Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:27 AM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
about 30 min drive northwest of downtown.

you say it's trending upward?

what is the purpose of the masks at this point genuinely curious

Covid went through my old office twice in 2 months (as in folks got it, recovered, and then got it again in a 2 month span), blowing any sense of immunity out the window. I only avoided it because I resumed masking in my office and stopped taking in-person meetings if they couldn't be outside.

There's a lot of concern that multiple exposures to covid leads toward greater risk for long covid. Throwing on a mask is a minor deal to save potentially months of illness and tens of thousands of dollars in health care needs and lost productivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 10:29 AM

23,692 posts, read 18,806,710 times
In 2021, Massachusetts had the highest per capita GDP of all 50 states. If it was its own country, we would be up there among the top few in the world. That there are 3rd world cities that blow our infrastructure away, and we continue to prop up Charlie Baker as the nation's most popular governor...says a lot about us as people that's not so flattering.

I am somewhat impressed, however, that we have managed to hold off on the usual excuses (OH BUT THE ROAD SALT!) for now anyway.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:39 AM

181 posts, read 125,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Covid went through my old office twice in 2 months (as in folks got it, recovered, and then got it again in a 2 month span), blowing any sense of immunity out the window. I only avoided it because I resumed masking in my office and stopped taking in-person meetings if they couldn't be outside.

There's a lot of concern that multiple exposures to covid leads toward greater risk for long covid. Throwing on a mask is a minor deal to save potentially months of illness and tens of thousands of dollars in health care needs and lost productivity.

good to know! i'm not sure i ever got it tbh, thankfully i haven't been sick since before the whole covid business started.

i do have some friends that get sick fairly regularly tho, so i think it might just depend on the immune system.

i don't think i could put a mask on every time i'm in a public space that seems like a lot to me, but different strokes!

Old 07-28-2022, 10:45 AM

23,692 posts, read 18,806,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That there are 3rd world cities that blow our infrastructure away, and we continue to prop up Charlie Baker as the nation's most popular governor...says a lot about us as people that's not so flattering.

And I didn't lie.

Charlie the Faker is still at #1!

https://247wallst.com/special-report...-governors/11/

So we give him the #1, he returns it back (only with a different finger). Good job m*****holes.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:08 PM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
good to know! i'm not sure i ever got it tbh, thankfully i haven't been sick since before the whole covid business started.

i do have some friends that get sick fairly regularly tho, so i think it might just depend on the immune system.

i don't think i could put a mask on every time i'm in a public space that seems like a lot to me, but different strokes!

We have different definitions of "a lot", though my previous iteration of "a lot" to preserve my health involved 2 bone marrow biopsies (they can't numb bone), 5 hours of chemo every other week, and at least 4 different doctors appointments a week for close to a year.

Grabbing a mask out of my purse before I walk into a building is less onerous than putting on a bra in the morning. What friends with long covid express about their symptoms sounds a lot like what I experienced during and in the years following chemo and I would do anything to avoid experiencing that again!

Old 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM

1,053 posts, read 695,113 times
About the masks...

We still have a mask mandate back in Malaysia. Up until March of this year, we were actually required to wear them outdoors and indoors. Thankfully now it's just indoors.

Still, I hate wearing them and I'm pretty much done with it. However, I think people should make their own choices and I won't judge either way.

I'm happy to be back here where I don't have to wear one. It's still weird to be entering a store thinking I need to wear one and then realizing I don't.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:09 PM

16,519 posts, read 8,299,497 times
It's weird that in some places you are asked to to put them on and in most places you don't. I went to the salon two weeks ago, got my hair done, was sitting in a chair for 2 hours, no mask rules.

yesterday I went to the dentist and had to put on a mask when i walked in the door. I had it on for about 40 seconds until i sat in the chair then my mouth was open for like the next hour with people digging in there. Also walked into another room mask-less to get an xray.

The 'rules' don't make a lot of sense. I'm not look to argue or cause controversy but it's how i feel. Lots of inconsistency. If someone wants to put their mask on wherever they go that's fine.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:29 PM

1,053 posts, read 695,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's weird that in some places you are asked to to put them on and in most places you don't. I went to the salon two weeks ago, got my hair done, was sitting in a chair for 2 hours, no mask rules.

yesterday I went to the dentist and had to put on a mask when i walked in the door. I had it on for about 40 seconds until i sat in the chair then my mouth was open for like the next hour with people digging in there. Also walked into another room mask-less to get an xray.

The 'rules' don't make a lot of sense. I'm not look to argue or cause controversy but it's how i feel. Lots of inconsistency. If someone wants to put their mask on wherever they go that's fine.
Yup. Or when we walk into a restaurant with a mask on, spend 2 hours eating and talking with our masks off, then put them on again as we leave. It's all very arbitrary.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:28 PM

26,661 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Quote:

A few months ago at my dentist's office he said nobody has to wear masks in there now because he has a ventilation system. I didn't get time to ask more about it but I wore the mask in the waiting room and when he said c'mon in, I gladly took it off.

Maybe your dentist has installed ventilation too. They don't want to go out of business and they don't want to get covid. If the dentist owns his own business he can control things like installing a ventilation system, whereas a hospital doesn't give individual doctors that option.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:34 PM

26,661 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Quote:

A few months ago at my dentist's office he said nobody has to wear masks in there now because he has a ventilation system. I didn't get time to ask more about it but I wore the mask in the waiting room and when he said c'mon in, I gladly took it off.

Maybe your dentist has installed ventilation too. They don't want to go out of business and they don't want to get covid. If the dentist owns his own business he can control things like installing a ventilation system, whereas a hospital doesn't give individual doctors that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts