Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 AM

837 posts, read 1,229,127 times

Advertisements

If you were going to retire in MA, would you move from where you are now? And if so, where to?

Not that I'm going to right now but that age is creeping upon me so I'm starting to think out various scenarios. My own caveats: The age difference between my spouse and I (aka he won't be retiring for awhile) and the Boston area is out of the question because of the prices. I also don't want to include the Cape because there are too many retirees down there already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 07:42 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,351,342 times
Move to Worcester county, is the 4th lowest number of 65+ (if you don't want that), far enough from Boston to be considerably cheaper, close enough to be very much doable to go there for any need. A very good Hospital in Worcester but still doable to go to Boston, if you prefer, for major things.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:50 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,927,178 times
I'd rather move north, but where I'm at now is pretty good for getting really old - I'm 1/3 mile from a hospital.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:00 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,293,565 times
I live in Northampton and am very close to retirement. I've only lived here for two years, but the longer that I am here, the more I really, really like it. I originally thought that I would move back to NH, or maybe to Maine for retirement. But I am now thinking more & more that I might just stay right here. Some of the things that I like about this place for retirement:

1) There is a very diverse age demographic, including many fit older people
2) There are a ton of things to do outdoors here. Trails, bike paths, hiking
3) There are urban(ish), suburban and rural areas all within a couple of miles.
4) Lots of great restaurants, shops, coffee places, breweries in town
5) There is a town culture/vibe
6) There are lots of fitness-related options, yoga studios, etc.
7) There is just about every kind of architecture imaginable in this town, it's visually interesting
8) Personal reason: my house is a single story mid-century ranch that was a gut renovation before I bought it. It is easy to maintain and easy to live in and cost a fraction of what I would have had to pay for it in E. MA.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:16 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,604,423 times
When i retire, i will be leaving MA. Doesn't make sense to stay here given the costs.

I figure I can sell my overpriced Metro Boston home and settle in one of the 3 northern New England States and enjoy retirement in peace and quiet, but still be within a 2 hr drive of Boston to see family/kids, etc.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:20 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,459,496 times
I left MA to retire in Colorado but if I hadn't found a place I wanted to live so much, I'd have stayed out near 495 and maybe tried to figure out a summer place up north. Cannot stand the summer humidity.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:26 AM

7,937 posts, read 7,845,959 times
Nh taxes dividends and has a state property tax so it isn't exactly retirement friendly. Vermont overall has higher taxes, I think Geoff might chime in here. Most of the development in Vermont is near Burlington which is much further north. Also keep in mind that when you have areas with less development there's less highway exits. I missed one for Brattleboro and the next one was 12 miles away! Portland is good for Maine. The trouble with other states is the development is clustered in some areas rather than spread out.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 18,882,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Nh taxes dividends and has a state property tax so it isn't exactly retirement friendly. Vermont overall has higher taxes, I think Geoff might chime in here. Most of the development in Vermont is near Burlington which is much further north. Also keep in mind that when you have areas with less development there's less highway exits. I missed one for Brattleboro and the next one was 12 miles away! Portland is good for Maine. The trouble with other states is the development is clustered in some areas rather than spread out.

Not everybody is looking for development. Maine has lots of opportunity to own 40 acres, lakefront, etc. In Mass. you're SOL there.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:23 AM

7,937 posts, read 7,845,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not everybody is looking for development. Maine has lots of opportunity to own 40 acres, lakefront, etc. In Mass. you're SOL there.
the berkshires could probably have that and maybe franklin county. I know not everyone is looking for development. Long ago I thought of moving to northeast Nevada (Elko). It's nearly the size of Ma and CT. Well there isn't much there. I thought at the time living off grid would be good but then when you start to see how complicated systems can get and the lack of responses...screw it. Access to health care matters more to me. If you fall and break a hip you are SOL until you get to a hospital. Let's not forget the lack of cell phone let alone data access.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 18,882,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
the berkshires could probably have that and maybe franklin county. I know not everyone is looking for development. Long ago I thought of moving to northeast Nevada (Elko). It's nearly the size of Ma and CT. Well there isn't much there. I thought at the time living off grid would be good but then when you start to see how complicated systems can get and the lack of responses...screw it. Access to health care matters more to me. If you fall and break a hip you are SOL until you get to a hospital. Let's not forget the lack of cell phone let alone data access.

I'd be surprised if any waterfront property is still touchable even in the most remote nooks and crannies of Western Mass., same with any significant amount of acreage. More restrictive red tape, firearms laws, etc. depending on what one is looking to do. You have natural beauty and outdoor opportunities, but it's not on the same scale as ME, NH, VT. The tradeoff of medical care and other services is a major factor especially as one ages; but there are still plenty who just assume take the risk in exchange for the peace and quiet, lower cost, greater freedoms, breathing room...everyone's priorities are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts