Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 08:33 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Just scroll up a few posts, and you'll see the reference I'm talking about. $800K - $1M homes in Woburn.
From what I could see the poster said people who recently bought a home at that price in Woburn will be p*ssed that their city is now a place where migrants are being housed in hotels. I don't see anything mentioned about property values dropping...although maybe they will? People don't want to spend a lot of money for a house in a town that is housing migrants. Think about what will happen to the public schools in the fall. Seems like that's the first thing that happens, the kids are enrolled in public school the moment the arrive...free day care as well for them now.

Sorry I just hate that this is happening on our dime. No empathy from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 08:42 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
^and it's equally amazing how people suddenly develop all this faux concern for "our own" homeless, veterans, our working poor...only when colored migrants show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You were recently lecturing people about oriental being outdated and offensive...and you're saying colored.
Quote:
^Yeah, I tend to call out posters who use thinly veiled references to the same.

Property values dropping? Give me a break and tell me with a straight face that would be the sentiment were it White migrants.
You are missing the point.

The term "colored" is considered outdated and offensive.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:52 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
From what I could see the poster said people who recently bought a home at that price in Woburn will be p*ssed that their city is now a place where migrants are being housed in hotels. I don't see anything mentioned about property values dropping...although maybe they will? People don't want to spend a lot of money for a house in a town that is housing migrants. Think about what will happen to the public schools in the fall. Seems like that's the first thing that happens, the kids are enrolled in public school the moment the arrive...free day care as well for them now.

Sorry I just hate that this is happening on our dime. No empathy from me.

I imagine Woburn prices will come down either way once the housing madness is over with.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I wonder how all those folks who've been buying overpriced $800-1M homes in Woburn feel now?!

https://whdh.com/news/woburn-dealing...-local-hotels/
Quote:
Trying to follow your logic. So you're saying our property values will go down because we're temporarily housing migrants in a couple of hotels in town?

I don't think it's temporary. And we're talking about 100 families.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:06 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
You are missing the point.

The term "colored" is considered outdated and offensive.
From someone who didn't know Orientals was outdated & offensive?

FYI...we still refer to People Of Color (POCs), and guess what the last 2 letters of NAACP stand for?

Old 08-22-2023, 10:12 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I imagine Woburn prices will come down either way once the housing madness is over with.
who knows. Woburn is fairly close to Boston...and it's been a while since prices have gone down anywhere. I personally don't find Woburn to be a desirable place to live but I know people that moved there around 2015 because it was a decent commute to Cambridge.

When will the housing madness be over with? It doesnt seem like it will ever be over in the Boston area.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:12 AM

It's 2023, htfdcolt. You can't talk like Archie Bunker and say "colored".

Old 08-22-2023, 10:14 AM

Default re

Quote:
I don't think it's temporary. And we're talking about 100 families.
it's not temporary. I don't imagine the same people will be living in hotels forever...but this seems to be the way it's going to be done. Where those people go once their time is up at the hotel, I dont know...but I'm not sure why they would leave MA if they can get section 8 and many other benefits.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
It's 2023, htfdcolt. You can't talk like Archie Bunker and say "colored".
In his defense he sounded frustrated and seems to think WE here are the ones who have a problem with these migrants coming here in droves to live for free because they happen to be people of color. I don't care what color they are, they're creating a mess.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:20 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
who knows. Woburn is fairly close to Boston...and it's been a while since prices have gone down anywhere. I personally don't find Woburn to be a desirable place to live but I know people that moved there around 2015 because it was a decent commute to Cambridge.

When will the housing madness be over with? It doesnt seem like it will ever be over in the Boston area.

Nobody "wants" to live in Woburn, it's basically where you move if you can't afford any of the surrounding towns. If the housing market cools, it will be the first to drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts