Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 05:23 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times

Advertisements

La Nina may save us if we're lucky. But this is no way to be living.

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/envir...t-can-be-done/

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/new-...hortage-winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 07:44 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Except they won't build the infrastructure to pipe it in so they have to use LNG. Which is much more expensive. That's probably because they want to ban FF entirely... which is going to be awesome because I don't think people appreciate how much energy is needed for heat and for cars (which are basically portable heating machines).
So as I stated on another thread, I was for that pipeline. I get it, if you're going to rely on natural gas, you need natural gas. Another thing that's not always appreciated is, that there was jut as much opposition in New Hampshire as Massachusetts and a lot of the opposition came from landowners whose land the pipeline would run over, and their supporters, i.e. NIMBYs.

As Geoff has noted repeatedly, we also got screwed because there was a planned project to bring clean hydropower down from Canada, through Maine. Hydro Quebec would love to sell us that power, and we'd love to buy it. Central Maine Power was on board as the middleman and would profit themselves. But citizen opposition in Maine doomed the project through a 2020 voting referendum - NIMBYs win again. Earlier this year, the Maine Supreme court actually ruled that it was unconstitutional to kill the project with the referendum if the companies had already undertaken significant work in good faith. But the final decision will rest with a lower court as to whether that is the case, and a first ruling in October wasn't promising.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:52 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Gotta pay the green new troll toll!

Old 11-20-2022, 07:57 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
From your first link:
“ Many New England states have strong renewable goals in place, which could reduce electricity costs by thirteen percent over the next three decades and reduce the volatility associated with oil and gas dependence.[19]”

I find it funny that in 3 decades we “could” reduce “volatility” and “dependence” of FF by 13%.

Btw, didn’t they say that Russian oil/gas was less than 10% in the US overall supply?
Is the war in Ukraine just a scapegoat to raise profits?

Old 11-20-2022, 08:03 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
From your first link:
“ Many New England states have strong renewable goals in place, which could reduce electricity costs by thirteen percent over the next three decades and reduce the volatility associated with oil and gas dependence.[19]”

I find it funny that in 3 decades we “could” reduce “volatility” and “dependence” of FF prices by 13%.

Btw, didn’t they say that Russian oil/gas was less than 10% in the US overall supply?
Is the war in Ukraine just a scapegoat to raise profits?
“First we’ll raise the prices by 500% but I promise, we’ll give you a 10% discount off the new price!”

Old 11-20-2022, 09:27 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So as I stated on another thread, I was for that pipeline. I get it, if you're going to rely on natural gas, you need natural gas. Another thing that's not always appreciated is, that there was jut as much opposition in New Hampshire as Massachusetts and a lot of the opposition came from landowners whose land the pipeline would run over, and their supporters, i.e. NIMBYs.

As Geoff has noted repeatedly, we also got screwed because there was a planned project to bring clean hydropower down from Canada, through Maine. Hydro Quebec would love to sell us that power, and we'd love to buy it. Central Maine Power was on board as the middleman and would profit themselves. But citizen opposition in Maine doomed the project through a 2020 voting referendum - NIMBYs win again. Earlier this year, the Maine Supreme court actually ruled that it was unconstitutional to kill the project with the referendum if the companies had already undertaken significant work in good faith. But the final decision will rest with a lower court as to whether that is the case, and a first ruling in October wasn't promising.
This opposition to a pipeline running through NH was mostly due to the fact that NH wasn’t going to benefit from the pipeline. Same with the hydropower proposals in both NH and ME - neither state was going to get a benefit from it and neither wanted a giant clear cut slash through their states.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
This opposition to a pipeline running through NH was mostly due to the fact that NH wasn’t going to benefit from the pipeline. Same with the hydropower proposals in both NH and ME - neither state was going to get a benefit from it and neither wanted a giant clear cut slash through their states.
Right. So why would they want it? Unless you're paying so much $$ they can't say no, in which case the cost of the project would become so expensive that there wouldn't be much if any savings from it anyway.

That's of course if its treated as a for profit endeavor instead of a public infrastructure endeavor.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:42 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
I understand that - but at least in the past, gas and electricity have been able to move, roads have been built, etc., and I guarantee that not everyone was happy about it. If none of that is possible anymore because people just say "what's in it for me?" and are able to use that level of opposition to block projects that can help millions, we are ALL in big trouble. No way we could ever build the present interstate highway system today.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:52 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I can kind of understand why NH and ME wouldn't want something when it would only benefit MA

Old 11-20-2022, 09:54 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,810,367 times
Quote:
This is a common misunderstanding I heard from residents of those states. They actually would benefit as wholesale energy is priced across the region with ISO-NE at the helm. MA would be the primary beneficiary in terms of actually being able to use the product delivered across the interconnector and claiming it for climate goals. But it would assist the entire region with price stability on the wholesale market and operational security as a non fuel dependent, reliable source of energy.

There is already one of these interconnectors from Hydro Quebec to Massachusetts. It's importance had been magnified significantly in light of the pipeline constraints of the past few years. Even more so today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts