Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 910 times

Advertisements

Looking for a bus or train commute 1 hour to South Station
House up to $800k
Want a very, very safe area
Restaurants/pubs within 10 minutes a plus to grab a burger and beer
A downtown area would also be a plus for shopping
No kids, so schools not a consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 07:04 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krmove View Post
House up to $800k
East Natick. Don't think you can get any closer without having to drop to a townhome or condo. Maybe also look at Norwood but Natick would be better if you later want to get a 128 job.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:20 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krmove View Post
House up to $800k
I'm going to be the unpopular poster on this thread and suggest Woburn. From where I live in west Woburn, I can be in South Station in <1 hr (350 bus to Alewife + MBTA Red Line). The only downside? The "downtown" (center), while it has some interesting dining, has a decidedly downmarket feel to it. But honestly, I live so close to Lexington and Winchester centers, that I usually end up there when I'm in the mood to stroll/browse shops!

Old 09-22-2022, 08:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Honestly, pretty much any commuter rail location that comes in to South Station is within an hour. There are exceptions, like west of Framingham, the end of the Franklin line, or beyond Attleboro, but there are lots of communities that bear consideration that meet your commute criteria. It will really depend on how much house and/or land you want for your $800K budget.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:16 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Honestly, pretty much any commuter rail location that comes in to South Station is within an hour. There are exceptions, like west of Framingham, the end of the Franklin line, or beyond Attleboro, but there are lots of communities that bear consideration that meet your commute criteria. It will really depend on how much house and/or land you want for your $800K budget.
I think this is a little misleading. The terminus of almost every line (Needham and Fairmount as well as the Stoughton and Foxboro spurs being the exceptions) into South Station is scheduled at an hour or just over an hour; and the scheduled times are typically pretty optimistic (Middleborough Lakeville never takes under an hour even though it's scheduled at 59 minutes). And that's just the train ride (on a good day) - the commute to/from the station also adds time.

OP, I'd look at the schedules here and factor in your drive time to the origin station, wait time for the train, and your transfer or walk time from South Station. When factoring in the above, I'd be skeptical that any train scheduled at more than 40 minutes from South Station is going to enable your complete commute to be under an hour.

Options might be kind of limited with an $800k budget and the 1 hour commute requirement. I like the Woburn suggestion apart from the fact you won't have the one seat ride to South Station. It might be the best bet. Mansfield might work too. Downtown Mansfield won't knock your socks off (not even as nice as Woburn), but the train station is right there, there are a handful of shops and restaurants, and there's been some real development in the area in recent years. It's close to shopping and dining and it's a safe community.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:53 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think this is a little misleading. The terminus of almost every line (Needham and Fairmount as well as the Stoughton and Foxboro spurs being the exceptions) into South Station is scheduled at an hour or just over an hour; and the scheduled times are typically pretty optimistic (Middleborough Lakeville never takes under an hour even though it's scheduled at 59 minutes). And that's just the train ride (on a good day) - the commute to/from the station also adds time.

OP, I'd look at the schedules here and factor in your drive time to the origin station, wait time for the train, and your transfer or walk time from South Station. When factoring in the above, I'd be skeptical that any train scheduled at more than 40 minutes from South Station is going to enable your complete commute to be under an hour.

Options might be kind of limited with an $800k budget and the 1 hour commute requirement. I like the Woburn suggestion apart from the fact you won't have the one seat ride to South Station. It might be the best bet. Mansfield might work too. Downtown Mansfield won't knock your socks off (not even as nice as Woburn), but the train station is right there, there are a handful of shops and restaurants, and there's been some real development in the area in recent years. It's close to shopping and dining and it's a safe community.
Well, the OP said "bus or train" so I took the liberty of assuming that a combo would be OK . Yeah, one seat ride? That's tougher.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:01 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Scituate (Greenbush Station) is a one hour commute (train) from South Station. Safe, coastal, has a downtown shopping area.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:16 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Depends on the time of day though.

when I took the 5:50am train from Worcester, the only delays were when we ran over a deer and when the train in front of us hit a guy. 99% of the time, we'd roll in at 7:06am.
when I would take the 7:00 train out of Worcester, there would be a delay just about every week!

The 5:50 train doesn't exist anymore, it's a 6:00 train now. IF you work on top of Back Bay or South Station and IF you live a block away from Union Station AND you time it perfect every day, that would be a 1:15 commute. I'd always leave home 20 minutes early, bike to the station, lock up and get a good seat, then walk 3-5 block: leaving home at 5:30 would get me to my desk by 7:15-ish.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:43 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quincy might be a good option - prices dropped quite a bit meaning $800K might actually get you a livable house.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Anywhere South and East of Weymouth.

Also, Sharon or Canton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts