Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 10,706 times

Advertisements

I just moved in today to room in Beacon St, Brookline. To my surprise, they don't allow overnight street parking. I called two numbers who offer private parking and they are asking $500-600/month!
I don't need my car for the time being. I'm only here for a month and half until I find a permanent place in the suburb. Is there an affordable parking lot/garage anywhere in Brookline, Arlington or nearby areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 05:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,792,854 times
Riverside T stop. Monthly parking is $105. Might want to check with them to make sure they are OK with leaving cars overnight.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:34 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,700,602 times
https://www.brooklinema.gov/1137/Res...rnight-Parking

Old 07-12-2022, 06:56 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,330,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The catch is one can't leave their car in these lots beyond overnight, so if the OP's intent is to leave his car he does not need parked somewhere for a month and a half this won't work. He'd have to move it to the street every day from 8 AM to 9 PM.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The catch is one can't leave their car in these lots beyond overnight, so if the OP's intent is to leave his car he does not need parked somewhere for a month and a half this won't work. He'd have to move it to the street every day from 8 AM to 9 PM.
It was presented as one option to potentially mitigate a problem, not as the perfect solution. Sometimes one needs to improvise. Ideally, the OP would have researched his parking needs before moving. Do you have anything to offer other than critical nay-saying?

Old 07-12-2022, 08:06 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,792,854 times
https://www.mbta.com/stops/Boat-Hingham

The Hingham Boat parking lot is only $35 and claims overnight. Be a lot less convenient in checking on your car compared to Riverside.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemcellguy View Post
I just moved in today to room in Beacon St, Brookline. To my surprise, they don't allow overnight street parking. I called two numbers who offer private parking and they are asking $500-600/month!
I don't need my car for the time being. I'm only here for a month and half until I find a permanent place in the suburb. Is there an affordable parking lot/garage anywhere in Brookline, Arlington or nearby areas?
As a last option you may want to park it on The Fenway, behind the Museum of Fine Arts or near Simmons College in Boston. This will give you the ability to leave the car for a couple weeks at a time before you need to move it for street cleaning, but otherwise there are sections of the road that do no require residency. Likewise, The Riverway near Wheelock/BU. You need to look at the signage carefully and move the car during street cleaning, but otherwise you can leave it overnight and then either walk or take the T to adjacent Brookline. Depending on where in Brookline, it could be very close or a bit of a hike.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:40 AM

12,925 posts, read 22,095,344 times
The Milton Park and Ride has come in handy for similar situations or for budget trips out of Logan. It's on Granite Avenue right off of I-93. It's free, and allows overnight parking. The web page doesn't say anything about time limits, but I believe I've seen either a 7 or 14 day max (maybe on signs in the lot). In any case, I wouldn't just dump it in the lot and forget about it for a month. It's a quick rideshare (walkable, even) to the North Quincy stop on the Red Line. It's definitely not as convenient as Riverside (which does allow overnight parking, but you'll want to check on how long they'll allow you to park without moving the car), but it could work as an alternative.

I know of a handful of streets in nearby Brighton that don't have permit requirements for on-street parking. Eastburn and Dartmouth St. (the Brighton Dartmouth St, not the South End/Back Bay Dartmouth St) are both open to anyone. I believe that neither of them have summer street sweeping restrictions either, but I'd double check. If you do end up trying street parking, just triple check the signage. It can be confusing, but if you're dropping your car off for weeks at a time and end up getting towed/stored for a week or more, it'll be a LOT more expensive than even the most expensive garage downtown.

Personally, if I were new to the area, I'd consider paying for Riverside worth it for the peace of mind (assuming you can leave it for more than a few days at a time). I probably would avoid street parking - just too many variables (confusing signs, likelihood of being dinged/bumped, street cleaning, etc.). I'd consider the Milton Park and Ride as a decent free alternative, but I would check on the car weekly (or see if you can confirm with someone that there's no limit on consecutive days).

Last edited by lrfox; 07-13-2022 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-13-2022, 10:14 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,330,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It was presented as one option to potentially mitigate a problem, not as the perfect solution. Sometimes one needs to improvise. Ideally, the OP would have researched his parking needs before moving. Do you have anything to offer other than critical nay-saying?
It's not a critical nay-say, it's clarifying the conditions that option requires one to do. Parking around here can be very confusing, and all of the pros/cons of an approach should be mentioned. Don't be so sensitive.

I'd have rather not mentioned this until I could confirm that availability, but since you're in a mood, I'll share with you my (silent) 'offer'. I have reached out privately to a couple Brookline residents whom I know that have extra off-street spots they have rented out before near Beacon (one near Coolidge Corner, the other near Washington Square) to see if there's any availability for the OP's situation. This may also allow the OP to secure a spot for an attractive rate as in one of the cases it's a tandem spot that's only used occasionally by one vehicle, so someone with no need for regular access to remove the vehicle becomes a good candidate for filling the interior spot.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
It's not a critical nay-say, it's clarifying the conditions that option requires one to do. Parking around here can be very confusing, and all of the pros/cons of an approach should be mentioned. Don't be so sensitive.
I can read the OP's post, and the OP can read the information at the link I provided. No clarification needed. The rest of your post has nothing to do with me, including your delusion that anything you post here has the ability to affect my "mood."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts