Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 08:57 AM

432 posts, read 414,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Roughly along and within I-495
Thanks.
I would like to see them include commuter rail communities. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 09:04 AM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Thanks.
I would like to see them include commuter rail communities. Oh well.

Eh, I just can't see bougie Boston Magazine accepting the Attleboros and Leominsters of the world.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:10 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Always kills me when I see districts move up and down 10s of spots YoY.

Who knew places like Maynard or Billerica has a superior district compared to Duxbury, Lynnfield, and Reading!!! Or that Foxborough High School offers a better education than Belmont High School!

In all seriousness, though, test scores mirror income. It's that simple on a macro level.

The more important measurement of a school districts "excellence" should be: How well are lower income/disadvantaged kids progressing through the district, and whether or not their growth is on pace vs. other students inside and outside the district.

This breaks down both test scores and equitability: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-compares.html

Old 09-10-2022, 04:45 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Wealthy districts with resources often get top billing. It can show what sacrifices people make to live in those communities so their kids can get a top notch public education.
And so Quincy High beats Milton High by several spots?

Old 09-10-2022, 06:35 AM

181 posts, read 124,049 times
lol some of these rankings are making people BIG mad

people stretched to live in milton/reading/lynnfield/chelmsford/duxbury for their kids to go to "good schools" when they could be living comfortably in billerica/north reading/foxborough

they fell for it

Old 09-10-2022, 08:21 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post

people stretched to live in milton/reading/lynnfield/chelmsford/duxbury for their kids to go to "good schools" when they could be living comfortably in billerica/north reading/foxborough

they fell for it
Is Billerica cheaper than Chelmsford? The prices look similar to me. I wonder if the new high school helped their ranking.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:27 AM

181 posts, read 124,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Is Billerica cheaper than Chelmsford? The prices look similar to me. I wonder if the new high school helped their ranking.

ya i suppose chelmsford and billerica are pretty similar in price at this point. i don't think it used to be that way (?). chelmsford is further out tho, so all else equal, many folks are paying with a terrible commute for what they thought was a better school.

i'm sure the new high school helped a little, it looks like a private school, but it was only opened in 2019. if anything the effects are yet to be felt. seems to me like younger families with kids who are not yet high school aged would be drawn by the new high school, and so the improvement in test scores etc would take place later.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:32 AM

560 posts, read 751,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post

they fell for it
When was the last time you looked at North Reading prices? big boom in the last 18 months. With mega high taxes ($15 per $1000).

Old 09-10-2022, 11:03 AM

845 posts, read 552,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Why is Lexington 16? They are perennially a top 3 school district.
If you look at the column "SAT scores math", Lexington high is by far the best, and that matters the most to Asian parents whose kids take half the seats.

Last edited by MtPleasantDream; 09-10-2022 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-10-2022, 11:51 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Chelmsford was always considered a premium town over Rica, and was kind of a mainstay middle/middle upper class suburb during the 60s/70s boom. At that point, as I've been told, many suburbanites who couldn't afford places like Winchester, or Concord, or Lexington, looked at towns like Andover and Chelmsford for new homes and good schools.

But post recession, prices are nearly identical. Billerica has the commuter, and saves 15-20 minutes on commute time to Burlington/Woburn/Waltham where many of the jobs fall.

Chelmsford's most apt comparison in 2022 would be Franklin.. Chelmsford being slightly more expensive due to location.

Funny, as both Franklin and Chelmsford high school ranks well below many of its peer towns. Not sure why that is, especially considering Franklin's new High School... If it gives Billerica a bump, the same would apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts