Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Remove Proof of Citizenship or Immigration Status for Driver's License Applications Referendum
Yes 14 48.28%
No 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 02:17 AM

448 posts, read 282,616 times

Advertisements

Im not concerned with the voting part of this. Im more of safety on the roads, so give licenses to everyone, fine.

Im voting yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:42 AM

121 posts, read 242,538 times
How would getting driving license help with insurance? Don’t you need social security and some form of payment to get insurance?

Old 11-04-2022, 08:14 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka View Post
How would getting driving license help with insurance? Don’t you need social security and some form of payment to get insurance?
If you have a drivers license, you don't necessarily need a social security number in order to obtain insurance (there's no law requiring one). Most insurers will ask for it (they use it to check your credit which helps determine your rate), but it's not a requirement in order to be insured and you can get car insurance without a social security number. You'll probably pay a higher rate though. And yes, obviously you need to be able to pay for insurance.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:17 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
If you have a drivers license, you don't necessarily need a social security number in order to obtain insurance (there's no law requiring one). Most insurers will ask for it (they use it to check your credit which helps determine your rate), but it's not a requirement in order to be insured and you can get car insurance without a social security number. You'll probably pay a higher rate though. And yes, obviously you need to be able to pay for insurance.
Is anyone really naive enough to believe illegals will suddenly start start obeying laws and shell out $3-6K a year for insurance, because that's how much it would cost given the fact they're illegals with no documents and no driving record?

Old 11-04-2022, 09:12 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
When I first got my insurance here in MD they did not ask for a SSN. I actually got a quote over the phone and got insured that day.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:18 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
When I first got my insurance here in MD they did not ask for a SSN. I actually got a quote over the phone and got insured that day.
It's been so long since I registered, that I can't remember if I was asked. My sister-in-law is from NY. She didn't have to provide it there, but was asked for it in MA.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It's been so long since I registered, that I can't remember if I was asked. My sister-in-law is from NY. She didn't have to provide it there, but was asked for it in MA.
I'm sure you can dig around and find one that won't ask for your SSN. The idea of not licensing illegals just isnt logical to me.

Like- if you don't license them it seems clear that that is more dangerous to the general public than any other fear people have regarding illegal immigrants. It seems more likely that an illegal immigrant would be unlicensed, hit me and drive off than them stealing my job at an apple farm or knifing me in an alley.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:36 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Homie, there's zero chance illegals will suddenly start buying insurance that would be very expensive due to their lack of documents or verifiable driving record. This accomplished absolutely nothing other than inching them one step closer to the ballot box which is exactly what you want.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:12 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
but you dont need ins to get a dl. only to own a car. So.. anyone could drive someone else's car and not be insured. many ins cos do not insure a driver unless they are listed on the ins policy. nothing stops a friend etc from loaning out their car.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:32 PM

“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.“ Emma Lazarus, 1883

^sound familiar? Xenophobia is un-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts