Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 04:24 PM

10,070 posts, read 15,759,470 times

Advertisements

The Cape Club was purchased with the idea of building on those potential lots, which sold very well.

Our house in Hilton Head sits right next to a tee. It's pretty close to the dining room window but I guess that tee is so far back from the hole that you wouldn't be using it unless you capable of hitting a ball from that distance. My husband can use it but he rarely does because most of the people he plays with can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 11:42 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,759,993 times
Golf is so stupid IMO. Huge waste of space and resources.

Old 12-24-2022, 04:40 AM

531 posts, read 431,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
They shouldnt have been awarded anything. The gulf course was there before the couple was. Its like people who buy a house next to a shooting range then complain about hearing gun shots.
Another vote for this comment. We lived near the Fish and Game Club growing up and could hear the hunters’ gun shots often. They’d even exit the woods that abutted the top of our cul-de-sac at times and come walking down the street with guns slung over their shoulders. My parents didn’t sue anyone for millions. It’s nobody else’s problem if you don’t bother to consider your surroundings when you move to a new home.

Last edited by Remy11; 12-24-2022 at 04:51 AM..

Old 12-24-2022, 07:40 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,092,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Cape Club was purchased with the idea of building on those potential lots, which sold very well.

Our house in Hilton Head sits right next to a tee. It's pretty close to the dining room window but I guess that tee is so far back from the hole that you wouldn't be using it unless you capable of hitting a ball from that distance. My husband can use it but he rarely does because most of the people he plays with can't.
Yes. I've known that developer for decades. I knew him even before I was a real estate agent. My parents were at one of his weddings. My father even invested in one of his developments in Hingham (something Hill can't remember the name) and he custom built the house my brother lives in for him. This being said . . . don't take this in any way as an endorsement of the quality of his work.

As for the tee box near your house, I'm sure it's not facing your house either. Living next to a tee box is usually a pretty safe spot as long as you're literally next to it or behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
A lot of sports take up huge amounts of space and resources. How much land is Gillette Stadium sitting on? I'm sure there are plenty of people who think football is stupid. How much water is used in making snow for skiing? I'm sure some people think that's a stupid activity.

Anyway, my point is this is really an entirely different conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Another vote for this comment. We lived near the Fish and Game Club growing up and could hear the hunters’ gun shots often. They’d even exit the woods that abutted the top of our cul-de-sac at times and come walking down the street with guns slung over their shoulders. My parents didn’t sue anyone for millions. It’s nobody else’s problem if you don’t bother to consider your surroundings when you move to a new home.
I think the term is assumed risk or something like that. If there's a pre-existing condition then you're assuming the risk of it being there. The golf course is a great example. If you live near a golf course then the court has decided that a reasonable person would assume their house would get hit with golf balls.

I think why these folks were awarded some money is that the court felt the number of balls they were hit by was far in excess of what a reasonable person would assume. Anyway, the golf course should have just put up a net to protect the house I think they were too stubborn. I don't recall all the details of the case so that might not be correct.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:56 AM

9,289 posts, read 6,429,338 times
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if golf went away. Do enough young people show interest in it? I would presume that shorter attention spans would harm the viability of the sport.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if golf went away. Do enough young people show interest in it? I would presume that shorter attention spans would harm the viability of the sport.
Nope most can't afford it. I've tried it a few times, couldn't get into it. I have more fun at mini golf. Places like Top Golf are more popular.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:15 AM

560 posts, read 755,274 times
Quote:
Nope most can't afford it. I've tried it a few times, couldn't get into it. I have more fun at mini golf. Places like Top Golf are more popular.
I think that is your opinion. I would beg to differ. I see plenty of youngish people playing and getting interested. Its never going to be massive, but I don't see it dying any time soon.

Playing a muni with a few friends isn't that expensive. ~$30-$60 bucks for 4+ hrs of entertainment once a week. Not terrible.

Old 12-25-2022, 05:53 PM

10,070 posts, read 15,759,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
I think that is your opinion. I would beg to differ. I see plenty of youngish people playing and getting interested. Its never going to be massive, but I don't see it dying any time soon.

Playing a muni with a few friends isn't that expensive. ~$30-$60 bucks for 4+ hrs of entertainment once a week. Not terrible.
Plus, there are lots of young guys (mid to late 20's) who are joining private clubs if they are doing well in their careers. Lots of clubs have special deals for under 30 memberships.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post

That's just because of your social circle. The average person cannot afford to buy or rent clubs and then pay $70 or whatever for 18 rounds. It's for affluent people just like skiing/snowboarding/swimming. Ever seen someone from the hood play golf?

It's not my opinion, just look at the stats.

https://www.untracedgolfing.com/en-u...dont-play-golf

https://southamptongolfclub.com/is-g...a-dying-sport/

Old 12-27-2022, 06:15 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,043,091 times
Quote:
That's just because of your social circle. The average person cannot afford to buy or rent clubs and then pay $70 or whatever for 18 rounds. It's for affluent people just like skiing/snowboarding/swimming. Ever seen someone from the hood play golf?

It's not my opinion, just look at the stats.

https://www.untracedgolfing.com/en-u...dont-play-golf

https://southamptongolfclub.com/is-g...a-dying-sport/
Swimming is for the affluent? Where did this ever come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts