Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 03:11 AM

12,530 posts, read 9,615,294 times

Advertisements

Just came across this -22F rated low temperature heat pump, from Cooper & Hunter - their "Hyper Heat Series", in a Consumer Reports discussion. Haven't found too much info out there yet, but this would beat Mistubishi and Fujitsu - who currently get the vast majority of installs in northern New England.

Example product page on a 36,000 BTU multi-zone unit:
https://cooperandhunter.us/product/ch-hpr36m-230vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6PXB12pGe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCZrBI3PFag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 09:29 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Awesome, thanks for putting up these links!

Old 10-26-2022, 05:33 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,744,698 times
When people say "heat pumps" are they the same as mini splits with heat pumps? Meaning you have to turn on each room's unit on individually? These are great in the summer but there probably won't one in the bathroom or a hallway to heat in the winter?

Old 10-26-2022, 06:15 AM

2,357 posts, read 1,789,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
but there probably won't one in the bathroom or a hallway to heat in the winter?
You could. It'd be more expensive than Natural Gas, but you could.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:26 AM

12,530 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
When people say "heat pumps" are they the same as mini splits with heat pumps? Meaning you have to turn on each room's unit on individually? These are great in the summer but there probably won't one in the bathroom or a hallway to heat in the winter?
Yes, these are mini-split heat pumps. Multi-zone outdoor units can have multiple indoor units driven by a single outdoor unit and each with individual thermostatic control. Typically the indoor units are only installed in the larger rooms - e.g. great room, kitchen and bedrooms. You could indeed put a small indoor unit in a bathroom - they make them formatted like a radiator for example - a small one might be nice under the bathroom window... though from what I have seen, they might still be oversized for a bathroom, at least in an efficient home. Some people just use an electrically heated floor or baseboard electric heat in the bathroom and then turn that on e.g. 20 mins before going in to shower in winter - that's not the most efficient, but you're only using it part time in a small space, so the electricity cost is insignificant.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-26-2022 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-27-2022, 07:53 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,314,501 times
It doesn’t have to be a mini-split. It could be conventional forced hot air ducting. It could also use a much more efficient ground loop hydronic system instead of air for the heat pump. There are also radiant systems where you heat the floor or use big panel baseboard radiators that require a 120f water-water heat pump.

My bathroom has a 120F PEX loop to heat the floor. If I had to do it over again, I would have done the whole house that way. Heat and domestic hot water from a hydronic heat pump. My mini split A/C system is quiet compared to window units but it’s still noisy compared to a forced hot water heating system which is silent.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:57 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,441,895 times
We're installing Mitsubishi Hyper Heat units (good to -13F) next year. I will have a total of 5 head units and one 48,000 BTU condenser.

Our goal is air conditioning but this will give me the option of heating with electric if it is less expensive than natural gas.

We converted to gas with a high efficiency condensing boiler 8 years ago, so I know what my typical annual consumption is. I figure I can go electric for the '23-'24 winter and see how the costs compare.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,812,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
We're installing Mitsubishi Hyper Heat units (good to -13F) next year. I will have a total of 5 head units and one 48,000 BTU condenser.
Whatever you do, put in a single zone system in your main living area. Whether that's the living room, great room, family room, whatever, put a properly sized single zone unit there. Then you can use the multi zone for all the other locations.

I have a 5 head 48k hyperheat as my primary heating system and it works great. Saves hundreds over the prior system. It is big time oversized for my cooling loads and it shows. Humidity control isn't great in some areas, and this would be greatly reduced or eliminated by installing a single zone or several of them as they are capable of ramping down to a much lower minimum btu to remove humidity.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:38 PM

2,357 posts, read 1,789,806 times
Quote:
Our goal is air conditioning but this will give me the option of heating with electric if it is less expensive than natural gas.
As I mentioned in the other thread, unless you have seriously cheap electricity (for MA), it's not going to be the case. You could probably figure it out if you had the amount of therms you used last winter and the cost of the therm versus what you are paying for electricity.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:35 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,744,698 times
Quote:

We converted to gas with a high efficiency condensing boiler 8 years ago, so I know what my typical annual consumption is. I figure I can go electric for the '23-'24 winter and see how the costs compare.
I find heating with mini splits to be expensive compared to gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: