Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 01:28 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
#1 on the experience to be gained list? Have a plumber lined up BEFORE you need one.
The same is true for the HVAC or the boiler and a family CPA and attorney.
I'm not sure how this would be possible. I called my usual plumber but he was booked solid for 24 hours so I had to get someone else. It's not like your plumber is going to wait around for you to call them, they will serve whoever calls them first or whoever they're closest to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 01:44 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
How much does it matter what are you setting the thermostat to? in one or 2 rooms in my house the heating wasn't able to keep up so it stayed on the entire night and yet the T was lower than 60F in the morning.
In that case, it's just going to constantly command heat even if it won't be able to maintain temps. I ran my fireplace friday night and Sat AM and it did help a lot. I had my thermostat set to 68, but my living room was a toasty 75 degrees with the fire going. I put a small tower fan to try and blow that heat around. I probably fed a good $50-60 worth of wood into it, so not sure it was cost effective, but it was comfortable in that room.

That's not really much of a surprise given the older housing stock in MA. Old homes tend to be poorly insulated and drafty, and the conditions friday night were extreme cold with gusting winds, so it was probably the biggest test many home heating systems have had in many many years.

We were fortunately it was only one night. Lets take this as a learning experience and make preperations in case this ever occurs again. 2-3 nights of sub-zero is going to be tough.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:29 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I'm not sure how this would be possible. I called my usual plumber but he was booked solid for 24 hours so I had to get someone else. It's not like your plumber is going to wait around for you to call them, they will serve whoever calls them first or whoever they're closest to.
I see Mr. Rational a lot in the real estate sub-forum where he posts frequently. He's doesn't always live up to his name.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I have a few buddies who were plumbers who were advertising their services on FB and emphasizing they were "first come, first serve". I don't even think I could have gotten my buddy, who i vacation with, to drop what he had going on to come save me if i really needed him.

You're going to have to dangle a big carrot to get to the head of that line.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:50 PM

86 posts, read 46,395 times
Isn't it a big nono to run pipes in exterior walls? Would it freeze even when within an interior wall or between joists? I never thought a pipe could burst as long as I kept my house above freezing.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have a few buddies who were plumbers who were advertising their services on FB and emphasizing they were "first come, first serve". I don't even think I could have gotten my buddy, who i vacation with, to drop what he had going on to come save me if i really needed him.

You're going to have to dangle a big carrot to get to the head of that line.
I guess I'm glad I learnt how to sweat copper for a DIY water softener build

Old 02-07-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1337 View Post

Agreed. I had enough supplies on hand to tackle the issue myself. I really only call up my buddy when it comes to natural gas. Rather have a licensed pro handle that stuff for liability reasons. But sweating in a shutoff is not that difficult although probably a bit more advanced than the average homeowner can handle.

Of course, MA requires a licensed plumber to do all plumbing work.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Of course, MA requires a licensed plumber to do all plumbing work.
Of course. I'm licensed in all trades in my fantasy world.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Of course. I'm licensed in all trades in my fantasy world.
My Youtube Technician license covers everything I need.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:16 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Isn't it a big nono to run pipes in exterior walls? Would it freeze even when within an interior wall or between joists? I never thought a pipe could burst as long as I kept my house above freezing.
I've seen it happen where pipes are in an exterior wall. It's definitely not advised or a smart thing to do. I don't see it a lot though. Pipes running through a garage ceiling is far more common but not a hugely better arrangement. 99% of the time when I hear someone had a burst pipe it's usually in an exterior wall, in a garage wall, or in the basement. I haven't heard too often of a burst pipe in an interior wall.

Quote:
I definitely wish I knew how to sweat copper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts