Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny123456 View Post
As to working at home, people can think what they will... None of us can tell the future and it's probably industry related. Believe it or not, plenty were work at home friendly long before Covid. Employers who are willing to accommodate that will remain, I am confident of that. Could it narrow our career options somewhat, perhaps... but at this stage in the game our primary focus is quality of life and spending hours a day commuting is not in alignment with that, no matter where we end up living or even if we stay where we are.
Case you haven't been paying attention to the stock market recently... it appears that the Fed is going to continue to raise rates until people start getting scared for their job enough that they will accept going back to the office among other things. Hopefully it will also curb inflation without also crashing the economy but their track record on getting a "soft landing" is bad so who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 01:55 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Completely agree. This isn't a decision being taken lightly, by any means. I am just not sure what a compromise could look like. The houses in our town, or towns like it, that we can afford (barely) are going to be 1950's ranches with less space than our condo and a crapton more work. The condo is heading to where it's going to start needing work too and it's killing me to spend money and effort there when we've long outgrown it. Ugh. As a side note, if someone told me even 6-7 years ago that we'd have this problem at our target budget, I'd laugh. Now that's not so funny.
Right. I know people who are living in Boston who had planned to move to a suburb in hopes of better schools for their kids. Anyone who didn't move before 2020 now basically can't find the house they want in the town(s) they had hoped for. You are not alone.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:56 PM

Default re

Quote:
We are not ready to pull the trigger on anything right now so it may very well end up being next year. This is obviously a big decision, not that buying a house ever isn't that. But I don't feel like we know the area enough to rush into things, hence the research.

As to working at home, people can think what they will... None of us can tell the future and it's probably industry related. Believe it or not, plenty were work at home friendly long before Covid. Employers who are willing to accommodate that will remain, I am confident of that. Could it narrow our career options somewhat, perhaps... but at this stage in the game our primary focus is quality of life and spending hours a day commuting is not in alignment with that, no matter where we end up living or even if we stay where we are.
I get it, many people were already working from home or were on a hybrid schedule before covid. I've been surprised at how resistant people here have been to WFH. I'm also not sure why someone else WFH matters them? Yesmaybe is really against WFH.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:28 PM

18 posts, read 11,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Case you haven't been paying attention to the stock market recently... it appears that the Fed is going to continue to raise rates until people start getting scared for their job enough that they will accept going back to the office among other things. Hopefully it will also curb inflation without also crashing the economy but their track record on getting a "soft landing" is bad so who knows.
We are kind of digressing here, but have you considered that plenty of jobs are responsible for global or otherwise geographically dispersed matters, where it truly benefits no one to be going into any office? And that those companies smartened up and stopped paying rent on offices where people went only to sit in their fishbowls with headsets on? Of course depending on what one does for a living, that may be more of a concern for some. But in my field being forced back into the office is truly not something I am going to lose any sleep over. Now that I think about it, I actually haven't consistently gone to the office five days a week since 2011.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
But in my field being forced back into the office is truly not something I am going to lose any sleep over. Now that I think about it, I actually haven't consistently gone to the office five days a week since 2011.
That mentality is why they are going to have to make it hurt to be effective.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:59 AM

Omg

Old 05-21-2022, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 426,051 times
I don’t know a ton about Mansfield except I often go to concerts at The Xfinity Center and a college friend is a teacher at Jordan Jackson Elementary. The concert venue is out by the highway, but I have driven through the downtown on a few occasions and thought it was very pretty. Sort of like your quintessential American downtown with Main St. USA running through the middle of it. My friend loves teaching at JJ, has been there for years, and is very dedicated to her job. I’ve only ever heard her say good things about the kids and families she’s worked with.

Another college friend’s sister lived in Easton but moved back to Lexington to be closer to family a few years ago after getting divorced. I’ll ask my friend about her sister’s experience in Easton.

Last edited by Remy11; 05-21-2022 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-21-2022, 11:08 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
That mentality is why they are going to have to make it hurt to be effective.
Right. They’re pulling the macroeconomic levers so old school middle management can force people back into the office.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Right. They’re pulling the macroeconomic levers so old school middle management can force people back into the office.
It's coming from the top. You could say that it's more the perception that people can easily find another job if they don't like things.. and RTO is definitely one of them. Apple recently delayed their return again for like the third time, using "increased covid cases" as an excuse but we all know the real reason.

I think OP has a good chance of getting a nice discount compared to today in something like Easton if they really want to live there. The problem might be what the mortgage rate is.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I ran into a friend the other day who lives in Easton. His wife just retired as a Fidelity VP. She rode the train in from Stoughton for a bunch of years. They live in a leafy house near the Country Club. I’ve been there a few dozen times over the years. They have twins who went through the Easton school system and turned out fine. He had a geriatric mother in North Dartmouth and her family is in Middleboro so their reasons for Easton were similar to the original poster in this thread.

Look at demographics from the census and housing prices. Anyone buying in Easton in the last couple of decades is white collar. The town is 50% college educated adults and 6-figure household income. 4% poverty rate. 80% homeowners. The school system is going to reflect that white collar shift.

I recall something funky about their schools. I think there are two colocated elementary schools and the most affluent part of the town was assigned to one of the schools. I believe that’s changed. Like anywhere you’d move if you’re using the public school system, you want to have a handle on who goes to what school.

I’m also disappointed that this thread is three pages and there hasn’t been one “Easton is the new Brockton” joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts