Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 11:36 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I like a lot about it. I love the architecture of the historic building, the layout is funky (in a good way - for the most part), more bathrooms than I'd expect in a similarly sized/priced condo, good size kitchen and bedrooms, two off-street parking spaces, etc. But the killer for me is that "Living room." It's tiny and awkwardly situated. I'm sure it's fine for some, but I'd hate having my primary living area be a lofted nook with a very low ceiling and minimal square footage. Perfect for a secondary reading area or quiet space, but not my first choice as a living room.
Definitely less ideal for families with small kids, but I actually like the smaller, defined space! It doesn't feel closed off the way a separate living room can, but being lofted means that there's a definite purpose to the room. I'm also short so the height is fine for me. The only thing that I might want in a living room that doesn't fit is a desk, but there's space in the dining area or in the small 3rd bedroom or loft for that.

What really sells me is the lofted space up the spiral staircase in one of the bedrooms. The bedroom is smaller but has an en-suite. I would renovate the underutilized loft space to be a more functional closet/dressing room and use that room as a master bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 04:12 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think it's clever like a fox.

If someone has a budget of $X and sees something they think is out of their price range listed in their range, they're more likely to try to stretch their budget beyond $X to get it even though it was never going to sell for anything close to the original list price.
Ever watch that show on HGTV where a realtor shows them 3 houses? One under budget, one right at budget and one way over budget. The buyers always choose the one way over budget.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
If you're shopping in a specific price range, let's face it....$200-300K over list is usually out of the question as far as stretching it is concerned for most people.
This thread is going off the rails but in the 2023 real estate thread people gave me a hard time for saying 800k vs 1mil is not the same price range. So I agree with you.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:15 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
This thread is going off the rails but in the 2023 real estate thread people gave me a hard time for saying 800k vs 1mil is not the same price range. So I agree with you.

Depends on the price range, I guess.

My son is a Realtor in the Boston area and he recently had a client go $480,000 over asking on a $2.75 million house. They really wanted that house. They got it.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:45 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Ever watch that show on HGTV where a realtor shows them 3 houses? One under budget, one right at budget and one way over budget. The buyers always choose the one way over budget.
I try not to watch HGTV, but I'm not surprised. This is how marketing psychology works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
If you're shopping in a specific price range, let's face it....$200-300K over list is usually out of the question as far as stretching it is concerned for most people.
Nah, a fair number start off by convincing themselves they'll be reasonable and set a budget that's comfortable rather than at the bleeding edge of killing them. Then they go shopping, fall in love with a home that's $200-300k higher than their budget, and then convince themselves it's worth pushing to the bleeding edge for (only going to get more expensive! it's perfect! we won't need to put any money into updating it!).

Bonus American Dream points if, after stretching their budget to the breaking point to get it, they then run up some credit cards buying furniture and home accessories they didn't need to add the finishing touches.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:36 AM

Pretty cool history behind this home.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Old 07-14-2023, 08:45 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

Is that the show where the husband owns a Worm Farm and the Wife is a professional napkin folder and their budget is 1.2 Million?

Old 07-14-2023, 08:52 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Pretty cool history behind this home.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Really nice home.

Not the best street appeal and location through. Looks like it's a former real estate office (Earth Realty Company) and the driveway was carved out to make it into a parking lot for 6-8 cars or so. Great view of the carpet company.

House is awesome though.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:01 AM

360 posts, read 140,660 times
This one just sold. The sale price took me a bit by surprise, but outside of the price, I really liked this one. It's not terribly large, but the house appears to be well-kept, modernized, has a great flat yard, and the proximity to the water is very nice. Good curb appeal IMO, too. $927k wouldn't shock me in Hingham, but Scituate seems to have become really hot these past few years as well.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Scituate/1.../home/16436517

Old 07-14-2023, 09:24 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
This one just sold. The sale price took me a bit by surprise, but outside of the price, I really liked this one. It's not terribly large, but the house appears to be well-kept, modernized, has a great flat yard, and the proximity to the water is very nice. Good curb appeal IMO, too. $927k wouldn't shock me in Hingham, but Scituate seems to have become really hot these past few years as well.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Scituate/1.../home/16436517
Flat yard but still needs a sump pump w/battery back up! (as noted in disclosures) Nice house, don't care for the backyard and how it is wide open to the backyard of house behind it though. I guess a fence and some large arborvitaes could fix that but for $900+K I'd expect a bit more privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts