Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 06:01 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

Maybe in 20 years it will be worth 5 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 06:37 AM

531 posts, read 426,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
full disclosure, i live in arlington and i was certain that i overpaid for my house 6 years ago. guess i was wrong. crappy thing is that i can't upgrade in my own town, it makes no sense. lexington is my likely destination.
Jimbo,
Does Arlington not allow home remodels at all or is it more that it involves a ton of red tape to attempt a remodel, let alone get the approval?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:37 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,128,789 times
Do people have a problem with $1.4m with this house in particular or how expensive houses are all over? It's all relative...if a family wants to live as close to the city as possible but have a SFH, a yard, and a town with good schools, what are their options and prices?

I know of at least two family of fours that are living in the Seaport and sending kids to Catholic school as they refuse to move to the burbs.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Do people have a problem with $1.4m with this house in particular or how expensive houses are all over? It's all relative...if a family wants to live as close to the city as possible but have a SFH, a yard, and a town with good schools, what are their options and prices?

I know of at least two family of fours that are living in the Seaport and sending kids to Catholic school as they refuse to move to the burbs.
I think people don't often think in real dollars. This house went up in value a lot since 1999, but in real dollars its somewhere between 2.5-3x what it was in 1999, which is a far cry from the 4.5x it looks like on paper.

Same with wages. People bemoan the $15/hr sub shop (or whatever) person... but that's, in real dollars, what I was getting (more or less) working crappy jobs in the late 80s.

Sure, prices are nuts, but Boston has really boomed over the last 30 years since this was last sold, and this is an absolutely fantastic location, IMO.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think people don't often think in real dollars. This house went up in value a lot since 1999, but in real dollars its somewhere between 2.5-3x what it was in 1999, which is a far cry from the 4.5x it looks like on paper.

Same with wages. People bemoan the $15/hr sub shop (or whatever) person... but that's, in real dollars, what I was getting (more or less) working crappy jobs in the late 80s.

Sure, prices are nuts, but Boston has really boomed over the last 30 years since this was last sold, and this is an absolutely fantastic location, IMO.
Yep, and although that amount of real return is still incredible, it assumes the prior owners put in $0 over the years.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:17 AM

604 posts, read 562,562 times
Something that I think adds a lot of appeal is the fact that thanks to GrubHub/UberEats etc, a house in this part of Arlington can easily order delivery from any of the amazing restaurants in Cambridge/Somerville.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:41 AM

145 posts, read 189,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
meh...couples are pulling in $300-400K a year these days. If you are and it's where you want to live, I say go for it.
Sad thing is in the Greater Boston area 300-400k HHI isn't even that much money. Especially if you have childcare expenses and are a first-time home buyer in this market, in my opinion 1.4M is out of budget for a 300k income (assuming 20% down payment). 400k you could maybe swing it, but you're looking at a PITI of ~8k which is on the far end of comfortable.

Maybe if both spouses are highly confident that their incomes will never go down then 8k/mo becomes an easier pill to swallow. But it gives basically no breathing room for either spouse to end up in an even slightly lower paying job in the future.

Then again, with how much money the Fed has printed over the past couple years, maybe incomes only go up from here as the dollar's purchasing power continues to sink..

Old 07-26-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingotherthings View Post
Sad thing is in the Greater Boston area 300-400k HHI isn't even that much money. Especially if you have childcare expenses and are a first-time home buyer in this market, in my opinion 1.4M is out of budget for a 300k income (assuming 20% down payment). 400k you could maybe swing it, but you're looking at a PITI of ~8k which is on the far end of comfortable.

Maybe if both spouses are highly confident that their incomes will never go down then 8k/mo becomes an easier pill to swallow. But it gives basically no breathing room for either spouse to end up in an even slightly lower paying job in the future.

Then again, with how much money the Fed has printed over the past couple years, maybe incomes only go up from here as the dollar's purchasing power continues to sink..
For this house in particular, the down payment was 30%. You think $8k/month in PITI is tight for a household on $300k? What's your math here? We must have different spending habits.

Last edited by simplexsimon; 07-26-2022 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-26-2022, 08:25 AM

113 posts, read 154,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Jimbo,
Does Arlington not allow home remodels at all or is it more that it involves a ton of red tape to attempt a remodel, let alone get the approval?
i've had basic work done on my house, and there are always gut renos and expansions going on when you drive around. it must be easy enough to do these.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:32 AM

113 posts, read 154,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
For this house in particular, the down payment was 30%. You think $8k/month in PITI is tight for a household on $300k? What's your math here? We must have different spending habits.

not addressed to me, but thought i'd chime in. our household income is something like $360k. our piti is about $3200. i would be rather uncomfortable going up to $8k. doesn't leave enough leeway for investing (maxing out a 401k, $1800/month in 529 plans, and taxable investing), child care (which cost me $3k/month back when my kids were little), and general flexibility. we can run our house, rather comfortably, on only one income. i'm thinking of retiring at 50something. $8k/month piti would cost me and my family a hell of a lot of comfort and security. just my $0.02. others will obviously have a different view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts