Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 09:57 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Is it really shameful? Give me a break. What is shameful about it? They came here on their own. What did they think would happen? They're in a sanctuary state and will likely be moved out of MV. Would have been funnier if they had been shipped to Nantucket.

People ARE tired of these folks becoming the problem of the US.

There are too many people in MA as it is.
Why would it have been funnier if they went to Nantucket? I remember the immigration raid on Nantucket where the locals were cheering as the ferry pulled away full of illegals. Deval Patrick was upset, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 09:58 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Be subject to the rule of law. Not treated like cattle.

Not: hey you 50 asylum seekers awaiting your hearing, get on this plane or we'll shoot you. we're shipping you to an island with no one on it.
again give me a break. If i go to another country I'm expected to find my own way.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:59 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I guess they would have some kind of temporary status pending asylum claims hearings. Given that they appear to be Venuzuelan, they stand a decent chance of being allowed to stay. At least a lot of Venuzuelans speak English enough so they can be employed and won't become a burden to the taxpayers.

OK but if that were the case, they would have been "free" until their hearing. Unless the state offered free transportation to Mass. and they voluntarily went. Kind of like how some colder states pay for Greyhound tickets to send their homeless to warmer weather states.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:00 AM

Default anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK but if that were the case, they would have been "free" until their hearing. Unless the state offered free transportation to Mass. and they voluntarily went. Kind of like how some colder states pay for Greyhound tickets to send their homeless to warmer weather states.
exactly. That's what these people are when they get here. Homeless.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:06 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yes, they are free. And the bus rides don't cost them anything. They weren't forced on the bus or the plane.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:09 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, they are free. And the bus rides don't cost them anything. They weren't forced on the bus or the plane.

As long as they were told the truth about where they were going, I see no problem at all. A publicity stunt perhaps, but a non-story and the media's fault for turning it into one.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:11 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
again give me a break. If i go to another country I'm expected to find my own way.
"Finding your own way" is one thing. Being flown 1,500 miles to a remote location that was not warned or prepared for your arrival as part of one individual's political game is an entirely different thing. The left desperately needs to get its act together on immigration and the Southern Border, but this nonsense that DeSantis, Abbott, and others are engaging in is pretty awful. At least NYC, DC, Boston, etc. are major cities with the resources needed to support the influx of these migrants and put their "sanctuary city" money where their mouths are. Flying them to Martha's Vineyard is just so DeSantis can make a very public show of "sticking it to the liberal elites." It's a trash move.

Last edited by lrfox; 09-15-2022 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-15-2022, 10:13 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
they cant find their own way if you ship them to an island they had no intention of going to. Use a smidge of logic if you have no compassion.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:14 AM

maybe some of them would like to stay on MV. It's an upscale island off the coast of MA. It's not like it's Detroit or Ferguson, MO.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
"Finding your own way" is one thing. Being flown 1,500 miles to a remote location that was not warned or prepared for your arrival as part of one individuals political game is an entirely different thing. The left desperately needs to get its act together on immigration and the Southern Border, but this nonsense that DeSantis, Abbott, and others are engaging in pretty awful. At least NYC, DC, Boston, etc. are major cities with the resources needed to support the influx of these migrants and put their "sanctuary city" money where their mouths are. Flying them to Martha's Vineyard is just so DeSantis can make a very public show of "sticking it to the liberal elites." It's a trash move.
Very trash. Boston could've handled these folks without a blip the same way they did Haitians and Puerto Ricans after natural disasters. Ron DeSantis jsut wants to make a headline. That not leadership, it's shameful in its negligence and lack of consideration for the people of MV and the migrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts