Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 04:19 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
the dump in wellesley is state of the art. go there on a saturday and pretty much half the town in there.
I don't know about anyone else, but my trash barrel is gross and smells like trash. I don't want that stench in my SUV! Sometimes the cheap trash bags leak goop and it takes weeks to evaporate from the barrel. Before the drought, at least the rain washed it out. I didn't want to dump it in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 08:26 PM

852 posts, read 554,706 times
Septic tank, oil heating and self trash delivery are three big no's for me.
However many affluent communities have them all.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:34 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Same! A place like Fitchburg has sewer, gas lines and trash pickup. I was shocked to learn that some towns with million dollar homes didn't!

Old 09-17-2022, 08:45 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
the dump in wellesley is state of the art. go there on a saturday and pretty much half the town in there.

It’s still a dump and it still stinks, even in Wellesley…lol

Old 09-18-2022, 05:36 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I have been to the dump in my town and it didn't stink. Whoever runs it seems to know what they're doing as far as that goes. The majority of trash we have is mainly recyclable things like boxes and containers that food came in. We wash those out before tossing them. I've had times where I had to throw food away but it's rare. If people have leaking trash then they should figure out how to dispose of it better.

People don't put the trash cans in their cars. Just the bags. We're neat people. Again there's the option to pay monthly to have a trash truck come to collect your trash for those too delicate to take their own trash to the dump. It literally takes my husband about 15 min once a week.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:38 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Anon

Quote:
We do have septic and sometimes I miss having a garbage disposal. No oil though.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:51 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
You forgot private wells. Some towns don't have town water and maintaining your own well can be a pain.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:12 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You forgot private wells. Some towns don't have town water and maintaining your own well can be a pain.
That sounds terrible. So in these 'affluent' towns what is being provided by the local government? If homeowners are getting well water, using septic for sewer, oil heat, and can't even rely on trash pickup, it sounds like a raw deal UNLESS property taxes are on the lower side? A city person like me would be relying on services like oil delivery, and trash pickup not to mention the larger capital expenses related to a new septic or well maintenance.

Also, how does one find out about the town-provided services? I have had to look at the town website and hunt around for this information. If there is a report or chart available for communities in the Greater Boston area, I would appreciate being able to see this information so that I can cross those towns off my list

Old 09-20-2022, 02:45 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
You can usually get that most of that information from individual real estate listings. Maybe not the trash situation.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:03 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Oil heating is not that big a deal, having lived with it for going on 15 yrs now. The other 2 criteria, fully agree, along with no well water please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts