Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2022, 06:04 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,090,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
We have people born here that don't even want to work. Its actually sad how many seem to not want to work or are sick of it. A friend of mine quit working as an HR exec at 55 because she was sick of whole pronoun thing and fierce diversity and inclusion efforts. She had at one point enjoyed her job too. It's laughable that people think there are so many poor starving South Americans that want to come here to work. Some do and some will but most just want the dole and an ebt card. Why wouldn't they?? The scary thing is how easily this country gives things out. We don't even expect people to work anymore. It's like oh you don't feel like working? No problem, you'll still get enough money, food and housing from the government to survive. You can sit in your house all day, keep having kids, send them them to school, hell you can even try to get free housing in a better town with better public schools for those kids you keep crapping out. Don't worry about the rest of us who actually give a sh@t.
That’s the funny thing about the US - we’ve been handing out those taxpayer dollars not too dissimilar form how they’re being handed out in a place like Denmark, except a place like Denmark wouldn’t let in anybody unless they’re the second coming of Jesus and Einstein in one and the existing population sees being on the dole as shameful. And, needless to say, despite all that their tax rate is still close to 70%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 09:08 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,234,016 times
Quote:
*came here*

If they really want to work why are there so many unfilled positions?
I love the circular logic of this question. Are you asking employers to knowingly employ "illegals" to fill their positions?

I'm talking about the work ethic of these folks who are coming in. Nowhere have I seen that they don't want to work.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:12 AM

9,519 posts, read 11,282,244 times
I'd drop them off at the mayor's residence. WELCOME one and all!!!!

Old 11-27-2022, 09:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I love the circular logic of this question. Are you asking employers to knowingly employ "illegals" to fill their positions?

I'm talking about the work ethic of these folks who are coming in. Nowhere have I seen that they don't want to work.
Quite the opposite. They want to work, a lot, and the remittances sent back (which helps in stability of their home countries) are crucial.

Some employers knowingly do so, the big corporate ones. When I worked in Western KY there was a giant Tyson chicken plant that rather openly bussed in undocumented workers from TX and had sham employment agencies (sham "temp" worker agencies) falsify paperwork to give the company a shield. They rented out entire motel complexes and houses a family (or more) to a room. I've seen the same in pig processing plants in IA. Not uncommon.

Of course small companies don't have that ability.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:22 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,234,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I'd drop them off at the mayor's residence. WELCOME one and all!!!!
Yeah, another brilliant solution.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Still haven’t answered my question amigo - if they all want to work and are good for the economy why are we handing them $139M and NYC which was unfortunate enough to get a few extra buses is forking over an entire billion?

Same goes for my other question - what’s your proposal to solve the problem amigo, do we send them home or do we send them to the ballot box?

Old 11-27-2022, 10:32 AM

23,899 posts, read 19,086,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Quite the opposite. They want to work, a lot, and the remittances sent back (which helps in stability of their home countries) are crucial.

Some employers knowingly do so, the big corporate ones. When I worked in Western KY there was a giant Tyson chicken plant that rather openly bussed in undocumented workers from TX and had sham employment agencies (sham "temp" worker agencies) falsify paperwork to give the company a shield. They rented out entire motel complexes and houses a family (or more) to a room. I've seen the same in pig processing plants in IA. Not uncommon.

Of course small companies don't have that ability.

I assume you reported this to ICE?

Old 11-27-2022, 03:10 PM

24,858 posts, read 11,303,401 times
Quote:
*came here*

If they really want to work why are there so many unfilled positions?
There is so much bias and hate in this thread it is representative for a lot of areas I know workwise. When was the last time you went through an application and hiring process?

Old 11-28-2022, 06:14 AM

7,948 posts, read 7,882,203 times
The fact of the matter is is the Trump air immigration policies coupled with covid restrictions dramatically lowered the amount of immigration to the country. From 2008 onward we have had a dramatically lower birth rate which might not sound like much because those students are probably about 14 years old now. However once we reach around 2026-27 we're going to definitely see that impact in the labor market. Meanwhile the Baby Boomers pretty much retired and left and then you're wondering why there's just a shortage.

It's been argued that we have about 6 million less people in the labor market than there should be. If we didn't have covid and we didn't have those immigration restrictions we might have had a Fighting Chance on us. The difference with the birth rate from 2008 onward is approximately four and a half million people. So yes we are going to continue to have a much tighter Market. The other thing to consider is that all the stimulus spending led to inflation I think we can all agree on that but now we have much higher interest rates that we know are going to have an impact and housing. This also strengthens the dollar dramatically so if we're looking for more immigrants to come over that's probably not going to happen at least for short-term work or for Education because they can just do it online

Old 11-28-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, another brilliant solution.

What’s your solution amigo since you haven’t offered any so far, save everybody some time and drop them off at the nearest polling place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The fact of the matter is is the Trump air immigration policies coupled with covid restrictions dramatically lowered the amount of immigration to the country. From 2008 onward we have had a dramatically lower birth rate which might not sound like much because those students are probably about 14 years old now. However once we reach around 2026-27 we're going to definitely see that impact in the labor market. Meanwhile the Baby Boomers pretty much retired and left and then you're wondering why there's just a shortage.

It's been argued that we have about 6 million less people in the labor market than there should be. If we didn't have covid and we didn't have those immigration restrictions we might have had a Fighting Chance on us. The difference with the birth rate from 2008 onward is approximately four and a half million people. So yes we are going to continue to have a much tighter Market. The other thing to consider is that all the stimulus spending led to inflation I think we can all agree on that but now we have much higher interest rates that we know are going to have an impact and housing. This also strengthens the dollar dramatically so if we're looking for more immigrants to come over that's probably not going to happen at least for short-term work or for Education because they can just do it online
That would be nice except the millions upon millions of illegals that are pouring in right now will be added to our welfare rolls, not to our labor pool. There’s only a limited number of jobs for those who are uneducated, unskilled and don’t speak a word of English and who in their right mind would take those jobs when el jefe AKA Tio Jose is handing out billions of taxpayer dollars left and right in exchange for all those future votes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts