Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 07:05 AM

21,770 posts, read 12,915,591 times

Advertisements

The Globe says less than 10% of the state is Republican right now and there are only 4 Republican senators. They also said mounting a convention would be a struggle and they have $0 listed for a general campaign slush fund…

“Just a few years ago, the party had millions flowing through its campaign coffers. Now, less than a year out from a statewide election, its cash stockpile is a fraction of that, and numerous insiders say the organization is in tatters. A document listing anticipated party costs and revenue for 2022, circulated to the state committee and obtained by the Globe, does not allocate a single dollar for “campaign support.”

TBD,” the row reads.”

Massachusetts has even some of the most notable growth of white supremacy and other fring right extremist groups in the nation in recent years. So it’s not really surprising to me that half the Republican Party in the state is aligned with people like Jim Lyons. the Republican Party in MA has veered far right very quickly. IMO a lot of that is due to social and demographic changes in the state (occurring much faster than America in general) that are fab and fueled by Trump nonsense. Willingly walking into irrelevance…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 AM

I saw a graphic from WCVB with a guy named Orlando Silva running as a democrat. Appears he’s a Hispanic man who own an air duct cleaning company and lives in Shrewsbury..

https://www.massachusettsforall.com/

Old 12-06-2021, 07:54 AM

12,945 posts, read 22,123,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The Globe says less than 10% of the state is Republican right now and there are only 4 Republican senators. They also said mounting a convention would be a struggle and they have $0 listed for a general campaign slush fund…

“Just a few years ago, the party had millions flowing through its campaign coffers. Now, less than a year out from a statewide election, its cash stockpile is a fraction of that, and numerous insiders say the organization is in tatters. A document listing anticipated party costs and revenue for 2022, circulated to the state committee and obtained by the Globe, does not allocate a single dollar for “campaign support.”

TBD,” the row reads.”

Massachusetts has even some of the most notable growth of white supremacy and other fring right extremist groups in the nation in recent years. So it’s not really surprising to me that half the Republican Party in the state is aligned with people like Jim Lyons. the Republican Party in MA has veered far right very quickly. IMO a lot of that is due to social and demographic changes in the state (occurring much faster than America in general) that are fab and fueled by Trump nonsense. Willingly walking into irrelevance…
The vast majority of MA voters are "unenrolled" in a party. Of the 4.7 Million registered voters in MA, 2.7 million are unenrolled, 1.5 million are Dems and 460k are Republicans. Unless you're really active in politics (like plan on running for office, want to become a delegate, etc.), it doesn't make much sense to align yourself with a particular political party when you register to vote. The turmoil within the MA Republican party is likely an additional turnoff for republican voters. So I don't think that the MA Republican Party is representative of most of the people who vote for Republican candidates. Clearly there are issues within the party, but I don't think the party itself is what steered Baker away from running again. They've long had it out for him. He (or any other) moderate Republican could run in MA and be successful as an Independent.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The vast majority of MA voters are "unenrolled" in a party. Of the 4.7 Million registered voters in MA, 2.7 million are unenrolled, 1.5 million are Dems and 460k are Republicans. Unless you're really active in politics (like plan on running for office, want to become a delegate, etc.), it doesn't make much sense to align yourself with a particular political party when you register to vote. The turmoil within the MA Republican party is likely an additional turnoff for republican voters. So I don't think that the MA Republican Party is representative of most of the people who vote for Republican candidates. Clearly there are issues within the party, but I don't think the party itself is what steered Baker away from running again. They've long had it out for him. He (or any other) moderate Republican could run in MA and be successful as an Independent.
Less than 10% is less than 10% though. Low… even for MA. Additionally, are there any viable moderate republicans left? Most of the Rs I know of in MA are pretty out there.

I think COVID, people protesting outside his home, his own party, and the thought of having to establish a relationship with Wu was enough for Baker to call it quits. And as I said in here several times he just seems like he’d respect the two term thing as custom.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:00 PM

9,924 posts, read 7,271,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I saw a graphic from WCVB with a guy named Orlando Silva running as a democrat. Appears he’s a Hispanic man who own an air duct cleaning company and lives in Shrewsbury..

https://www.massachusettsforall.com/
Silva is a Portuguese name so I'm guessing he's a Brazilian immigrant.

If he is running, he's been very quiet about it. No news on that website since May.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:39 PM

26 posts, read 23,950 times
Taunton - they tried to light the green and there was stabbing lol... right across the street from the courthouse and the office of all the elected officals.

she needs to definitely go to boston.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:54 PM

5,155 posts, read 2,713,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
I feel like Lyons is very out of touch and doesn't know how to secure GOP wins in this state. That's a problem if we don't want to live in a one party state (which I personally don't). Any clue who's projected to take the helm after Lyons?
Absolutely, and he does not represent his party well and strikes me as a real jackass. I think part of the problem is that most voters in MA who may align more with some of the GOP platform don't really consider themselves Republicans and are not active in the party. As such, the party is controlled by a small group. And like the Ted Cruz wing of the National GOP as well as all the loons in the DNC, will cut off their noses to spite their face. I feel like the only hope for this state are true independents. No, not "moderates" or "centrists" but independent thinkers who are out for solutions and who can stand up to the bullies (including the media) without buckling. I don't mean someone who is not willing to compromise, but someone who will actually lead, risk political capital and do what's needed in running the government.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:17 PM

337 posts, read 269,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
In January, Lyons was re-elected to be the head of the party for 2 more years. It was a close election (39-36) and he defeated Shawn Dooley, Mass rep from 9th Norfolk.

Under his tenure, the Republican party lost seats in the state legislature and saw fund raising drop dramatically - from $8 million in 2018 to $3 million in 2020. There was talk that state party couldn't even afford to have a convention this year.

Criticism of Lyons from within the state party is that he is too focused on bringing national Republican priorities to the state where it doesn't fit the nature of Massachusetts.
Thanks for the info! Yeah this is exactly what my impression is. I didn't notice any obvious statement about Smith & Wesson moving their headquarters from Massachusetts to Kentucky due to the proposed gun manufacturing bill, even though that meant a significant loss of jobs for the Springfield area. How could you not speak to those people in your state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Absolutely, and he does not represent his party well and strikes me as a real jackass. I think part of the problem is that most voters in MA who may align more with some of the GOP platform don't really consider themselves Republicans and are not active in the party. As such, the party is controlled by a small group. And like the Ted Cruz wing of the National GOP as well as all the loons in the DNC, will cut off their noses to spite their face. I feel like the only hope for this state are true independents. No, not "moderates" or "centrists" but independent thinkers who are out for solutions and who can stand up to the bullies (including the media) without buckling. I don't mean someone who is not willing to compromise, but someone who will actually lead, risk political capital and do what's needed in running the government.
Agreed.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:54 PM

I thought S&W was moving to Tennessee?

Old 12-06-2021, 07:22 PM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times
Everybody seems to be forgetting that Mass. has open primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts