Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:55 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,559,787 times

Advertisements

We’re 40 and still send out about 50-75.

We get an equal amount from peers and family. The wall is filled up by the end of Dec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 03:47 PM

919 posts, read 567,225 times
I send out shy of 4 dozen. Lots of people still do. And it's a great way to support the USPS.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 8,587 times
Most everyone I know with young kids sends Christmas cards with photos of their kids. I get 60 or 70 a year. I've sent cards every year since I had my first child over a decade ago, but took a break last year.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:06 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,981,247 times
I'm 65 and although I've enjoyed sending and receiving cards over the years, I'm done. No cards this year. Some people get mad about waste or trees being used, some get mad about whatever the sentiment is - the words might not be the right ones. The picture on the card might not be correct. You just never know anymore.

I'm never offended by any good wishes sent my way but that's not the case with everyone. Also, the older I get the more people I know who have had deaths in their families - my own family included. I want to be respectful of that aspect.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:41 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,232,168 times
I wish I still did. About 8 years ago my husband had a massive heart attack right after Thanksgiving and that completely consumed us for a couple of months and we did not send out cards that year. Somehow we never got back into the habit after that both because the routine had been interrupted somehow I didn't feel like burdening folks with that (we would usually include a one page letter with our cards summarizing our year). Plus we have a number of friends at this point that we only have email addresses for, not actual physical addresses. Now, 8 years later it is hard to get back into it. It was kind of a chore but I miss it.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:23 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,890,462 times
WE receive and send out cards ,some to business associates, family and friends.[real friends not Tic-Toc or Facebook.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:22 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,835,124 times
I'll get a card from my folks that's about it. As a family we stopped doing that easily 25 years ago. Getting a little updates about how people's kids are was largely replaced with Facebook. Growing up I didn't have an issue with the postal service but increasingly I have. A few years ago a check actually was lost in the mail and I've had shipments that take significantly longer than what they did years ago.

Is somebody really wants to talk to me they can just call me up I'm pretty open. The other thing is to be frank online is friends because you can't expect that everybody's going to stay in the same area. I don't know the addresses of many people that I know. Many people do not want you to know where they live.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:41 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,132,790 times
Mid 30's here and we send and receive a lot. Almost all the ones we receive are from people with kids. I don't get any from single friends.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 PM

2,950 posts, read 5,203,695 times
Wow, surprised at so many here who still receive and send cards...some of you still send so many cards!

I often try to buy cards which support a local charity, such as Children's Hospital/Jimmy Fund with a local image (Jimmy Fund cards are often sold at Stop & Shop in boxes and likely elsewhere in recent years instead of just at their gift shop.)

In the past I've bought cards supportung Angell Animal Hospital or Animal Rescue League of Boston, Pine Street Inn and I think Rosie's Place women's shelter.

I think in recent years I've discovered some of them no longer sell holiday cards anymore. Gee, it would seem a natural in these trying times to try to raise funds this way.

I even caught myself perusing the old Papyrus Thanksgiving cards still on the rack at Whole Foods Market yesterday! All their cards for any season and reason are lovely, but oh so $$$.

Anybody send a card to a single person under 30 ...who actually sends one back?

I had extra cards last year and handed them to my two twenty-something nephews on Christmas Eve before we exchabged gifts. They likely thought it odd to get a card, but I like to instill some tradition in them, like it or not!

Old 11-29-2021, 10:24 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,962,778 times
I am 59 and have not sent out Christmas cards for about 30 years. I like the tradition but year-end was my most stressful time at work and I simply had no time. I have used cards to give gifts to select people but that is it.

Now that I have retired, I am thinking of reviving the sending of Christmas cards to select people, with a personal message. I have been sick this year and many people have been very good to me. In such a cold and ugly era, it's a nice throwback to what was a nicer time in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: