommon, but also not common enough to believe the majority of lake/pond homes in MA aren't on public access lakes (or 'great ponds') ... they are.

Seems OP's immediate area simply has an abundance of private and public water lakes/ponds. I'm staring at serviceable year 'round lakes homes in Worcester county for <$500k, which given current interest rates, is relatively 'cheap'. There's a nice little bungalow on lake Quinsigamond in Worcester for $425k, though that's likely more 'urban' than OP is seeking ... on the plus side it has city water/sewer which would spare OP the pain of operating/maintaining private septic in a watershed. I know many of my local lakes have associations purely to manage septic and road access for the private homes abutting, but the lake itself adheres to town and state regs.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
A natural body of water qualifies as a ”great pond” if it's larger than 10 acres in area. Public access must be allowed to any such lake, though I don't think the law specifies exactly what that means, and I don't know whether there has to be a way to park a vehicle or launch a boat. It often seems to me as if lakes tend to get built up with houses all the way around, and if you asked about getting to the water, every individual landowner would say ”Not over my property, pal”.

On the other hand, if you create an artificial lake, then you own it, and you can keep it all to yourself or reserve it to your homeowners' association, and not let anyone else get to it. Sunset Lake in Ashburnham is 300 acres in size, but it's an artificial lake that's private.

https://www.lakefrontliving.com/ma/sunset-lake

Old 05-12-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
A natural body of water qualifies as a ”great pond” if it's larger than 10 acres in area. Public access must be allowed to any such lake, though I don't think the law specifies exactly what that means, and I don't know whether there has to be a way to park a vehicle or launch a boat. It often seems to me as if lakes tend to get built up with houses all the way around, and if you asked about getting to the water, every individual landowner would say ”Not over my property, pal”.

On the other hand, if you create an artificial lake, then you own it, and you can keep it all to yourself or reserve it to your homeowners' association, and not let anyone else get to it. Sunset Lake in Ashburnham is 300 acres in size, but it's an artificial lake that's private.

https://www.lakefrontliving.com/ma/sunset-lake

It's more complicated than natural body of water, in reality. Many 10 acre naturally occurring ponds aren't great ponds
The basin can't have been artificially modified, and the reality a very significant percentage of waterbodies have been in this area, from a dam put in on an outlet and now removed 300 years ago, to modifying the shoreline, etc. That is why it needs considerable research to make a determination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts