Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 01:26 PM

943 posts, read 411,195 times

Advertisements

What a gruesome story! Someone with 2 year postgrad studies is not a professor. Still, seems like a smart person with that career. I can't imagine it was intentional - why would you intentionally run someone over in front of a house with a party, which increases the chance of witnesses? They had been bar-hopping, so they should be able to figure out how much she had to drink, and I am sure they'll be able to find out if meds that she is taking interact with alcohol. And even if it was intentional, how intentional is it when you are totally drunk? I do think DUI with a death that follows should be punished quite severely: Nobody should go barhopping and expect to drive home!!!
How absolutely horrible for the kids he was raising. To lose a third caregiver/parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 01:57 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,242,983 times
It most likely wasn’t intentional but murders happen every day and they certainly happen when someone is under the influence. Maybe she lost her temper and smashed into him and left. I think that sounds just as weird as being so drunk you had no idea you hit someone, let alone your boyfriend with your car.

It’s just a weird sad story from many angles. I read an article this morning that described the accident as ‘mysterious’ so people are definitely looking for answers to all of this. I think it’s going to be hard to accept for some that she was just drunk and hit him with her car pulling away to the point that he died. People get hit by cars and walk away. I would think to hit and kill someone with your car you’d have to be going pretty damn fast or roll over them when they were already on the ground. How fast could she have been going just pulling away? You can’t get up to that high of a speed pulling away from somewhere that you were just stopped.

His injuries are also troubling. multiple skull fractures, a 2-inch laceration to the back of his head, two black eyes, injuries to his forearm and his clothing was covered in blood and vomit, the station reported. They indicated that hypothermia was a contributing factor to his death.

Also the broken cocktail glass found at the scene is weird. I wish they’d release the footage found on surveillance to give a better idea.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:38 PM

943 posts, read 411,195 times
Yeah, they should be able to figure out what happened with the footage, and witnesses at the bar (were they fighting?). What kind of car was it? It's also possible, and perhaps likely, she realized she hit him (unintentionally) and then did not do the right thing (call 911) because she knew she was drunk and would be in trouble, and couldn't think rationally. People should not enter a vehicle while under the influence. Period. And the punishment should be severe. If you go barhopping, you know you are going to drink, and you made the decision to drive after drinking. So in that sense, the killing was definitely intentional either way (she could have killed any pedestrian). It's not in the same league as having a small drink while at a friend's house and not realizing how strong it was.
What a gruesome gruesome and apparently slow death. Hopefully he was too drunk to realize what was happening.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:44 PM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times
I believe it was intentional.

"Despite not remembering the night before, Read reportedly admitted to mowing her boyfriend down with her SUV."

Old 02-05-2022, 10:19 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
What does being a cop and professor have to do with anything?

Old 02-05-2022, 10:42 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What does being a cop and professor have to do with anything?
Feel free to ask the NY post why they chose that as their headline for the story?

Personally I think this story wouldn’t be getting the attention that it is if didn’t involve a cop, particularly a Boston cop. For whatever reason people in MA love stories of controversy about police officers. The fact that she was an adjunct professor and good looking is probably adding to the attention of the story.

There was a recent story about a Boston cop who traded drugs for sex:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp

There were multiple stories about it for a few days but if that had been a regular citizen it would have been a non story. There’s just more shock value when it’s a cop.

If this situation was a waitress or hairdresser who drunkenly killed her electrician boyfriend I just don’t think the story would be picked up by like people magazine, ny post, nbc news, etc. not to say those people aren’t as important but just makes for a less interesting story.

Did we hear much about this? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...arged/38633436

No.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:12 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Feel free to ask the NY post why they chose that as their headline for the story?

Personally I think this story wouldn’t be getting the attention that it is if didn’t involve a cop, particularly a Boston cop. For whatever reason people in MA love stories of controversy about police officers. The fact that she was an adjunct professor and good looking is probably adding to the attention of the story.
^This. I'll shameless admit that this is what drew me in to the story, on the Daily Mail!

Old 02-06-2022, 04:58 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^This. I'll shameless admit that this is what drew me in to the story, on the Daily Mail!
Lol really?

Old 02-06-2022, 06:30 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Lol really?
Sorry. Yes, that plus the local angle. I'm a male, and still carry that reptilian part of my brain.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:35 PM

I mean someone being good looking does seem to get America’s attention. I heard the gabby petito case got a lot of attention because she’s a cute blonde.

Mayor wu attended the officer’s wake/funeral In Braintree today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts