Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 01:49 PM

5,106 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

If they didn't give me a reasonable answer I would close all my accounts with them and take my business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 PM

425 posts, read 647,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Its a scam, as the claim process is free.
The claim process may be free, but there is meaningful paperwork for larger sums. I just got $8K from an old account in my grandpa's name but to do so, I had to first file documents with the probate court. It wasn't 'hard' but my parents and sisters would have zero idea how to approach it and probably would hire an attorney to do it.

But it's a no brainer process to do the smaller stuff.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:55 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I've used it before to find a lost account.

I actually think i have some pending money right now I should make a claim for. Forgot all about it until this thread. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2021, 02:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 684,214 times
I typed in my name to see if I had any money and I was directed towards whom I believe to be a is a relative of mine who has some unclaimed money.

I have a very unique last name so this guy is probably related to me in some way so I'm tempted to write him and say "Hey, I'm a related to you somehow and you have some sort of account you haven't claimed."

Old 01-01-2022, 01:56 PM

128 posts, read 57,318 times
I went to UMass and I found my name on the list. I had a little over $50 at findmassmoney, from from something from back when I was at school.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:43 PM

962 posts, read 469,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
The claim process may be free, but there is meaningful paperwork for larger sums. I just got $8K from an old account in my grandpa's name but to do so, I had to first file documents with the probate court. It wasn't 'hard' but my parents and sisters would have zero idea how to approach it and probably would hire an attorney to do it.

But it's a no brainer process to do the smaller stuff.

I appreciate that the state Treasurer's Office has advertised the site and made it easy to find and use, but unfortunately the paperwork applies to many smaller claims as well. I'm on there for $24 for a refund on an auto insurance policy I cancelled when I moved out of state. My late father is on there for two items totaling $51. I started the process and found out that each of these claims would require copious documentation (death certificates, notarized stuff) which would cost me around $60 to obtain, and for 15 bucks net it just isn't worth the effort for me. I'm happy to let it revert to the state at this point.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:10 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,293 times
I think the origins are when New York (I think) declared that the money in inactive bank accounts would henceforth be turned over to the State. After that, it appears to me that we saw the ads in newspapers and radio giving people the chance to see if there was anything for them. I once read through a list and saw what was obviously the mis-spelled name of a divorced Korean co-worker. It was off by only a letter or two. She didn't want to be bothered. It was listed as about $160 I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: