Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 11:08 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I'm not sure what 80% of the area median income is for Duxbury...is it $80K/year, $90K per year? Either way, some hardworking folks will have a chance to own a home in a nice seaside town so congrats to them. Multimillionaire snob NIMBY's beware, the affordables are coming lol
it's more than that. Developments like this create more traffic, more crowding in the schools

There's plenty of more affordable seaside towns around as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 11:14 AM

3,627 posts, read 1,855,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
it's more than that. Developments like this create more traffic, more crowding in the schools

There's plenty of more affordable seaside towns around as well.
I get that this is a polarizing topic and folks have some very differing views....no offense but you seem like you'd fit into the category of a snob NIMBY. Folks wrongly think these affordable houses are going to be built to look differently than neighboring houses or that the people who move in will not take care of the place and degrade their posh little town. I think the exact opposite in many cases....someone working hard who has a chance to get into a great seaside community will probably work their fanny off to keep their house looking good and will be so grateful to finally be able to realize their dream of home ownership.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:23 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I guess I mean... I see what you're saying.

But someone making $90k who may be receiving a "public benefit" in the form of income-restricted housing, is still middle class. That's still economic diversity.

Living independently, I mean a choice. When you're living with your significant other- that's not 'shacking up with 6 other people' or a roommate
My point is that if you're middle class with a decent salary, living independently and not currently in, you're unlikely to be coming in now nor were you more likely than not to have come in over the last 10 years. Independent living can be a choice, but it's not always. Some people may be living as a couple because they feel compelled due to other needs to live in the area. If you enjoy being single I would call that a preference to live on their own. Many people have this preference. Many other people may have not met a person they want to share their lives with. This is basic knowledge stuff. Whatever the reasons, many cannot do it here on their own. There's no norm that says people should live with a partner or else that means they are making some detrimental choice in their lives. I get they have the choice not to live here and to look somewhere else. That' a given. But I wouldn't call a city where single middle class relatively high functioning people can't live independently, socioeconomically diverse. That group (across the full demographic spectrum) have a lot to contribute that the city is missing.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:23 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Prices of existing condos in Bridgewater (for instance) are already way below 700k that new 700k wouldn't really have an impact.

Here's one, 229k. Short walk to the CR stop.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Bridgewate.../home/16314157

The problem is that the vast majority of people who would be interested in something like this aren't living in Bridgewater. They are living in Boston.
People native to both are getting prices out to places all over the south shore- Bridgewater is one of them. A Recent grad or a Boston native will probably end up buying it. Plenty of people with social connections in this area just need a place, any place, to live.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:26 AM

I think there are towns should be able to keep their green spaces, natural beauty and not be littered with apartments/townhouses just because someone wants to say they live in said town. I'm far from snobby, that has nothing to do with a place being 'posh'. If someone really wants posh go to beacon hill not a south shore suburb.

I also think it's stupid that people buy 3-5M homes that they are never in because they live full time somewhere else. That's their business though...tearing down forests to pack in apts and people is my business.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:29 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
..no offense but you seem like you'd fit into the category of a snob NIMBY.
Quote:
not be littered with apartments/townhouses just because someone wants to say they live in said town.
Yep, sounds about right. Nobody wants to say they live somewhere, they just want to live there.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
My point is that if you're middle class with a decent salary, living independently and not currently in, you're unlikely to be coming in now nor were you more likely than not to have come in over the last 10 years. Independent living can be a choice, but it's not always. Some people may be living as a couple because they feel compelled due to other needs to live in the area. If you enjoy being single I would call that a preference. Many people may have not met a person they want to share their life with. This is basic knowledge stuff. Whatever the reasons, many cannot do it here on their own.
Yea unlikely to choose Boston over a bunch of other cities in the US, but it still happens. These affordable housing lists are snapped up instantaneously... and much of the time if not most of the time you need a professional salary to live in them. Even if its may be on the lower end of the salary scale. its more than just one persons hourly wage to afford most of these units.

You've got all type of workers and salaries in Boston from Fast food workers, non-profit workers, bus drivers, lab technicians, iron workersin a union, paralegals, RNs hedge fund managers, client/sales managers, to professors. Boston is not as socioeconomically diverse as it was at its modern peak but it's still socioeconomically diverse.

Many cant do it here on their own but many can and do hence all the new 1 bedroom units, studio units and micro units being built. Well before they stopped building housing and just focus don building labs.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:39 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea unlikely to choose Boston over a bunch of other cities in the US, but it still happens. These affordable housing lists are snapped up instantaneously... and much of the time if not most of the time you need a professional salary to live in them. Even if its may be on the lower end of the salary scale. its more than just one persons hourly wage to afford most of these units.

You've got all type of workers and salaries in Boston from Fast food workers, non-profit workers, bus drivers, lab technicians, iron workersin a union, paralegals, RNs hedge fund managers, client/sales managers, to professors. Boston is not as socioeconomically diverse as it was at its modern peak but it's still socioeconomically diverse.

Many cant do it here on their own but many can and do hence all the new 1 bedroom units, studio units and micro units being built. Well before they stopped building housing and just focus don building labs.
Not so sure that most of the non-professional people are living in or even bordering Boston. I know or am acquainted with a ton of people in the trades and service industries who commute. I would also bet most of those who do are not living independently. Including the paralegals and lab techs and the like who don't make squat.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:42 AM

I get that there are people of different salary levels working in Boston, they just aren't all able to afford to live in Boston. That's what i meant.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I'm far from snobby,

Anyways.. people want to live in nice towns because they're safer, have cleaner air, better parks, better schools, and better roads (generally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts