Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 11:22 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
No surprising though.
Rhode Island is the "dumb" state of New England.

https://katiecouric.com/lifestyle/tr...-states-in-us/
Including SAT scores is an interesting metric given about half the states use ACT instead. It ends up skewing SAT scores in those states upward as only the top students who are gunning for the top national universities are even taking the SAT there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 11:35 AM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm a bit surprised by the literacy rates. I knew that they wouldn't be 100%, but figures in the 70s and 80s are lower than where I would have expected them to be. 10-15% of the adult population in the "smartest" states can't read? And closer to 30% in the "least smart" states? That's kind of scary.
Did you see this article?

https://turnto10.com/news/crisis-in-...ence-district#

Old 10-05-2023, 12:15 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Massachusetts has the highest average IQ in the US

Hmm, MA is only 6.50% black and 7.18% Asian (Wikipedia).

What is MA doing to attract more blacks?

Old 10-05-2023, 02:27 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Northern New England has no cities. Those states don’t have the recent immigrants with ESL that pull down math and reading scores. Average SAT scores are meaningless without qualifying what fraction is actually taking the test. If you’re in a state where the state schools don’t require SAT/ACT tests, only the top of the class that might go to college out of state is going to spend the money and expend the time.

IQ tests have so much bias that they’re not all that meaningful. If you grow up doing intellectual things that raise your score, it doesn’t mean you’re smarter than someone who was parked in front of a television. There were Korean identical twins separated as toddlers who were recently measured with a 16 point I.Q. difference.
A 16 point differential isn't exactly massive. The heritability of IQ has been quantified (to an extent) by psychologists, and although I can't recall the percentage they arrived at offhand (strike one against my supposedly high IQ!), it's fair to say that genetics and environment both play substantial roles. I recently read a quote in the book 'The Confidence Game' by poker-playing psychologist Maria Konnikova that I really like(d): 'Genetics loads the gun; environment pulls the trigger.' She didn't coin that maxim herself, for what it's worth, but rather characterized it as something of a social scientific cliche

ETA that other studies I've seen have found that IQ tends to remain relatively stable across the lifespan of a given individual, barring a traumatic brain injury or what have you. So environmental effects are likely much more important at an early age, given those findings, despite the reality of neuroplasticity

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 10-05-2023 at 03:21 PM..

Old 10-05-2023, 02:32 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Massachusetts has the highest average IQ in the US

Hmm, MA is only 6.50% black and 7.18% Asian (Wikipedia).

What is MA doing to attract more blacks?
Hmm, sounds like a racially derogatory remark from someone with a less-than-average IQ.

BTW MA is 9.5 percent black and 7.7 Asian.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...A,US/RHI125219

Old 10-05-2023, 02:33 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Huh???

There are over 60 langues spoken in the Portland public schools.
With that spelling, I assume you're speaking one of the other 59+. J/k

Old 10-05-2023, 03:16 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Northern New England has no cities. Those states don’t have the recent immigrants with ESL that pull down math and reading scores. Average SAT scores are meaningless without qualifying what fraction is actually taking the test. If you’re in a state where the state schools don’t require SAT/ACT tests, only the top of the class that might go to college out of state is going to spend the money and expend the time.

IQ tests have so much bias that they’re not all that meaningful. If you grow up doing intellectual things that raise your score, it doesn’t mean you’re smarter than someone who was parked in front of a television. There were Korean identical twins separated as toddlers who were recently measured with a 16 point I.Q. difference.
I always thought IQ was measured in elementary school and they used IQ tests. IQ is pretty much genetically determined. What can seem to increase the IQ would be the ability to score well on tests, being able to read the questions well, having life experiences that are relevant to the questions on the IQ test, etc.

It would be extremely rare to see a 16 point difference but depending upon how they were raised, how well they spoke the language, it could happen, I guess.

MA would have higher IQ kids because there are lots of very intelligent parents living here. Their offspring would inherit their intelligence. If MA has so many high IQ kids, then we should also have high scores in reading and math, but apparently we do not. But then there are also so many other factors--are they measuring the IQs of kids who are in private schools or only the public schools, for instance. I think the information doesn't tell us a lot but it gives us a general hint. Too many factors not taken into consideration.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:34 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I'm not sure that IQ is always genetically determined. I've seen people who have had a lot of kids on very different ends of the spectrum. One might easily get all As and the tony might have a learning disability and no interest in school

Old 10-05-2023, 03:53 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not sure that IQ is always genetically determined. I've seen people who have had a lot of kids on very different ends of the spectrum. One might easily get all As and the tony might have a learning disability and no interest in school
That's because siblings don't necessarily inherit the same genetics unless they are identical twins.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:57 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's because siblings don't necessarily inherit the same genetics unless they are identical twins.
Sure. There's plenty of smart parents out there who assume they'll sleep have smart kids but it doesn't always work that way. Same goes for athletics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts