Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:31 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Curious if anybody here actually refers/referred to exits by their numbers? I just didn't think it was common in Mass.. I mean I can probably name off every exit along the expressway, 128, 95, 24, Mass Pike, 495 etc. with my blindfolders on, but could not tell you a single number (before or after the change). I think the only exit "number" I ever knew was "Exit 5" because I had an out of stay coworker who "lived by exit 5", not "I live in Plainville". Must be a Jersey thing lol.

Also, a GPS should read you the road as well ("In one mile, take exit 14, Columbia Rd."), so it's not like you would be left clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 09:45 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Curious if anybody here actually refers/referred to exits by their numbers? I just didn't think it was common in Mass.. I mean I can probably name off every exit along the expressway, 128, 95, 24, Mass Pike, 495 etc. with my blindfolders on, but could not tell you a single number (before or after the change). I think the only exit "number" I ever knew was "Exit 5" because I had an out of stay coworker who "lived by exit 5", not "I live in Plainville". Must be a Jersey thing lol.

Also, a GPS should read you the road as well ("In one mile, take exit 14, Columbia Rd."), so it's not like you would be left clueless.
Depends. Growing up off of Route 24 I got pretty used to using them regularly -- "Yeah... the Shaw's off of Exit 8" or "Meet me at the Emma's just off of exit 15." Outside of Route 24, we referred to them quite a bit on Route 6 on the Cape. For exits with key routes, I think they could be referred to interchangeably ("Exit 13" "The Route 44 Exit"), but I mostly grew up using the exit numbers on the highways I regularly drove in MA (even 93 in/around Boston). I could tell you where most of the (old) exit numbers on 24, 6, 93, or the southern half of 495 are.

I haven't paid any attention to the new exit numbers. For the most part, I'm driving by sight/memory in Eastern MA. And like you said, when it is unfamiliar terrain, the GPS still tells me the name of the road, tells me when to exit, and shows it on the display. Admittedly, there is one area I'm struggling a bit. I have to punch in an address for anything off of the old Exit 17, 18, and 19 on Route 24. Coming from the North, they all look similar to me and without the old numbers featured prominently, I feel like I might miss them. So I can see how the new numbers could throw some people for a loop.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I haven't paid any attention to the new exit numbers. For the most part, I'm driving by sight/memory in Eastern MA. And like you said, when it is unfamiliar terrain, the GPS still tells me the name of the road, tells me when to exit, and shows it on the display. Admittedly, there is one area I'm struggling a bit. I have to punch in an address for anything off of the old Exit 17, 18, and 19 on Route 24. Coming from the North, they all look similar to me and without the old numbers featured prominently, I feel like I might miss them. So I can see how the new numbers could throw some people for a loop.

OK. You see, I just had to look those up LOL. My thing is that while they do look somewhat similar...although TBH I've driven up and down there so many times that I probably don't even need the signs ("OK there's BJ's on the right/Jordan's and IKEA on the left, therefore I need to take the next exit to get 139 into Randolph"); Rte. 139 is 139, Harrison Blvd. is Harrison Blvd., and Rte. 27 is Rte. 27 if I'm going somewhere my memory. If I'm following my GPS to an unfamiliar location, I will just follow the "take next exit" and follow the arrows on the screen (still paying more attention to the "Rte. 139 East" part more than the "exit whatever" that can often be more confusing to obey with multiple exits close together and "#a, #b. #c, etc.).

Old 08-25-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
OK. You see, I just had to look those up LOL. My thing is that while they do look somewhat similar...although TBH I've driven up and down there so many times that I probably don't even need the signs ("OK there's BJ's on the right/Jordan's and IKEA on the left, therefore I need to take the next exit to get 139 into Randolph"); Rte. 139 is 139, Harrison Blvd. is Harrison Blvd., and Rte. 27 is Rte. 27 if I'm going somewhere my memory. If I'm following my GPS to an unfamiliar location, I will just follow the "take next exit" and follow the arrows on the screen (still paying more attention to the "Rte. 139 East" part more than the "exit whatever" that can often be more confusing to obey with multiple exits close together and "#a, #b. #c, etc.).
All of this makes perfect sense. And while I think I could manage those exits by memory anyway, the numbers were my primary point of reference for that stretch and I just need to put in the effort to adjust. The GPS is more of a crutch than a necessity. But yeah, I'm not listening for exit numbers on the GPS either (especially the A/B/C type exits) - just turn where it shows you to turn.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
All of this makes perfect sense. And while I think I could manage those exits by memory anyway, the numbers were my primary point of reference for that stretch and I just need to put in the effort to adjust. The GPS is more of a crutch than a necessity. But yeah, I'm not listening for exit numbers on the GPS either (especially the A/B/C type exits) - just turn where it shows you to turn.

I will say that since returning to the area with all its traffic, I'll pretty much have my Waze on non-stop for anything outside say a 10 minute radius of home. Life is too short to be sitting in extra traffic that could have been avoided, might as well use the technology if it's available.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I will say that since returning to the area with all its traffic, I'll pretty much have my Waze on non-stop for anything outside say a 10 minute radius of home. Life is too short to be sitting in extra traffic that could have been avoided, might as well use the technology if it's available.
Me too. And I've paid the price on several occasions when I haven't used it. I also just check Google Maps with traffic before I head out beyond the immediate local area too. There's really no "safe" time or route anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts