Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 09:00 AM

12,463 posts, read 9,550,156 times

Advertisements

I guess I am the odd man out here - I wouldn't automatically assume that a house near a course is going to get regularly struck. I would assume that planners of the course and the neighborhood wouldn't site a home or lay out the course so that nearby homes are under high risk of errant shots. Golf balls are extremely hard and someone can really get hurt if they are hit on a bone or in the head, besides the damage to property... apparently though, it's buyer beware and now I would think twice, no, 10x before considering such a home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 10:03 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
This case pissed me off. Just feels like a sign of the times. People suing for anything. I'm not even sure I can see getting awarded 100k for broken windows. Yes I can see where the golf club should pay but that's about it. 4 million for mental suffering and anguish over broken windows ? Omg. Cry me a River.

It does make me wonder about places like black rock where people pay 4 or 5 million for a house right on a golf course. I guess those homes never get hit ? They don't seem to be in direct line of shooting. At the end of the day this couple bought the home knowing where it was. They also bought it in 2017 and could have probably made a lot of money selling it around 2021 but they chose to sue rather than just sell. They sound very greedy. I'm guessing they'll be awarded something but what a scam.

Old 12-27-2022, 10:07 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I guess I am the odd man out here - I wouldn't automatically assume that a house near a course is going to get regularly struck. I would assume that planners of the course and the neighborhood wouldn't site a home or lay out the course so that nearby homes are under high risk of errant shots. Golf balls are extremely hard and someone can really get hurt if they are hit on a bone or in the head, besides the damage to property... apparently though, it's buyer beware and now I would think twice, no, 10x before considering such a home!
I can see this point as well that maybe you wouldn't think you'd be hit as often as these people were but I can't really say that's the fault of the golf course alone. I certainly don't think they deserve 4 million over it.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:48 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Swimming is for the affluent? Where did this ever come from?
Nice deflection. Yes swimming is for the affluent. Swim lessons and access to a pool are expensive. The majority of the world can't swim!

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gall...wim-women.aspx

How many third world countries do you see compete at swimming at the Olympics? How many African countries, Southeast Asian countries, Latin countries compete? If they have any entrants then they usually finish dead last by a large amount. Plenty of these countries compete in cheap sports like track and field, soccer, and basketball.

Yes swimming is for the affluent just like tennis. That's why there are swim and tennis clubs in rich neighborhoods. Ever see a high school in the hood win a state championship in swimming? The talent and skills are certainly there, just not the access.

Rule of thumb, most white dominated sports are for the affluent. Swimming, cycling, hockey, equestrian, and just about the entire winter Olympics sports lineup. Can you imagine how dominant Africans would be at the Tour de France if they had access to those $10k bicycles? I believe one year someone born from Kenya won it. Imagine if the entire country had access to 10k bikes.

Last edited by matrix5k; 12-27-2022 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2022, 03:55 PM

I kind of get what you're saying about swimming. I don't know if swimming is for the affluent necessarily but most drowning victims in MA over the past few years have been POC. Its been said that their parents and communities don't teach them how to swim. Its a parent involved thing. You have to take your kids for a swim lesson or at the very least teach them yourself.

The same has been said about hockey being a privileged sport. You can't play hockey if you don't know how to skate. It's parents that need to get their kids lessons and skates and have them learn to skate. Some don't have the money or the time so it never happens.

Swimming is a skill everyone should have. I think it's on the parents to make sure their kids know how to swim. You don't need to be an Olympian or even competitive.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:07 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Nice deflection. Yes swimming is for the affluent. Swim lessons and access to a pool are expensive. The majority of the world can't swim!

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gall...wim-women.aspx

How many third world countries do you see compete at swimming at the Olympics? How many African countries, Southeast Asian countries, Latin countries compete? If they have any entrants then they usually finish dead last by a large amount. Plenty of these countries compete in cheap sports like track and field, soccer, and basketball.

Yes swimming is for the affluent just like tennis. That's why there are swim and tennis clubs in rich neighborhoods. Ever see a high school in the hood win a state championship in swimming? The talent and skills are certainly there, just not the access.

Rule of thumb, most white dominated sports are for the affluent. Swimming, cycling, hockey, equestrian, and just about the entire winter Olympics sports lineup. Can you imagine how dominant Africans would be at the Tour de France if they had access to those $10k bicycles? I believe one year someone born from Kenya won it. Imagine if the entire country had access to 10k bikes.
Not a deflection. I just dont see how it is affluent.

You dont need a pool to learn to swim. I know I didnt. My family was definitely not affluent. We just swam in lakes and rivers.

You do not need money to know how to swim. In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest activities out there that you can do. Its cheaper than baseball, football, basketball, soccer even.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:41 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
I think the income thing and swimming applies mostly to countries outside the US. I learned to swim as a child at the Y. Not expensive. Boys and Girls Clubs also teach swimming in many locations, as do many city/town public pools and recreation departments. Based on my anecdotal observation people who grow up around bodies of water in the US tend to know how to swim more than those who don't. I think it is incumbent on parents to make sure their kid knows how to swim. That said, if putting food on the table is a challenge, or if parents are addicted, neglectful, irresponsible, swimming won't be the priority. Swimming is very popular at the Chinatown Y among older Chinese folks, most of whom come from lower working classes.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:52 AM

Yes you have to have the desire to teach your kids to swim. Apparently not everyone does.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:30 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not a deflection. I just dont see how it is affluent.

You dont need a pool to learn to swim. I know I didnt. My family was definitely not affluent. We just swam in lakes and rivers.

You do not need money to know how to swim. In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest activities out there that you can do. Its cheaper than baseball, football, basketball, soccer even.
Swimming is a winter sport. It's expensive to access a pool in the winter in MA. How many poor kids in MA have that access? I'm referring to sports teams ie being on the swim team, not playing around in lakes and rivers. If it's so cheap to swim then why is the sport dominated by rich white countries at the Olympics? Black athletes would dominate just like in track and field if they all had access to pools.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:32 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Swimming is a winter sport. It's expensive to access a pool in the winter in MA. How many poor kids in MA have that access? This thread is about sports ie being on the swim team, not playing around in lakes and rivers.
How is swimming a winter sport? Swimming isnt a team sport by any means. It can be but it doesnt have to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts