Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 10:28 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,354,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That said, the mere fact that something is a stereotype in one instance doesn't mean it is in all instances.
Intent is what really matter. You can act kind but with the intent of being insulting and you are insulting.
You can act rudely (or even wrongly) without intent of being insulting and you are not insulting.

Unless this turns out to have a negative intent (unlikely if it's true that a black worker was the one that came up with the idea, it's really nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 10:29 AM

45,600 posts, read 60,912,159 times
Did they also serve collard greens?

Old 02-04-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I think that would be a missed opportunity.
There is valid historical perspective associated with food.
But that is just my opinion.
For what though? I am all for exposing kids to foreign foods. They could have a day a week with food from a different country, it would be cool. But has nothing to do with black history month

Old 02-04-2022, 10:31 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,335,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right I remember seeing a cartoon a few years back that showed Obama using watermelon toothpaste and there was outrage over it. I was just like, ok associating black people with watermelon is highly offensive and don't do it.

I guess today I just can't help but ask the question of why? Why is it highly offensive to associate black people with watermelon and fried chicken? Based on the article that someone posted above fried chicken is not a negative thing in black history.

I think people associate Irish people with potatoes and no one flies off the handle about that. There was the potato famine which killed hundreds of thousands of Irish people and as far as i know people don't get offended that potatoes are a large staple in Irish 'cuisine'. I personally don't even get offended when i see some people make fun of Irish for being drunks or low class people of Boston because I know it's not true.

To move forward as a society sometimes Why should be asked and it shouldn't just be accepted that fried chicken and watermelon should not be talked about around black people. It seems kind of ridiculous. I can think of many many things that could be offensive but two food items?

This also was an idea from someone who was black supposedly so they weren't offended if they came up with the idea.
The article I cited answers your question of how/why it became a negative trope.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:32 AM

16,776 posts, read 8,508,394 times
It's also Chinese New year this week isn't it? Did any cafeterias serve Chinese food?

Old 02-04-2022, 10:51 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,280,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
For what though? I am all for exposing kids to foreign foods. They could have a day a week with food from a different country, it would be cool. But has nothing to do with black history month
If I were to write that history lesson I'd highlight at least the following.
I. African Americans often refer to fried chicken as a “Gospel bird” because of its connection to Sunday church culture. The go to meal after services .Discuss religion among AA and its impact Especially the popularity of Baptist churches. How it united communities. Segway into Church bombing and racism.

II. Soul food movement. The connections to identity politics, bad health raps, and healthier alternatives.

III.Fried Chickens impact on African American economics.
900-person town of Gordonsville, Virginia, became known as the “Fried Chicken Capital of the World” in the second half of the 1800s.
Entrepreneurial vendors proliferated and fried chicken singlehandedly helped many African Americans move out of the region and build their own homes

A lot of this is based on the article linked above.
This a rich subject worthy of a lecture for sure.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:53 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,280,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's also Chinese New year this week isn't it? Did any cafeterias serve Chinese food?
Our cafeterias give out oranges for good luck.
It is another important holiday with heavy food connotations.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Historically, fried chicken and watermelon have been used in derogatory ways to mock black people; that's why it's a problem. Blame D.W Griffith if you like. They basically took a well-known (but apparently not well-known enough) negative stereotype and trotted it out to celebrate.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...type-come-from
This article may have some truth but "chicken is eaten with hands then dirty food" sounds pretty dumb take. There are plenty of food people eat with their hands, not just chicken.

BTW, the reference is a silent movie? And you expect people to know about it in 2020?

Anyway, I looked into it and black Americans eat significantly more chicken and fish than Americans of any other race. I am talking about 50% more. Also slightly more turkey and pork.
https://countinganimals.com/meat-con...ce-and-gender/

So really it isn't that surprising that a guy at the cafeteria thought it was a good idea probably without malice.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:58 AM

16,776 posts, read 8,508,394 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
This article may have some truth but "chicken is eaten with hands then dirty food" it's a pretty dumb take. There are plenty of food people eat with their hands, not just chicken.
Absolutely.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:12 AM

10,069 posts, read 15,747,266 times
Maybe next time they can serve some chitlins .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts