Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 03:28 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

The unfortunately fact is that anything you post on social media can come back to haunt you, controversial or not. Think of it this way, anyone who has a vendetta against you can use that against you for something if they really wanted to.

It’s not just conservative topics which are the target. I do know of one individual who concealed their homosexuality on social media because they resided in a pretty conservative area and didn’t want to lose out on a job because of someone who didn’t agree with their lifestyle.

In another example, I had a buddy who had a bitter divorce with his ex and a custody battle. One day he posted a pic of a very nice car with a caption “if only I never married and had kids”. Apparently someone forwarded that to his ex and she used it in court (how I don’t quite understand).

My point is anything you post can come back to haunt you, no matter what the topic is. These days folks seem to not care about taking it to the extreme to get back at those who don’t have the same views as them. Conservative, Democrat, doesn’t matter. Social media is just full of hate these days. Click on the comments on any ad you see and you’ll see what I mean. Some folks are insulting the model/brand/employee, and other folks are tearing apart people’s comments.

I don’t post on social media but I’ve always said “never post anything that you don’t want to come back to haunt you in a court of law”. As much as I make fun of people who post pics of their dinner….maybe they have the right idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 05:54 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Yes I sometimes cringe at what people put on social media.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:56 PM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
So I watched her videos and frankly...that's it?
https://www.masslive.com/capecod/202...ry-tiktok.html

If this is it then she pretty much has a case. She might seem like an ass but this isn't really enough to terminate someone. What's going to probably happen is maybe they hire her back and she stops or they go to a large out of court settlement.

It's almost like she wanted to get fired for the attention. I was expecting Dianna Ploss and this is more like a disgruntled Fred Rodgers.
That's the first time I've seen her video. Thanks for sharing.

I think her views might be a bit overly simplistic, but she's hardly cruel. To fire someone over that is quite worrying to me.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:15 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The unfortunately fact is that anything you post on social media can come back to haunt you, controversial or not. Think of it this way, anyone who has a vendetta against you can use that against you for something if they really wanted to.

It’s not just conservative topics which are the target. I do know of one individual who concealed their homosexuality on social media because they resided in a pretty conservative area and didn’t want to lose out on a job because of someone who didn’t agree with their lifestyle.

In another example, I had a buddy who had a bitter divorce with his ex and a custody battle. One day he posted a pic of a very nice car with a caption “if only I never married and had kids”. Apparently someone forwarded that to his ex and she used it in court (how I don’t quite understand).

My point is anything you post can come back to haunt you, no matter what the topic is. These days folks seem to not care about taking it to the extreme to get back at those who don’t have the same views as them. Conservative, Democrat, doesn’t matter. Social media is just full of hate these days. Click on the comments on any ad you see and you’ll see what I mean. Some folks are insulting the model/brand/employee, and other folks are tearing apart people’s comments.

I don’t post on social media but I’ve always said “never post anything that you don’t want to come back to haunt you in a court of law”. As much as I make fun of people who post pics of their dinner….maybe they have the right idea.
It's true what you post on social media can cost your well being. The big difference here is the gay person you mentioned would be the victim just for being who they are. He/she would be a victim of discrimination because they are a member of a marginalized group. This woman in Hanover is actually attacking groups of students/people and wants to use her bigotry to shape the school system and the image of the town. She made her intent clear from the beginning. She is not entitled to protections for being a hateful bigot. She is NOT a victim in any way, shape or form. You don't have to be a bigot to be a "conservative." Apples and oranges.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:39 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
It's true what you post on social media can cost your well being. The big difference here is the gay person you mentioned would be the victim just for being who they are. He/she would be a victim of discrimination because they are a member of a marginalized group. This woman in Hanover is actually attacking groups of students/people and wants to use her bigotry to shape the school system and the image of the town. She made her intent clear from the beginning. She is not entitled to protections for being a hateful bigot. She is NOT a victim in any way, shape or form. You don't have to be a bigot to be a "conservative." Apples and oranges.
Wow talking about hyperbole...

We even talking about the same video???

Old 10-13-2021, 07:07 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
I can't see the video. Not sure i really want to put the effort into finding it.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:51 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Within the context of a video there was no swears or epithets given to any group of individuals or individual. She literally said she doesn't think that boys can decide to be girls and vice versa and didn't like the idea of critical race Theory saying that she doesn't believe that the country had racist intentions from its founding.

Either they go with an out-of-court settlement with this or they hire her back. If they give her an out-of-court settlement she's going to have more money to biscuit and do whatever she wants so I don't know if the district you want that either. Heck what if she signed a book deal. The school district literally took the bait on this and they're going to be held responsible for the liabilities of it.

An old colleague of mine made a very strong argument that Academia does not have freedom of speech and the reason why is because of codes of conduct. What exactly is the objective of tenure if it's still includes some form of termination?

Get her profile she has way more subscribers than there are students in her own District so I make the argument that she was targeting her own students might not really work. And it's not as if she was trying to hide herself online because she didn't use any sort of anonymous Channel or profile name. From the looks of a video she didn't make them while in class or even on school grounds so if it's somebody on their own time in a private setting on a message that is not directly aimed at students I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

The school district my counter and say that Tik-Tok Is frequent by youth which is true but there's so much other content out there.

If we're really going to dig into people's lives and what they do and what they've done how far is that going to go? On a side note way back in the day supposedly my freshman high-school English teacher posed in Playboy. It was a long-rumored but no one could show the evidence. However in the same district there was a seventh grade computer teacher who supposedly posing play girl and some student brought it in!! Now that's a bit of a disruption to say the least. I had a teacher in the mid-nineties that would often get very sick and because he was openly gay some assumed he had Aids (he didn't)

I am perfectly fine having a discussion with people that disagree with me on any variety of issues. If you cross the line and you start using epithets and swears and start getting the things that are racial or sexist or homophobic or transphobic of misogynistic I can't talk with you anymore. If the school district honestly believes that a form of a discussion cannot be made then it's a detriment to the students. I would rather have a discussion with somebody that disagrees with me and that is bringing up actual evidence and factual basis to make the logical argument then that have a discussion with somebody that I agree with and provides Nothing But Blind faith

Old 10-14-2021, 06:32 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Welcome to 1984! You got exactly what you voted for, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
That's the first time I've seen her video. Thanks for sharing.

I think her views might be a bit overly simplistic, but she's hardly cruel. To fire someone over that is quite worrying to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts