Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,896 times

Advertisements

Assume a two person adult household in the Boston area, John and Jane Doe. Without knowing their specific employers, industries, office locations, or hybrid/telecommuting status, where is the optimal place for them to live for both their current commutes and any and all future commutes? What are the places to live that will minimize their commute times to as many major employment centers in the Greater Boston area as possible?

For the purposes of this discussion, ignore home costs, school systems, housing types, lifestyles, etc.

My initial thoughts are locations where public transit lines and highways intersect. So places in the city like the area around North Station, South Station, and Back Bay. Outside of the city, places like Woburn (intersection of 93/95, large commuter rail station) and Newton/Weston/Wellesley (95/Pike/Route 9 intersection, Green line and commuter rail stops).

What are some other locations that offer relatively easy commutes to many different employment centers in the metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 08:50 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Probably the Belmont/Arlington/Watertown area

Old 10-14-2022, 09:04 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times
It just gets worse after the places you listed.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:19 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
First, I want to say that this question is way too vague to get a high quality answer.

If you just want to know where is the absolute best commuting location in the Boston area then hands down the answer IMO is Newton. No other town/city is close except maybe living in Boston itself. Newton has commuter rail, express bus, and the green line as public transportation options. It's not as onerous to get to Cambridge from Newton compared to driving there from many other locations. If you want to drive into Boston then Newton does sit right on I90. So, driving in is a pretty easy proposition compared to other locations. Speaking of driving . . . Newton actually sits right on the intersection of I95/RT128 and I90/the MA Turnpike. So if future career changes bring you to Waltham, Lexington, Westborough, Bedford, Framingham, Natick, etc., etc., etc. you have the flexibility to get to all of them with basically equal convenience.

All this being said, I can't imagine that commute would the one and only factor in anyone's decision about where to live.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:50 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofathenry View Post
Assume a two person adult household in the Boston area, John and Jane Doe. Without knowing their specific employers, industries, office locations, or hybrid/telecommuting status, where is the optimal place for them to live for both their current commutes and any and all future commutes? What are the places to live that will minimize their commute times to as many major employment centers in the Greater Boston area as possible?

For the purposes of this discussion, ignore home costs, school systems, housing types, lifestyles, etc.

My initial thoughts are locations where public transit lines and highways intersect. So places in the city like the area around North Station, South Station, and Back Bay. Outside of the city, places like Woburn (intersection of 93/95, large commuter rail station) and Newton/Weston/Wellesley (95/Pike/Route 9 intersection, Green line and commuter rail stops).

What are some other locations that offer relatively easy commutes to many different employment centers in the metro area?
Impossible to answer without knowing specifics. Distances and commute times can be deceptively inaccurate from Google Maps, because they're so changeable.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Impossible to answer without knowing specifics. Distances and commute times can be deceptively inaccurate from Google Maps, because they're so changeable.
That's the point of my question though, I am asking in general terms. The shortest commute for a given person is always going to be based on their specific office location at the present moment in time. But what if you want to change employers next year? Suddenly your 10 minute commute to Kendall Square may be an hour plus commute to Needham. Repeat for your spouse who likely doesn't work in the same exact location as you do.

There are likely going to be a few locations that best balance short commutes between multiple employment centers (Downtown, Seaport, Kendall Square, 128 office parks, 495 office parks, etc.). I like the answer of Newton given already as the best spot overall.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:13 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
That's the point of my question though, I am asking in general terms. The shortest commute for a given person is always going to be based on their specific office location at the present moment in time. But what if you want to change employers next year? Suddenly your 10 minute commute to Kendall Square may be an hour plus commute to Needham. Repeat for your spouse who likely doesn't work in the same exact location as you do.

There are likely going to be a few locations that best balance short commutes between multiple employment centers (Downtown, Seaport, Kendall Square, 128 office parks, 495 office parks, etc.). I like the answer of Newton given already as the best spot overall.
I think Newton represents the best compromise, if you can afford it.

I personally like my location in west Woburn, just inside the 128 belt. I worked in a 495 facility for many years, and for me it was a reverse commute in the morning. On the other hand, I can be at Kendall Sq using public transport (bus, T) in 45 min.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
I moved to Lynnfield in 2005. Since then, I have worked in Boston, Merrimack, Billerica, Lexington and Cambridge. It's been a pretty good location.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:32 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
I like the answer of Newton given already as the best spot overall.
Thanks! I think Newton offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to commuting method (car or public transportation) plus close proximity to both Boston and Cambridge plus close proximity to multiple highways that can take you in all four directions. Also, it's pretty centrally located. I can't think of another town that offers all of this.

As others have said, Newton is very expensive. It does offer a variety of housing options that come in a variety of shapes and sizes and definitely there is a wide spectrum of pricing in town.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:40 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Remember Boston does not have an East side, only North, West, and South. I say Newton or Needham allows you to go in any direction. For a less expensive alternative I would throw Waltham in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts