Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,141 times

Advertisements

This article popped up in my feed: https://fortune.com/2022/05/20/these...e-prices-drop/

Looking at the interactive map it looks like most of MA has a medium chance of having a home price correction.

I thought it could be good food for discussion. I’m not one to rely on Fortune though. I mean they did put Elizabeth Holmes on the map after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 02:00 PM

129 posts, read 108,422 times
Anecdotally, the market seems to be softening. Homes seem to be sitting longer, been seeing more price cuts of existing listings, etc. Definitely not a buyers market or anything but some air seems to have come out.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:33 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Only time will tell what will happen. Keep in mind though, we're coming out of one of the most seller favorable real estate markets in history spurred on by some of the lowest mortgage rates in history. So if the market softens or rates go up, we're still possibly in a seller's market with historically low rates.

I remember when i bought my first home about 20 years ago, I was paying a 6.5% mortgage rate and I was very happy about it.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:41 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

I remember when i bought my first home about 20 years ago, I was paying a 6.5% mortgage rate and I was very happy about it.
Yeah, when we bought our first house, our rate was about 7.5% and everyone said that was a historically low rate and how great that was and it'll only go up. Then our next house we had a 5.5% rate and everyone said the same thing again. Then in our current house, we got like a 3.5% rate. I feel lucky to have that rate, but even if the rates go back up to 5, 6 or even 7%, those are still historically reasonable rates.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:54 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,677,969 times
The rates are good, it's the prices in many markets that are not reasonable right now.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:54 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The rates are good, it's the prices in many markets that are not reasonable right now.
When I think about "affordability" I don't just focus on the mortgage rates or the real estate values. The majority of people live in their monthly payment. So, I consider both. Just focusing on the assessed value and ignoring the local RE tax rate when you're talking about RE taxes would be the same thing.

Anyway, the levels of demand that we're still seeing in the market right now despite a large increase in mortgage rates over a very short time period tell me that housing is still affordable for a lot of people.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:20 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Values depend on who is buying and when they are buying and a general expectations. Housing isn't not one-size-fits-all.

Obviously a single parent with three or more kids is not going to be living in a one-bedroom apartment. Having said that though it gets a little bit harder to gauge prices when we start parking say over $1000000. Back in the day people on the maximize well by buying a bigger house but as everything has been progressively shrinking in terms of what you need for entertainment and music it adds up. It's also much easier to buy things is so much in the way of shopping is online so reasons to live in a given area have just been lessened then add in telecommuting had a really changes.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:03 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,129,329 times
Quote:
Anyway, the levels of demand that we're still seeing in the market right now despite a large increase in mortgage rates over a very short time period tell me that housing is still affordable for a lot of people.
I am curious about how many buyers over the last couple of years are investors. What's the % in your experience?

Old 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
When I think about "affordability" I don't just focus on the mortgage rates or the real estate values. The majority of people live in their monthly payment. So, I consider both. Just focusing on the assessed value and ignoring the local RE tax rate when you're talking about RE taxes would be the same thing.

I guess the other way of looking at it is that with the historically low amount of inventory, only higher income buyers are participating in the market. With the spike in building cost and the labor shortage, it’s not like there’s going to be affordable new construction. Around me, people are remodeling and doing additions instead of trading up.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:21 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times
I’ve noticed a lot of people doing remodeling and additions as well. From what I understand those are very pricey as well. I’m not sure that they are any less expensive than buying a new home in the end particularly if you aren’t a first time home buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts