Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 09:02 AM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Eh, not sure I'd call that nimbyism. I see nimbyism is more along the lines of something I'll benefit from, but I just don't like the placement because it impacts me negatively.

When its not directly benefitting me in anyway at all, its just saying no.

I'd be hard pressed to buy into any benefits of this if I was in Vermont and using wood with a propane back up for heat as so many people do. The overall regional impact on fuel prices in general is a pretty tough sell.

I don't know the history of the path, but often utilities used to used shared rights of way. As in, power and telephone lines using existing rail corridors. Don't know why that is feasible for a gas pipeline, but even then, you'd have to compensate locals significantly I would think.
On a related note regarding how Maine Governor Janet Mills handled her part of the Maine power deal... I don't think she was there from the start, but she apparently helped to negotiate a discount for Maine rate payers and some benefits for promoting adoption of EVs and electric heat pumps - two of her priorities. But the rate discount wasn't significant, and apparently many Maine residents in rural areas in western Maine (where the power lines were to be run) really want access to high speed internet - thing mays have gone differently if she had thrown them a bone re *their* priorities.

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/08/...ic-land-lease/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 01:27 PM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Outdoor Lover,
I thought of you because we got the paperwork the other day in the mail regarding the aggregation program. Did you get yours? I’m not sure what to do…
Hi Remy - just opening it up... so it looks like the rate we'll get (if we don't send in the opt-out card) will be $0.2176/kWh this winter, which actually isn't bad, and there are no fees or contractual restrictions. I'll probably just hold my card and get entered into the Community Choice program... then in Spring (May) revisit when the rates are going to be revised - we've been promised $0.1332 in May if we stay in the Community Choice program, but we may get a better rate from someone else (maybe even Natl Grid Basic Service) in May.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
On a related note regarding how Maine Governor Janet Mills handled her part of the Maine power deal... I don't think she was there from the start, but she apparently helped to negotiate a discount for Maine rate payers and some benefits for promoting adoption of EVs and electric heat pumps - two of her priorities. But the rate discount wasn't significant, and apparently many Maine residents in rural areas in western Maine (where the power lines were to be run) really want access to high speed internet - thing mays have gone differently if she had thrown them a bone re *their* priorities.

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/08/...ic-land-lease/
Understandable ask. Of course, high speed internet should be treated like phone lines were and made a National program. That shouldn't be on the states, its basic infrastructure, IMO.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Understandable ask. Of course, high speed internet should be treated like phone lines were and made a National program. That shouldn't be on the states, its basic infrastructure, IMO.
There is a huge pile of federal money subsidizing rural broadband. It’s more an issue that rural areas aren’t affluent enough to buy much beyond basic broadband. If you don’t have those $200/month subscribers, it’s tough to make the business case to expand your footprint even with the subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts