Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 01:29 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
She has mentioned she has a partner but never seems to include his earnings in all of this.
He's a small business owner trying to sell the company, but also has almost 4 times his current income in law school debt and the business itself is profitable but so capital intensive that it is heavily indebted as well. He also is an only child with parents who have relied on his business to pay off their mortgage and have no retirement savings of their own and who are in their late 60s/early 70s so is planning on supporting them in their retirement.

It is not rational to make future plans with his finances in mind when his contributions to a household will be relatively negligible as of right now. Obviously, if he sells the company, uses the proceeds to pay off his student loans and contribute to a downpayment, and finds a 6 figure corporate job it would be a different story. But again, I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched and so for current planning purposes only count my own income.

Honestly, my point in discussing my finances is that it's absolutely cuckoo bananas that a household income of 170K could leave someone questioning if they can afford a condo AND childcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 01:43 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
He's a small business owner trying to sell the company, but also has almost 4 times his current income in law school debt and the business itself is profitable but so capital intensive that it is heavily indebted as well. He also is an only child with parents who have relied on his business to pay off their mortgage and have no retirement savings of their own and who are in their late 60s/early 70s so is planning on supporting them in their retirement.

It is not rational to make future plans with his finances in mind when his contributions to a household will be relatively negligible as of right now. Obviously, if he sells the company, uses the proceeds to pay off his student loans and contribute to a downpayment, and finds a 6 figure corporate job it would be a different story. But again, I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched and so for current planning purposes only count my own income.

Honestly, my point in discussing my finances is that it's absolutely cuckoo bananas that a household income of 170K could leave someone questioning if they can afford a condo AND childcare.
I agree, people should be able to afford a condo and childcare more easily on 170k. I think people get robbed on daycare, but everyone also come backs with, oh those people working there need to be paid too (they get paid very low) and they need to keep the lights on. I get that but it still doesn't make sense to me that each person who uses daycare gets charged $2500-3k+ to help pay minimum wage people, keep the electricity going, help them pay the rent. It just doesn't add up for me and feels scammy. Not that I think parents should expect to pay nothing for someone to take care of their precious children...but some folks HAVE to work. They don't have the option to just stay home and not bother with daycare, it's a NEED.

It's another supply/demand thing. uber wealthy people of Boston have made daycare expensive along with the rents/real estate.

It's funny how we have public schools for people to send their kids to if they choose, but no public daycare.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:43 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,855,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Sorry to be a bit off topic here but I have to say that is really selfless of him to be financing his parents retirement. Did his parents make really poor financial decisions in their lifetime...apologies and don't mean to be nosy but this has me really curious? I've never heard of someone going to this extreme for their parents before to the point of paying off parents mortgage (I mean if I won the lotto or was a multimillionaire sure I'd be doing something like that for my family) but this is really jaw dropping that he's putting himself in such a financial scenario all while trying to pay off his own school debt and try to get ahead/make a life for himself.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:50 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
Quote:
I agree, people should be able to afford a condo and childcare more easily on 170k. I think people get robbed on daycare, but everyone also come backs with, oh those people working there need to be paid too (they get paid very low) and they need to keep the lights on. I get that but it still doesn't make sense to me that each person who uses daycare gets charged $2500-3k+ to help pay minimum wage people, keep the electricity going, help them pay the rent. It just doesn't add up for me and feels scammy. Not that I think parents should expect to pay nothing for someone to take care of their precious children...but some folks HAVE to work. They don't have the option to just stay home and not bother with daycare, it's a NEED.

It's another supply/demand thing. uber wealthy people of Boston have made daycare expensive along with the rents/real estate.

It's funny how we have public schools for people to send their kids to if they choose, but no public daycare.
If people were happy to have higher taxes to afford public daycare that might be an option. Or to cut spending on other public services.

I don't know about other places, but my daycare pays the workers a decent salary with benefits...far from minimum wage.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
If people were happy to have higher taxes to afford public daycare that might be an option. Or to cut spending on other public services.

I don't know about other places, but my daycare pays the workers a decent salary with benefits...far from minimum wage.
Liability insurance is through the roof for this industry. That's one of the giant drivers of cost, and the increases in cost over the last couple of decades.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:04 PM

Default re

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by decent salary...I have no problem with them getting benefits but maybe daycares pay these people more than they are worth and it's the customer that pays the price. It's tricky because you want your kids taken care of well...but it seems like people have a hard time making this work or struggle during the daycare years between mortgage payments and daycare payments.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Sorry to be a bit off topic here but I have to say that is really selfless of him to be financing his parents retirement. Did his parents make really poor financial decisions in their lifetime...apologies and don't mean to be nosy but this has me really curious? I've never heard of someone going to this extreme for their parents before to the point of paying off parents mortgage (I mean if I won the lotto or was a multimillionaire sure I'd be doing something like that for my family) but this is really jaw dropping that he's putting himself in such a financial scenario all while trying to pay off his own school debt and try to get ahead/make a life for himself.
That's unfortunate about the parents. It could be cultural too. Can he help them in non-financial ways?

1) sell business, 2) pay off school debt, 3) become stay at home parent and avoid daycare costs while she works and brings home the bacon.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:08 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,855,367 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by decent salary...I have no problem with them getting benefits but maybe daycares pay these people more than they are worth and it's the customer that pays the price. It's tricky because you want your kids taken care of well...but it seems like people have a hard time making this work or struggle during the daycare years between mortgage payments and daycare payments.
Maybe more companies here should have onsite daycare where folks can contribute pre tax dollars toward funding their child's care.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:10 PM

Default re

Quote:
That's unfortunate about the parents. It could be cultural too. Can he help them in non-financial ways?

1) sell business, 2) pay off school debt, 3) become stay at home parent and avoid daycare costs while she works and brings home the bacon.
Having him stay home and take care of the kids is a great idea...but from what I recall i think he is in upstate NY? I say have him in sell the business, move to Boston and he can be the daddy daycare.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Based on the PPP loan they received and knowing how PPP loan amounts are calculated, I figured the average worker at this daycare earned around $54k in 2019.

Compared to other daycares in the area its definitely on the higher side for pricing and probably because they're not paying minimum wage. Turnover has been minimal. My wife really likes it so its going to be hard to switch at this point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts