Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:40 AM

858 posts, read 682,087 times

Advertisements

Nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay.
If the rich and investment companies are willing to overpay for real estate as an investment, then just like all investments there is the risk that their values will someday fall.

I am hoping that all this craziness will drive buyers to lower cost and previously overlooked neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay.
If the rich and investment companies are willing to overpay for real estate as an investment, then just like all investments there is the risk that their values will someday fall.

I am hoping that all this craziness will drive buyers to lower cost and previously overlooked neighborhoods.
I'm not sure that it is? seems like people are mainly focusing on the desirable neighborhoods paying through the nose for them.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 AM

113 posts, read 154,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
that's how arlington got to be stupid expensive.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:49 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
that's how arlington got to be stupid expensive.
Exactly!

I do wonder why i place like Winthrop isn't more desirable? I mean it's close to Boston as far as i can see...

Old 07-26-2022, 09:52 AM

113 posts, read 154,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I do wonder why i place like Winthrop isn't more desirable? I mean it's close to Boston as far as i can see...
somerville, cambridge, arlington medford, melrose, watertown, waltham... every single town inside of 128 has the same fate at these once-humble towns. it all comes down to supply and demand.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:58 AM

145 posts, read 189,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
For this house in particular, the down payment was 30%. You think $8k/month in PITI is tight for a household on $300k? What's your math here? We must have different spending habits.
I can tell you our math because we have a young child, are planning to have a second, and are looking for a house right now so budget is always top of mind .

430k HHI split pretty evenly between me and the wife; about 370k base salary and 60k in bonus and stocks. From our base salaries, gross monthly take-home is about 30k, net is 17k.

After all expenses our monthly leftover cash is about 5k. A big reason for that is childcare, which is super expensive, and if we have a second child we'll need to plan for several more years of it. But I don't think our lifestyle is extravagant in any way.

Currently paying 3500 in rent, so if we were facing a PITI of 8k then we'd only be stashing 500/mo. That is why it feels tight to me.

Now, you could point out that our net pay already deducts retirement contributions, and that childcare costs won't be this high forever (about 4k/mo right now), and that I haven't included the bonus and stocks in our take-home pay (which, while very likely to materialize, are not quite guaranteed). All true.

If I were to spread out the full amount of bonus and stocks as average monthly income then leftover cash would be about 7800/mo currently, or 3300/mo against an 8K PITI. I guess it looks a bit better from that perspective, but still not a ton of breathing room. Also have to budget for home maintenance.

I suppose I'm also somewhat risk-averse. I'd prefer to allow for the possibility that either of us, for one reason or another, end up in a job paying, say, 70-80% of our current salaries. It'd be nice to not feel like that would sink us on the house payments. Maybe others don't think this way.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:02 AM

If you're paying $3500 a month to rent I'm curious as to why you're willing to pay $7800 a month to own?

It used to be that people paid less on owning a home than on renting.

Is owning a home and paying that much more for it really worth it?

Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingotherthings View Post
I can tell you our math because we have a young child, are planning to have a second, and are looking for a house right now so budget is always top of mind .

430k HHI split pretty evenly between me and the wife; about 370k base salary and 60k in bonus and stocks. From our base salaries, gross monthly take-home is about 30k, net is 17k.

After all expenses our monthly leftover cash is about 5k. A big reason for that is childcare, which is super expensive, and if we have a second child we'll need to plan for several more years of it. But I don't think our lifestyle is extravagant in any way.

Currently paying 3500 in rent, so if we were facing a PITI of 8k then we'd only be stashing 500/mo. That is why it feels tight to me.

Now, you could point out that our net pay already deducts retirement contributions, and that childcare costs won't be this high forever (about 4k/mo right now), and that I haven't included the bonus and stocks in our take-home pay (which, while very likely to materialize, are not quite guaranteed). All true.

If I were to spread out the full amount of bonus and stocks as average monthly income then leftover cash would be about 7800/mo currently, or 3300/mo against an 8K PITI. I guess it looks a bit better from that perspective, but still not a ton of breathing room. Also have to budget for home maintenance.

I suppose I'm also somewhat risk-averse. I'd prefer to allow for the possibility that either of us, for one reason or another, end up in a job paying, say, 70-80% of our current salaries. It'd be nice to not feel like that would sink us on the house payments. Maybe others don't think this way.
So $40k/year in excess cash after bonuses, after the big mortgage, and after daycare.

One of you could take an almost 80% pay cut ($40k cut on $200k) and you’d still be within budget and you still have levers like retirement savings to pull if needed. Survive the daycare period and you’re that much further along.

Believe me I’m all about strong personal finances but my question is is your risk aversion costing you anything? I’m not trying to make you spend money, but hope you see the numbers objectively as you’ve laid out.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:23 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Spending $500 on rent is untenable if you invest all but $400 of your income. If you take home $400 and invest $0, most would say you can't afford $500 rent. If you take home $4000 and invest $3600, most wouldn't say you can't afford the rent, just that you are choosing to use that money elsewhere.

Someone with a $300k income can likely afford this mortgage. Whether you would make the same choices is just your own projection.
I also didn't say they can't afford it; I said it would be untenable for them.

I do get what you're saying, but many who've worked into that income bracket aren't going to extend themselves to the brink unless they have to. They're going to look at something that would smack them to the tune of 30% PITI and either decide to increase the down payment or pass. Cutting back on retirement is a last resort, reducing HSA contributions is a non-starter, and things like daycare aren't really negotiable in the budget.

It seems I'm looking at this the same way thinkingofotherthings is.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:36 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I also didn't say they can't afford it; I said it would be untenable for them.

I do get what you're saying, but many who've worked into that income bracket aren't going to extend themselves to the brink unless they have to. They're going to look at something that would smack them to the tune of 30% PITI and either decide to increase the down payment or pass. Cutting back on retirement is a last resort, reducing HSA contributions is a non-starter, and things like daycare aren't really negotiable in the budget.

It seems I'm looking at this the same way thinkingofotherthings is.
I mean, you've made up an income and a budget and decided it was untenable. It absolutely is doable with the budget you've made, just not in a way you would feel comfortable with. I have to admit I wouldn't feel all that comfortable at $8k PITI, but if forced I could definitely make it work.

My concern with that level of housing cost isn't so much the monthly budget but the ability to withstand long stretches of temporary un- or under- employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts