Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 03:51 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

My daughters kindergarten teacher has the word brat in her Instagram name. My dh and I looked her up and were kind of like hmm your a kindergarten teacher and that's the name you picked? Lol. She also has another account that she uses to post pics for parents. People need to accept that folks have a life outside of their job. Why people feel the need to rant and rave about controversial subjects on social media is beyond me. They should join citydata! Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 06:31 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My daughters kindergarten teacher has the word brat in her Instagram name. My dh and I looked her up and were kind of like hmm your a kindergarten teacher and that's the name you picked? Lol. She also has another account that she uses to post pics for parents. People need to accept that folks have a life outside of their job. Why people feel the need to rant and rave about controversial subjects on social media is beyond me. They should join citydata! Ha.

Yeah as a teacher, cop, etc., you are in a public trust position and representative of your city/town or whatever. If it's too much for you to conduct yourself like an adult on while on social media (no that is not private), then those probably aren't the careers for you to begin with. Like you said, there's always anonymous forums such as this one to spout off on...

Old 10-11-2021, 07:38 PM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times
I haven't seen the tik toks so I don't know what this teacher was saying.

I do think that people can have their own views on challenging subjects while still maintaining a job that requires them to interreact with the public (teacher, police, firefighter, etc), but it really depends on how they present their arguments.

If there's a teacher who is opposed to promoting new theories on gender/sex etc and they wish to discuss it, I think any intelligent discussion is good for the public discourse. However, if they're presenting in a hyperbolic way that marginalizes people people who think differently then there probably isn't a place for them in our school system. For example

Teacher 1. A teacher makes a video that comes out against giving kids puberty blockers and giving girls hormones before they turn 18. The video is well researched and she uses her facts and experience to present an intelligent case to stop this fad.

Teacher 2. Another teacher makes a video that insults and derides trans kids and their parents for going against God/nature/whatever while using slurs and insensitive and hyperbolic language with the sole purpose of getting clicks to her video.

I'd like to think we all agree that Teacher 2 should lose her job, while Teacher 1 shouldn't. The problem these days is that we seem to lump all of the Teacher 2s with the Teacher 1s and that does nothing but harm our public intellectual discourse.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I haven't seen the tik toks so I don't know what this teacher was saying.

I do think that people can have their own views on challenging subjects while still maintaining a job that requires them to interreact with the public (teacher, police, firefighter, etc), but it really depends on how they present their arguments.

If there's a teacher who is opposed to promoting new theories on gender/sex etc and they wish to discuss it, I think any intelligent discussion is good for the public discourse. However, if they're presenting in a hyperbolic way that marginalizes people people who think differently then there probably isn't a place for them in our school system. For example

Teacher 1. A teacher makes a video that comes out against giving kids puberty blockers and giving girls hormones before they turn 18. The video is well researched and she uses her facts and experience to present an intelligent case to stop this fad.

Teacher 2. Another teacher makes a video that insults and derides trans kids and their parents for going against God/nature/whatever while using slurs and insensitive and hyperbolic language with the sole purpose of getting clicks to her video.

I'd like to think we all agree that Teacher 2 should lose her job, while Teacher 1 shouldn't. The problem these days is that we seem to lump all of the Teacher 2s with the Teacher 1s and that does nothing but harm our public intellectual discourse.

Teacher #1 is free to privately share that video among family and friends in her free time. She should exercise better judgement than to publish it on social media or other public space, knowing that she is a seen in the public's eyes as a representative of her school district.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 PM

560 posts, read 752,289 times
The problem is when you post your views online, its going to influence how other perceive you and how they assume you perceive them. Thats just reality.

Imagine being a confused 6th grader who sees online that their teacher thinks that transgender is a mental disorder/something else with a derogatory connotation. That is really going to impact how you interact with that teacher and how emotionally safe/unsafe you feel in that classroom.

Unfortunately, if you are a teacher, you should keep your views to your immediate circle. The potential negative repercussions far outweigh the potential positive ones.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Teacher #1 is free to privately share that video among family and friends in her free time. She should exercise better judgement than to publish it on social media or other public space, knowing that she is a seen in the public's eyes as a representative of her school district.
Okay then, what if Teacher 1 said the opposite. She says (respectfully and with supporting data) that she supports young students getting puberty blockers and older girls getting testosterone? Would she be allowed to do it then?

Old 10-11-2021, 09:58 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Problem is that teacher is a lot more likely to get fired than a teacher who posts something along the lines of “We must give puberty blockers and hormones to every student in order to dismantle the oppressive cis scum patriarchy.”

Quote:

Old 10-11-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Okay then, what if Teacher 1 said the opposite. She says (respectfully and with supporting data) that she supports young students getting puberty blockers and older girls getting testosterone? Would she be allowed to do it then?

We can go on all day and keep a score card of which is worse or more inappropriate. Point is, just not doing it in the first place is always going to be the right answer and a teacher should know better.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Problem is that teacher is a lot more likely to get fired than a teacher who posts something along the lines of “We must give puberty blockers and hormones to every student in order to dismantle the oppressive cis scum patriarchy.”

You are probably right, but life will never be fair. Hence why it's important for a professional to keep their own nose clean, and not worry about what limits "others are pushing".

Old 10-11-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
We can go on all day and keep a score card of which is worse or more inappropriate. Point is, just not doing it in the first place is always going to be the right answer and a teacher should know better.
I respect your answer even though I don't agree. I'm simply looking for consistency across the board.

Last edited by MrDee12345; 10-11-2021 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts